Author Topic: Diary > Friday 12th February  (Read 813 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 12th February
« on: Saturday 13 February 21 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Posting before I fall asleep, I'm so tired.......

More of the white stuff overnight, showers again during the day and it was absolutely bone numbingly freezing perishingly cold. I scuttled back into bed with my cup of tea and stayed there till I was ready for the next one, then returned to bed with that one too. This is usually a warm house but it certainly took longer to warm up today. My friend from London phoned, he was complaining about how cold it was there, I refrained from asking if he'd had his big coat on!

Art class this afternoon went well, I much prefer the afternoon one, not only because I'm not a morning person but also because there are only four of us so the teacher is able to spend more time with each person and it's easier to talk amongst a small group on Zoom. The teacher and other students liked my drawing of a wren.
Felt tired after class, I always do but also because I woke up early despite a late lights out, I was tired to start with.
My friend L phoned afterwards for a post mortem on the class.

Made a casserole with a chicken breast, needed something like that on such a cold day. TV, hot bath, bed.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 12th February
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 21 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Usual kind of day for me which I won't bore you with - bitterly cold, the worst I've known it this winter.   A brisk wind made it feel worse.    My Tesco delivery arrived at lunch time - when I opened the door the cold nearly cut me in half.   Took me ages to warm up again.

A bright spot of the day - the postman delivered a package which included pictures, notes and a bar of chocolate from my nephews' 4 girls.   Saying how much they love and miss me and can't wait to hug me again.   Was quite overcome for a minute or two. 

This damn pandemic is taking away so much from us but not the love we have.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 February 21 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Well, I have a lot of reading to catch up on but just want to say first congratulations to Mowsehowse, on birth of new Grandchild! Hopefully, parents will reveal the name soon!

My main diary news from yesterday was that I got my first vaccination at the Life Centre in Newcastle last night!
I should have got my vaccine a while back in beginning of January (on account of my Keyworker role).  However, as I once had a very severe allergic reaction to a particular medication in my twenties and had to go to hospital, the doctor advised not have that one as a precaution.  However, doctor gave the go ahead this week for me to have the Oxford jab.
Despite reassurance from the doctor that this would be safe for me to have, I had mixed emotions as I made my way to the Life Centre last night.  I felt grateful to be finally getting this but also apprehensive, on account of my past history.
There were lots of people at the Life Centre who were there to have their jabs but it seemed to be extremely well managed regarding safety and the queue went down fast.  I asked one cheerful young woman who was managing a queue if it had been a long day for her.  She told me that they were volunteers doing 4 hours.
After, I had been asked a few questions I was directed into one of a cubicles set up.  There was a man there who asked a few questions and typing on a computer and a nurse who administered the 'jab'.  It was all over in half a second and didn't really feel like a jab at all.  The needle was so fine I hardly felt anything at all.  It didn't feel at all like the 'jab' sensation you get from usual injections. 
I was then directed to a waiting area where people were sitting spaced out.  There was a sign displayed asking people to wait for 15 minutes for observation.  I sat feeling a tad anxious for about a minute thinking about my past allergy, (despite) doctor's assurances it is safe.  Then when nothing happened I spent the rest of the waiting time messaging family and letting them know I have had it done.
This morning when I woke up I was prepared to feel a bit sore or a 'bit under the weather' but so far I don't feel any different.  A nurse said I might feel 'under the weather' for a couple of days.  You are given a list of possible symptoms that 1 in 10 or 1 in 100 might experience.  I had to press my arm this morning to feel any tenderness at all.  This was a bit reassuring as I was starting to doubt that I have had anything done at all.  I suppose I must fall into the large percentage of nothing being noted.
Well, I feel very glad now that I have had this done and extremely grateful to all the people who have made this safe to have even for people like me with a past severe allergy experience.  I know it will take a while longer for the full effects to kick in but I will feel a bit more protected now.  And when I get the next one (not until May) hopefully I will be even safer again!  Happy days! :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 February 21 08:12 GMT (UK) »
RTL - lovely to hear from you ....
Very pleased to hear that despite your anxiety over the jab you’re doctor has reassured you that the AZ/Oxford one would be ok... in your line of work it must also be a great relief to know that you will now have some immunity... good news too that you’ve not had any reactions... thank you for sharing your experience with us too..

Annette - how lovely to receive a gift from your nephews girls... in these days it’s so nice to feel loved and needed.... hopefully we’ll all get to see our nearest and dearest soon...

Roobarb- glad you enjoyed your art class, small is perfect when discussing these things...

The cold has certainly been a factor in all our lives recently..

