Author Topic: South Lodge Kirknewton  (Read 2629 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: South Lodge Kirknewton
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare  :)

Still a struggle isn't it  :-\

I have been running through it all again in the last day or so. Cannot get any further clues so far. I have found family units in 1921 with a James, father and daughters Elizabeth and Agnes, but so far the occupation for the Jameses is all wrong. I even found a marriage for a James Anderson to a Maggie Douglas Wilson in Edinburgh in 1900...but he was a solicitor!

The only new piece of info I have found so far is that following the death of Kenneth Wick Anderson not long after his birth in 1929, brother William died too, aged 3 months. Cause of death given as congenital birth desease. He died in Colinton. I can't make out the address. Elizabeth showing here as a domestic servant, normally resident at South Lodge, Kirknewton. A Violet S McKenzie was the informant to baby William's death. She shows as 'occupier', a term used which normally simply means she lived at the address where the death took place.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 21:51 BST (UK) »
I can't make out the address.
Can you post it here?

IIRC the Edinburgh Combination Poorhouse was at Craiglockhart, which is in the parish of Colinton.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 30 August 23 22:26 BST (UK) »
Address from baby William's death registration below:

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 07 September 23 23:11 BST (UK) »
Monica,

It's Comiston Road although the 1st part is beyond me?
It may be 144...

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/history/creepy-abandoned-edinburgh-lodge-hid-23166406

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 08 September 23 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Annie  :)

As Forfarian also mentioned earlier, does look to have a connection to Edinburgh Combination Poorhouse (hospital facilities?).

Monica

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 08 September 23 15:05 BST (UK) »
See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.0&lat=55.91822&lon=-3.22178&layers=168&b=1&marker=NaN,NaN - there aren't many buildings that far out on Comiston Road. It's entirely possible that 144 Comiston Road was the street address of the whole complex, not just the gate lodge.

BTW this is not the City Hospital at Craiglockhart to which I referred the other day.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 08 September 23 18:13 BST (UK) »
Clare,

Have you tried the LEEDS Method on your DNA matches to narrow down matches on your g/mother's maternal side as her mother may have married/had more children & Elizabeth the same?

It's best you google The Leeds Method as there are so many different things to read through (plus videos) based on different peoples' experiences, who they're trying to find & how best to do it.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"