Author Topic: Margaret HAWES [1840-1868] - need precise date & place of death  (Read 1382 times)

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret HAWES [1840-1868] - need precise date & place of death
« on: Monday 08 February 21 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have just found out the burial details of this direct relative of mine. She was buried in Abney Park Cemetery, Stoke Newington, Middlesex, UK, on 20 Oct 1868. She lived at 57 Margaret Street, Haggerstone, Middlesex, UK. She was born on 8 Jul 1840 in Attleborough, Norfolk, UK, maiden name Sivell. She married George Hawes [1838-1915] on 17 Sep 1861 in Tibenham, Norfolk, UK. Her son William Sivell Hawes was born in 57 Mgt St on 16 May 1868, who was buried near his mother on 1 Apr 1869. I have searched for over 2y for her death info on many of the main genealogy & death/burial websites, with no result !! I WOULD BE VERY, VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANY HELP WITH THIS. Thanks in anticipation, Michael

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret HAWES [1840-1868] - need precise date & place of death
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 01:12 GMT (UK) »
If you want her exact death date & place of death you will have to buy a copy of her death cert. 

William’s birth & death were registered as William Swell Hawes.  No death reg for Margaret
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Daughter Georgiana b 1862 Depwade mmn Sivell but shown as George - son in 1871
Son Edgar Francis 1865 Depwade
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carole, Nice to see your cat picture again. You helped me a lot with the 1st time I asked for help on RootsChat 3-4y ago, to do with Margaret's death. It has taken me until now to make any progress at all !!!! But now I have this burial date & details, it is a major step forward. She almost certainly died upto 7 days prior to this burial, but I have searched high & low, without success, for a death event in Ancestry, FindMyPast, FS, Deceased Online, GRO, Find A Grave, & all the Free... websites & have found nothing !!! I have also done wide-ranging searches for different name spellings etc. The fact that Margaret's name was spelt correctly on the grave list, & that she was buried in quite a fancy cemetery, makes me think that she was loved by her husband [a Coal Dealer]. I also think that as the cemetery was for Dissenters, there might possibly be connections with Non-Conformist Churches. Once I get a GRO reference, I shall immediately order her death cert !! If you are able to help further, I would be very grateful. With best wishes, Michael

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 09:33 GMT (UK) »
There is a possibility that her death registration was missed when the initial index was made. Alternatively because the index was originally hand written and later typed, she could have  been missed off then.

As you can narrow down her death to the latter part of March 1868, I would contact the local Register Office and ask them if they would check their records.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your post & the info therein. I still hold out the hope that I will find out the date & place somehow & get hold of her death cert, as she is in my core FT, & the only date/place missing going back 5 generations

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Do we assume, as Find A Grave don’t list Margaret Hawes at Abney Park, that there’s nothing left to read on her headstone?

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lily, Thank you for your thoughts on my FT problem. I am not sure about details on any headstone in APC, but I have contacted them to see if they have any further info, [I am waiting for a reply - delayed because of Covid]. I have plot, section & index info as well. Her details in the APC database are very accurate. I do wonder whether FMG have not got info from APC. I have come across this with Ilford Cemetery, which is not on their database either. Any further info or thoughts from you would be very helpful. Best wishes, Michael

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 16:19 GMT (UK) »
The very extensive records for Abney Park Cemetery are held at Hackney Archives and are accessed there on microfilm.

https://hackney.gov.uk/archives

They're currently closed, of course, but they're answering remote email enquires.