My day was the usual round of nothing much... after yesterday’s excitement it was definitely quiet!
I only opened the front door once to receive some items from a friend and we didn’t stand on the doorstep for long as it was freezing and I didn’t want the house to get cold!
I did some family research in the afternoon and we had a game of scrabble which I won... OH says he thinks he might throw in the towel as he’s fed up with getting rubbish letters and loosing!
Dinner was something simple and normal evening...

The thought of living with these restrictions for months to come is becoming quite wearing now... like everyone else I just want to see my family, give them a big hug and have them in the house to stay.... it’s not much to ask really... but I can’t think when that’ll be....

Keep safe and well and warm!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 February 21 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Up at 06:15 as the stormy winds were really noisy again making it hard to sleep.
The forecast anticipates it will continue all weekend, possibly into next week.
Yesterday was my late mother's birthday, and also that of the grandfather who left home when my father was 5, after the birth of my Aunt.
An hour after high tide the wind was blowing the sea right into the park which, in the half light, seemed to be mainly under standing water, and masses of seagulls flocking there.
The prom was totally awash and I could see that South Beach was covered too, which is most unusual.
Just had word that another 3 friends who are younger than I am have had their vax.
3 hours after high tide, water was still crashing over the sea wall and blowing into the park.
I suspect it might be a "light cardy day" for all my chums in the Frozen North!  ;)
So grateful I don't have to endure that.... I've been wearing 5 layers in the house as it is!
Managed to find a Poirot on TV I don't think I had seen before, and watched the Stonehenge programme.  I did like the sledge experiment.
Good to see that RTL has had her vaccination without ill effect. Phew.
And that everyone else is going on ok; what a lovely surprise for you Annette.
Another photo from proud dad with Baby, but still no gleeful communication from the new mum....
I have to say I begin to be slightly concerned.  This generation of continuous selfies and photos shared on the mobile in seconds....... I don't know what to think, but of course I am only the step-mother. 
I posted the 3 little hats I made, with pompoms and a card. Don't know what else I can do.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 February 21 14:42 GMT (UK) »
How thoughtful of the girls to send you those things Annette, that must have brightened the rest of your day.

Great to hear that you had your jab and all is well RTL, I can understand your feeling anxious about it, you must have felt tremendously relieved afterwards.

Caroline, I agree that things are becoming wearing but I'm sure the rollout of the vaccine will have soon have some positive effects and even if we can't get back to normal soon we might be able to enjoy some things that we can't at the moment. I don't think the weather has helped, being indoors all the time doesn't make you feel good. The forecast is much warmer next week so getting outside, even if only in the garden will help.

A poignant day for you MH, I hope you were able to think of happy memories with your mother.
Of course I've been wearing my summer dresses.  ;D ;D Several layers of warm clothing for me too, and in fact the throw that normally just decorates the back of the sofa has been put into use much more this last week. Gone are the days when I used to walk along the seafront in January in a strappy dress and no jacket!
Hope you soon hear from the new mum, perhaps she's feeling too tired to bother.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 February 21 19:45 GMT (UK) »
MH so lovely to hear your good news & that you are getting some photos.

I think some young mums take a bit longer to process such an overwhelming experience. Our daughter certainly kept us well at arms length with our first grandchild to begin with. By the 3rd baby, she even asked us to go into the hospital the evening of baby's arrival & sent her OH away as he was 'getting on her nerves'. She even asked me to change the baby as she was feeling sore. Quite a difference.

I'm sure you have lots of fun times to look forward to with the new arrival.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 February 21 21:02 GMT (UK) »
No MH,   you are  not  just  a step  mother, you are the babys grandmother

Hope it is named soon, have  you  been having a guess?

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 February 21 00:30 GMT (UK) »
MH so lovely to hear your good news & that you are getting some photos.

I think some young mums take a bit longer to process such an overwhelming experience. Our daughter certainly kept us well at arms length with our first grandchild to begin with. By the 3rd baby, she even asked us to go into the hospital the evening of baby's arrival & sent her OH away as he was 'getting on her nerves'. She even asked me to change the baby as she was feeling sore. Quite a difference.

I'm sure you have lots of fun times to look forward to with the new arrival.

Pat

I can empathise entirely with your comment! We too were kept hanging around in the hospital when our first grandson was born.... but once our daughter discovered how helpful we could be there was no stopping her! They’re very precious these days about their family time... but having said that were always welcome anytime to join them all ...

MH - I’m sure once the shock is over and your step daughter has recovered you’ll be welcomed with open arms...

Don’t know about summer clothes even more layers today indoors!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK