Author Topic: South Lodge Kirknewton  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Clareuhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Lodge Kirknewton
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 21:39 GMT (UK) »
unbelievable! William Wick, gardener at Kirknewton House 1925 and 1930 same time as James Anderson is there as a Byresman according to VR.
I have been trying to figure out my genetic link to DNA matches sharing Mowat, Sinclair, and Nicholson surnames all from Orkney area, and go figure William Wick born in Hoy, Orkney to mother Mary Ann Sinclair Nicholson.
So....he impregnates both Elizabeth and Agnes in 1929?
I am finding an Elizabeth Anderson daughter of James Anderson in 1901 census, but not seeing any records of Agnes and no birth records for Agnes Anderson in Kirknewton in a year range that would make sense.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I am seeing the same as you....although not sure if William Wick is daddy to both Elizabeth and Agnes's children  ;) But certainly good to see them both there on that list.

The Elizabeth Anderson from 1901 with father James, is that the one with mother Catherine McLeod? The most helpful now would be to find James father with daughters Elizabeth and Agnes on the 1911 census (which is only available on the pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Clareuhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 February 21 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica. In the 1911 census for Kirknewton the 2 entries for James Anderson don't match, and when I try combinations of James Anderson and Agnes or Elizabeth Anderson broadening to Midlothian there are >20 matches. Not sure how to narrow this down or what the next step I should take. Unfortunate that James, Elizabeth and Agnes are all common names. I would love to find out who Agnes was. I have many DNA matches to Orkney Andersons some of whom immigrated to Manitoba Canada Hudson Bay Company , but I can't seem to work down to a Kirknewton connection.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 February 21 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I tried the same and couldn't  come up with an answer either. My only thought was that Agnes may have been born just after 1911? Not sure about Elizabeth either. Sorry but not convinced that the 1901 census for James with a daughter Elizabeth are actually the correct ones.

James could have moved around the country for work so the girls could have been born almost anywhere.

You have DNA matches to Anderson's from Orkney this makes me wonder if James was originally from there?

Back to searching and see if we can find anything more.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 February 21 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Interesting the continuing Orkney connection, now with the Anderson name.

I have spent a little while trying to see if I could find anything with the name Margaret Douglas. Douglas maybe as a middle name not necessarily used for surname. Just thinking about your grandmother and the names used, Margaret Douglas Wick Anderson. The Wick is beginning to look very much as if it might be connected to the gardener William Kirk... The Margaret Douglas I wondered whether it could connect to Agnes's mother's name. The Scots (and Irish) liked to often use naming pattern for their children. Not always used or used in order, but amazing how often family names do feature and also surnames connected to mother's family side were often used (see for example www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm).

Not making much headway so far  :-\

Monica

Offline Clareuhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 February 21 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dorrie and Monica. I agree that I don’t have too much confidence in that 1901 census looking into it more.
Good possibility Agnes was born after 1911 if she was still referred to as “daughter of” on Margaret’s birth cert in 1929.
I’ll certainly keep digging at the Orkney connection and good idea about Douglas

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 February 21 08:28 GMT (UK) »
It won't be all that long now until the 1921 census becomes available.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 February 21 19:23 GMT (UK) »
A little more on William Wick. From your tree on a/try (?), see you found that likely death in 1973 in Peebles for a 79 yr old William Work Wick. The middle name of Work fits exactly with the family you identified in Orkney www.bayanne.info/Shetland/getperson.php?personID=I424656&tree=ID1

I think after Kirknewton, at some point he moved to Craig, Forfar. There is this entry showing on the 1935 valuation rolls on SP:

William WICK
Inhabitant Occupier
HOUSE CRAIG GARDENS ESTATE OF CRAIG
CRAIG
VR008800088-

The 1940 valuation rolls (and the last currently available online on SP) show a William Wick, a gardener, living at 9 Danube Street, Edinburgh. Ancestry have the Edinburgh electoral rolls on their databases. They show the 1940 entry at that address, see below.

So who was Mrs Annie Wick? I can only see one possible marriage for a William Wick and that was back in Orkney in 1935.

William moved away from Edinburgh quite soon after this as he doesn't show (or I couldn't see) further entries in the electoral rolls for Edinburgh for him.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 February 21 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Clare, something to mention in case you are not familiar with this. The Scots and Irish loved first name variants. Some obvious, some not so much  ::) Sometimes with variants, you can find one entry/document with one name and another doc with the variant, and back and forth...

Agnes has name variants which include Annie and Nancy, see www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=agnes

Monica