Author Topic: Diary - Weds 10th February  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Weds 10th February
« on: Thursday 11 February 21 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Morning All: I will risk it and start off today....
Another very stormy night, but the wind was coming at the back of the building so not too noisy.  The high tide was throwing over into the park, and very few people brave enough to be out exercising.
I have completed 2 weeks of twice daily bp readings for the GP, not excellent, but if he takes issue I can honestly say that I am managing to lose a few pounds, and will do the readings again before adding new medications.
Put some stewing beef in the slow cooker for the evening meal, then after lunch went out to do a few errands and meet a friend for a distanced walk. She lives alone and is feeling very isolated.
The winds was blasting straight in off the sea along the Esplanade, though we did brave it as far as Preston, then we turned inland and returned via side streets, Oldway Mansion and Victoria Park to keep out of the way from any other crazy people out in that weather.
Regarding new grandson, heard that mother and baby doing well and hoping for a video call tomorrow.
So that's another day over, and one nearer to summer I suppose.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Wednesday 10th February
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 February 21 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Well looks I’d better start off the diary!

Awoke to a sunny day but once again very cold and we kept getting light flurries of snow in the air that at times we’re almost imperceptible...
After a nice bowl of porridge for breakfast OH started on his bread making duties..
I set to and got my house cleaning kit out.... never very enthusiastic but once I’ve started I’m fine and just get in with it...
Striped my bed and got it in the washing machine... knew it would have to be hung indoors as at 1C it wasn’t going to dry outside... when it started to spin the machine made the dreadful noise it had made the other day... phoned and left a message with the repair place... another trades person going to be in the house... but can’t live without a washer... it was bought in Nov 2017 so not that old... why don’t they make things to last these days!
Got a frantic FaceTime from our daughter... could we entertain youngest grandson as they’d got some issue with the eldest one...
I read him some stories... he’s a chatty little soul and informed me it was his birthday on Thursday...
I know I said! Can’t believe you’ll be five...
That’s what mummy said ... he I told me!
Not sure how long we had stories and chat but eventually all was well and we said goodbye!
Late lunch as is usual on bread baking days!
Spoke to my friend whose in isolation... she’d had a bad reaction to antibiotics she’d had for her chest... NHS still monitoring her and said could be the covid that’s caused that so stop taking them... she’s feeling pretty awful and said she’d got a bag packed in case... quite worried about her so will keep in contact...
decided to get my family history stuff out and proceeded to look at another branch of the family. OH busy with another jigsaw... champing at the bit to get out into the garden but too cold and soggy to do anything yet... bulbs all starting to show their green shoots and snowdrops looking very pretty...
Dinner was shepherds pie with cabbage..
Watched some tv... Landscape Artist which for once all contestants were able to actually paint ..... wasn’t that keen on the wild card choice but all the main artists contributions were acceptable, in my humble opinion!... I liked the one they chose and thought the person a worthy winner...

And so to bed... hope others are coping with cold and snow... or hot weather!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Weds 10th February
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 February 21 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear looks like we’ve posted at similar times... shall I ask mods to combine?

Added - just asked for them to be combined!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 February 21 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Put mine on at 08:01 Caroline but did modify just.
Does it disappear while that happens?
Yes, please alert the mods.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 February 21 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Diaries merged by the time I've joined in so no chance of my confusing things further!

MH, I'm sure that your walk with your friend will have helped her despite the weather, it's so much nicer to have company for a walk, even in such weather. I hope that your daily walks have a positive effect on your blood pressure. Pleased to hear that the new baby and his mother are doing well.

Caroline, hope you soon get your washing machine fixed, it's so frustrating when they go wrong. Sorry to hear your friend has been so poorly, such a worry.

Here's my Wednesday diary:

Felt pretty fed up all day, it was another day of snow showers alternating with sunshine. Temperatures too low for me to risk the icy pavements, haven't been for a walk since Saturday and it's getting to me.

