Author Topic: Where is Langfield?  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Langfield?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Robert Smith was buried in January 1859, but I think he died in December 1858, along with his wife Grace.  The GRO gives his death as December 1858, with nobody else named Robert Smith two years either side of this.
A GRO reference is to the last month of the quarter in which the registration was made which is not necessarily the of death. He probably died late Dec, the death was registered before the 31st Dec then buried at the beginning of Jan.

Yes it would be the December quarter, but I assumed that because he was buried in January he would have died in December rather than earlier.  They would have buried him as soon as they could.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Of course; I have searched the newspapers online but couldn't find reference to Grace or Robert's deaths. I was just being picky [sorry  :-[ ] that the GRO didn't 'give the death' as December, merely that it was registered in the Dec quarter; as you'll know the only way to find an exact date of death is via the death certificate [though it is occasionally noted on the burial record].
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Of course; I have searched the newspapers online but couldn't find reference to Grace or Robert's deaths. I was just being picky [sorry  :-[] that the GRO didn't 'give the death' as December, merely that it was registered in the Dec quarter; as you'll know the only way to find an exact date of death is via the death certificate [though it is occasionally noted on the burial record].

I was probably being picky, it is just that I noticed that both Robert and Grace Smith died in the December quarter 1858, and Robert's burial was in January 1859.  Often on trees people mix up death dates with burials, and birth dates with baptisms, and they are usually close together especially deaths and burials, and often the baptism is all you have anyway.  I try to gather a lot of detail as it helps me be sure I have the right people.

I have puzzled over Robert and Grace Smith for a long time, and finally I think I have reasonably accurate information about them.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 15:59 GMT (UK) »
It does. That sexton’s list is brilliant if you are lucky enough to find an ancestor on it. It always lists, where known, the parents of the person buried there, even the wives.

There could be slight variations in the translations eg Newall could easily be Nowell.

Mary would have been the wife of William. The husband and wife were usually translated on consecutive lines

Yes I am finding the name given as sometimes Newall and sometimes Nowell.

Thanks for that sexton's list especially Grace's parents as William and Mary Nowell.  This is what I had down, but I didn't have a reliable source.  William Nowell is still hazy, and I have Mary's death as 1802, and various possible marriages for him, including one to somebody called Mally, which could be a Mary.  But the sexton's list information is something definite to refer to for Grace's parents, and also that they lived in Heptonstall.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »
I think Mally was a forename in its own right though maybe derived from Mary; I have noticed it on parish registers in the area [I have several family baptisms at Heptonstall].
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Mankinholes was and is further on the side of the valley from the Langfield  (or Longfield )area. In Todmorden three valleys meet, and Langfield is a roughly triangular uplandish  area.
Although Todmorden is in West Yorkshire, it is also listed in Lancs Parish Clerks, which can be handy.
I've heard the name "Mally" used a great deal in that area, both sides of the border., sometimes interchanged with "Molly" also for "Mary", but as well as that also used as a shortened form of "Malinda" or "Melinda" - meaning something about honey or sweetness.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 22:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage of a William Nowell to a Mary Beasley of Heptonstall recorded in the St. John’s Halifax register in 1784 though that is a bit late in Grace was born c1780

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 22:39 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage of a William Nowell to a Mary Beasley of Heptonstall recorded in the St. John’s Halifax register in 1784 though that is a bit late in Grace was born c1780

I have Grace as born in 1788, but there are conflicting records and I am not sure exactly when she was born. 

I just looked on familysearch.org and the only baptism I can find, using the search 1777-1788, is Grace Nowell Christening 29 March 1785 Heptonstall, father:  William Nowell.  From England Births and Christenings 1538-1975.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 11 February 21 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I got Robert Smith's death certificate.  He died 13th December 1858 Knowl Wood, Walsden, age 82.  Outdoor labourer.  Cause of death old age, no medical attendant.  Informant William Smith present at the death, abode Picks Wood, Todmorden.  Registered on 13th December 1858 Todmorden.

I wish it had stated the relationship of the Informant to the deceased, but I assume it was Robert's son William.  William's abode on the 1851 census was just shown as Gauxholme.  I looked up Picks Wood on the map linked to in this thread, but couldn't find it.

The 1851 census gives Robert as Labourer, all work, so it does seem to be the same person.

Poor old guy, he is labouring outdoors at age 82, has no medical attendant to give a cause of death, and it takes over a month to bury him.