Author Topic: Diary - Saturday 6th February  (Read 2230 times)

guest141721

Re: Diary - Saturday 6th February
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 February 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Talking of the A30 Griff reminds me of a holiday OH and I had with close friends in England some fifteen years ago. We'd rented a cottage in St. Keverne in Cornwall and hired a car to drive down from Heathrow. After a few nights in the Mendips we took the M5 down past Exeter and then branched off the A30 onto Dartmoor. Stopped at the Warren House Inn for lunch and then drove on. Just before Two Bridges OH says "Where's my handbag?" A thorough search of the car failed to unearth said handbag. Now both OH's and my passports plus all our holiday cash and credit cards were in the handbag. Total panic ensued. I envisaged us having to go back to the Swedish Embassy in London for emergency passports - I have dual English and Swedish nationality and travelled on my Swedish passport. Lifted OH back into the car, friends in back seat a quick three point turn and a run back to the inn which Lewis Hamilton would have been proud of avoiding sheep lying in the road. A search of area round the outdoor table where we'd sat revealed nothing so I wheeled OH into the inn and up to the bar. The barman took one look at OH, reached under the bar pulled out OH's handbag and said "I think this is your handbag madam". Someone had found it where OH had left it by the table and handed it in. The barman had checked the contents and recognised OH from her passport photo - that in itself is remarkable as we all know what passport photos look like. No information as to who had handed the bag in so we could thank them in the proper manner but all contents were intact down to the last penny. After OH and friends had a couple of stiff drinks and OH a couple of smokes to calm their nerves we resumed our journey at a now legal speed.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 February 21 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Glyn, I can't imagine the panic. I throw a wobbly when I mislay my keys or wallet inside the house, let alone outside. That sick feeling in the pit of the stomach, so the thought of losing all that would see me reaching for the OH's Diazepam.
Nice to know there are some very honest people about though.

Oh and I read your last post, only one thing to say to that,
Dark, depressive, gun toting, volvo driving Wallendar!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 February 21 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Griff, lovely photo, you certainly have a beautiful outlook there.

Ruskie, the chicken was a success, I think Caroline put some parsley in and I forgot about that but would ass it if I made it again. I would also have done extra tomatoes or perhaps ratatouille (from a tin!) to make the meal a bit more moist. I tend to make my own versions of things, couldn't even aspire to turn out the lovely dishes that Caroline does.
I've recorded all of the episodes of The Drowning, will watch a couple together. Can't even imagine what unpleasantly hot is like at the moment, we've got blizzards here! The very fine dry stuff so it's not laying at the moment, fingers crossed it stays that way.

MH, pleased to hear you got out and wore your big coat.  :D Sonds like a beautiful peaceful walkl lovely to watch all the seabirds going about their business. Our local ones seem to be all on the nearby field lately, there was a huge flock the other day.

Glywri, I once left my handbag on the shelf under the table in a pub in the centre of York. Hadn't got far down the street before I realised, the couple who were sitting at the table looked a bit puzzles when I came hurtling in, they hadn't even noticed it. Phew!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

guest141721

« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 February 21 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Another off topic post. I'm currently ploughing through all the tips on my various family trees on Ancestry. I have my late mum's partner on my tree and am helping him too. Found some interesting tips for his 4 times great grandfather so decided to check them out. One led me to a public family tree so I had a look The tree contained over seventeen thousand names including Cleopatra and Gaius Julius Caesar as well as most of the kings of England going back to William the Conqueror. Now I'm no expert on ancient history but I was always under the impression that Cleopatra and Julius Caesar were lovers and that she had his child and that Julius Caesar was assassinated in Rome in 44BC. However with the information from this family tree it seems that the history books must be rewritten as Julius Caesar was Cleopatra's half-brother and that he died in 1944 in Rome, Oneida County, New York!

It does make you wonder why on earth some people have family trees at all.

Glyn

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 February 21 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Glad your chicken turned out well Roobarb. I'm not very good at cooking chicken breasts and tend to overdo it, with rubbery results. I generally adapt recipes to suit as well. Something I've always found odd - they don't sell ratatouille in tins here. I found it very handy and often used it in my cheat's moussaka. :)

Added: Glyn, that all sounds correct and reasonable to me.  ;D

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 February 21 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Glyn, there  is a clever chap related to H who has the tree including half the medieval royal families of Europe.
Interesting, because l can't get beyond the 1778 bastardy bond citing a Totnes tanner!!

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 February 21 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, it's the second best place I've ever lived, I can't see me ever moving from here though.

Glyn, my OH has roots back to Frankish royalty, Troy and goodness knows what through her Jocelyn line according to a tree I found, a direct link back to Sir Percival Jocelyn, Norman Knight, 1066 and all that! I used to bow to her and call her "princess" but she threatened me with banishment to the spare room.
The spare bed in there is surprisingly comfy and there's no snoring.

guest141721

« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 February 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Griff be careful what you wish for. Though like me I suspect that you gladly put up with things like  snoring, leakages in the middle of the night etc just to be close to the one you love.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 February 21 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Griff be careful what you wish for. Though like me I suspect that you gladly put up with things like  snoring, leakages in the middle of the night etc just to be close to the one you love.
Absolutely, and tbh, it's during the night that things usually happen.
I've had a few early hours emergencies with high temps, low Sats, laboured breathing and delirium.