Author Topic: Edward BEECH b.25 Nov 1866 (possibly Great Bookham, Surrey)  (Read 1347 times)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward BEECH b.25 Nov 1866 (possibly Great Bookham, Surrey)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 February 21 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for searching and finding Edward and Adelaide........  in Scotland! Never thought to search so far afield.

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 February 21 16:46 GMT (UK) »
So, the 1901 Scottish census states Edward Beech was born abt. 1868 in England. The 1939 census doesn't give a place of birth.  As son Thomas was born in Dalmeny, nr Edinburgh, I'm assuming I would have to look at the 1911 Scottish census, which I don't have access to. Can anyone help me here please?

Also, I'm still missing Adelaide Williams' birth record for the same reason (her birth is given as abt. 1871, England (1901 Scottish census) and 14 Oct 1869 (1939 census) ).  Again, can anyone help me please, to enable me to go a little further back with this line.  Thank you.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 February 21 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certificate on SP (had a few credits) states:

Edward Beech  32   Valet      son of Harry Beech, baker (deceased) and Mary Beech, nee Thain?? (deceased)  and Adelaide Williams  31    Ashford Common, nr Staines, Middlesex   dau. or Richard Williams, farmer and Emma Williams, nee Andrews.

Adelaide easy to trace - 1881 Census in Ashford with parents Richard and Emma.   Her birth reg'd Dec.qtr.1869 Staines, baptised 30/10/1869 Sunbury on Thames.

However, Edward Beech not so easy (but not born in Surrey).

His birth registered as Beech in Dec.qtr.1866 Ashby de la Zouch, mmn Shaw.  (Looking at mothers maiden name on marriage certificate think it might actually be Shaw - badly written I think and there's a dot above it.

After finding the birth entry looked on census under Beech and couldn't find him, nor could I find a Harry (or Henry) who was a baker.   After a great deal of rigmarole, it seems the family name was actually Beet!   Henry Beet, baker married Mary Ann Shaw 23/2/1857 - aside from Edward who's birth registered as Beech his siblings born between 1861 and 1873 are all registered as Beet.   Youngest was a Frank born 1873, died 1874 - looks like mother Mary's death also in 1874 but she is registered as Beech.   Cannot find father's death under Harry/Henry Beet/Beech at all.

Eventually found family on 1871 at Measham, Derbyshire under Beet - has a Harry bc.1862 Measham, William bc.1865 Measham, Edward bc.1867 Woodville, Derbyshire and Joseph bc.1870 Measham.

By 1881 Edward is in Seals, Derbyshire as 'Bet', Harry is now Henry Beet, a boarder in Measham, William Beet is in Ashby Workhouse (perhaps ill as died shortly after the census), Joseph is shown as 'cousin' to a family named Insley in Measham.

Cannot find Edward at all in 1891 and by 1901 he is in Scotland as Edward Beech.

The only way to confirm if the 1866 birth entry is your man is to get the birth certificate to confirm his birthdate - registered Beech, raised as Beet and Beech as an adult.   All very odd I know.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 February 21 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Phew, thanks Annette. This certainly was a rigmarole of a search. I'll think about ordering a birth certificate - I ordered one last week for a different tree for someone, and unfortunately the writing was very poor and it didn't offer much more information than I already knew!! And its expensive!  Why is it they charge for these certificates when most family history data is available online?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 February 21 17:36 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 census doesn't give a place of birth. 

It does not give a place of birth because it is not a census  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 February 21 19:29 GMT (UK) »
papers are on Fold3 - I don't have access. As transcribed by Ancestry

Edward Beech
Enlistment Age:    19
Enlistment Year:    1887
Birth Place:    Woodvill Linster
Regiment:    4 Hussars
Regimental Number:    2549

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 February 21 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certificate on SP (had a few credits) states:

Joseph is shown as 'cousin' to a family named Insley in Measham.

Might that be Illesley - there's a nephew and niece Frank & Fanny, b Swadlincote, residing with Henry and Mary in 1861

Looks like Henry reappears - using Beech!

1901 in Bilston

Henry Beech    68 - retired general labourer, b Measham
Ann Beech    81 - wife b Stourbridge

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 February 21 22:51 GMT (UK) »
papers are on Fold3 - I don't have access. As transcribed by Ancestry

Edward Beech
Enlistment Age:    19
Enlistment Year:    1887
Birth Place:    Woodvill Linster
Regiment:    4 Hussars
Regimental Number:    2549

Well found, Mabel Bagshawe!    'Linster' should be Leicester but 'Woodvill' would seem to clinch that Edward was indeed the Edward Beech born 1866 Woodville, Derbyshire (Woodville crosses 2 districts Leicestershire and Derbyshire). Found the record on FindMyPast - he enlisted 23/8/1887 and was then a Groom, discharged 22/8/1899.   Spent 2 years in Ireland (87-89), next of kin given as brothers Harry/Henry (older), Joseph (younger), sister Elizabeth.

Wasn't aware of sister Elizabeth so went back to births and found she was registered Mar.qtr.1872 Ashby de la Zouch, mmn Shaw, and like Edward she is registered as Beech.   In 1881 she is a boarder in Ashby de la Zouch.   Don't know what became of older sister Maria who only appears on 1861 census.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annmax

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 February 22 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I found this chat be accident but I am related to this Edward Beech ( if he was born in Derbyshire as it appears from the thread) . He was the brother of my great grandfather. I have further information about the family if interested.