Had set myself a reminder to get a Tesco delivery slot so I signed in and realised that I was aiming at a day that was four days later than I wanted. Luckily I got a slot on the right day, tried to add all the groceries from a previous order to my basket to save time but it kept buffering and going back to the same page. Thought it was a problem with my tablet so signed onto the laptop, same thing, grrr. Eventually did it and paid then it messed me about again, wasn't sure if it had taken the payment until I got a confirmation email.
Did a bit of Pilates, my heart wasn't in it. Retrieved the bin from the street then more housework.

Later on I did the tonal sketch for the next art project, a snowy landscape, very appropriate. Breaded some cod loin for tea, new new potatoes, veg. Watched Landscape Artist, none of the paintings wowed me, I thought they were all rather bland, not an easy scene to make anything of. I didn't like the wildcard winner either, I thought the colours were a bit garish for the scene. I still enjoyed the programme though.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 February 21 11:20 GMT (UK) »
It took me so long to write this that the 2 Wednesday threads had been merged.

MH, I heard that BP readings taken at home are more reliable than those taken in the doctor’s surgery, which doesn’t surprise me at all. You can see the fluctuations through the day, and avoid those peaks due to stress when sitting in the chair by the doctor.  :)

Every time you talk about your fresh home made bread Caroline, I get huge cravings.  ;D Not good news about your friend. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I am interested to hear how people who catch covid get on, so thanks for that update. I hope she feels better soon.

Aw Roobarb, I’m sorry to hear you are fed up, but it’s completely understandable. Although I do love the cold weather and snow, ice terrifies me, so I am not surprised you avoid going out when it is icy.

Temperature here was a bit cooler on Wednesday, with some cloud cover. A different start to my day ... a very early dentist appointment.  It’s been a while - I think my last visit was August 2019. I wouldn’t have gone so soon  ;) but had a couple of annoying chips which needed fixing. A couple of covid measures were in place - sanitise hands, chairs in waiting area set further apart, and rinse with a special mouthwash. Just the usual mask and gloves for dentist and his assistant. I don’t like going to the dentist so it was a relief to get it over with.

OH and I then went to see my father. He was all kitted up in work clothes with his brush cutter and ride on mower, so we went to the back of his property to poison a weed tree which had been ringbarked a few years ago, but was still living. After having a look around I snuck off and left them to it, and stopped off to grab a few groceries. Caroline - marmite is back on the shelves! Oh joy! Not that your son is in need of any. After pouring poison into cuts in the tree father and OH pulled up some lantana. It’s such a pest, and is everywhere. OH quite was wiped out and very sweaty by the time he came home, and suffering with a sore back. My father (aged 89) completely unaffected by the exertion.  ::)

Watched an episode of “Gentleman Jack” - it was a bit raunchy.  ;D

Same boring dog walk - dog is a creature of habit and presumably wants to check out the same route every day to see what’s been happening in her neighbourhood. Unfortunately she is usually resistant to my efforts to take her a different way.

Pizza for dinner - for the base I use purchased dough balls which I stretch or roll out, this time topped with mushrooms and far too many toppings and cheese, so it all flows over the base onto the tray. They always taste OK though.

That’s about it for my Wednesday. I’ve omitted the boring bits.  ;D ;D ;D

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to hear you got the dental appointment done with Ruskie. I lost a filling in the spring, have eaten on the other side of my mouth since then, no idea when my dentist will reopen.
Your dad sounds like quite the man! Good to hear he's so energetic at that age.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Likewise Roobarb. I have 2 broken teeth now, and my dentist won't even respond to me!

Ref new Baby grandson, we have just been allowed a peep at him on a very brief video call. Chubby rosy little chap, almost 2 days old. More than 9lb born and still awaiting name announcement. 

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 February 21 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to hear you got the dental appointment done with Ruskie. I lost a filling in the spring, have eaten on the other side of my mouth since then, no idea when my dentist will reopen.

It's concerning that people are not getting dental treatment.  Report the matter to healthwatch.co.uk