Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 13th February  (Read 1887 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 13th February
« on: Sunday 14 February 21 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I was woken from a deep sleep by my phone ringing, I mute the sound overnight but it vibrates. In my bleary eyed state I looked at the screen, it showed a number I didn't know, I wouldn't normally answer those but in these 'awaiting a  vaccination' times I did. I then got a scam message saying something about HMRC, I thought I'd cut it off but hadn't so left it talking to itself. That wasn't a good start to the day.

Temperature was around freezing all day but no more snow. It's a whole week since I got out for a walk, really looking forward to next week when the temperatures are forecast to rise significantly.

After my cups of tea I did a short session of Pilates.
My bedroom TV won't tune in to some of the Freeview channels whatever I do. I'd had a brief look previously to see if it had any HDMI slots for a streaming device but I didn't spot any and thought that as I've had it a long time there weren't any. Dug out the manual and found it actually has two, which on closer examination of the TV I saw are in an out of the way place. Had a brainwave - in the TV in my lounge I have a Now TV  stick and an Amazon Fire TV stick. I removed the Amazon one and put it in the bedroom TV which involved much moving of a chest of drawers to get at the electrical socket. Was so pleased with myself when it worked. I don't watch much TV in bed but the catch up channels are now available to me if I do want to watch them.

The rest of the day was spent putting things into the freezer, updating Tesco order, ironing and similar enthralling things. In the late afternoon I had a phone call from a friend, I was really pleased to hear that due to the nature of her job she's had her vaccination. We talked for ages, it was lovely to hear from her.
Watched Doc Martin then the second part of the programme about the disappearance of Shannon Matthews. Can hardly believe that it's thirteen years since the poor child was subjected to that awful experience.

Hope it's been a good day for others.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 13th February
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 21 01:07 GMT (UK) »
My goodness Roobarb you’re quite a tech wizard! I wouldn’t have a clue where to start... well done though for fixing it all up...
I’m sure you must be dying to get out for a good walk... I’m beginning to feel the same!

It was a really cold night last night and I always have my small bedroom window open at night... I was beginning to wish I hadn’t opened it so wide but didn’t feel like getting up to close it! Consequently I woke a few times in the night feeling a bit chilly...
once again it was a bitterly cold wind when I got up and the outside temp was reading -2C....
After breakfast OH was having a room with his golfing buddies and I had a read before getting dressed.
My Waitrose shopping delivery arrived just after 11am and it’s brought into the garage... I’d already got several layers of clothing on including leggings under my trousers and I put a coat on too... I felt sorry for the delivery chap who looked frozen! Said I was his last but one drop and he’d been at work since 6am!
Once all the shopping was dealt with we had a warming cuppa...
OH thought he stood a better chance of beating me at scrabble in the morning..
 Not sure why but we had a game and he beat me comfortably....
After lunch we watched the rugby match between England and Italy, not the most inspiring game but a win for England...
Then we watched Scotland v Wales which was a much better game ... as we record it we decided to have another game of scrabble so we could wiz through all the waffle...
Just as we settled down Caroline came with the Valentines meal I’d ordered from them... it looked lovely so decided we’d have it tonight rather than tomorrow... I got beaten again at scrabble so I’m only two games ahead now!
Watched the rest of the rugby... Scotland just missed out winning but were only playing with 14 men as one red carded off...
Had a shower and put on some nice clothes... laid the dining table and got the dinner ready...
We had pate with onion marmalade and toast. Main meal was Beef Wellington with dauphinois pots, red cabbage and sugar snap peas... dessert were sticky toffee with butterscotch sauce and or chocolate tart...
Well it was delicious... the beef was so tender and with red wine sauce just mouth watering... there’s enough left for another meal! We only had one sticky toffee between us so one left and chocolate tart... all for £60 we thought was great value and eaten in the comfort of our own home .. oh and a bottle of Codorniu a Spanish Cava...
well we were full up after that... not used to eating three courses so tomorrow will be egg on toast!
We lit the fire and settled down to watch new Tom Hanks film on Netflix called News of the World... he’s always good to watch and the young girl who played opposite him was very good...
We don’t usually celebrate Valentines but thought this year we needed a bit of a lift... we actually met on the 15th of Feb in 1969 on a blind date!

A nice way to spend a Saturday ....

Keep safe, stay warm and hope you had a good day too.😀

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 21 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, sorry to hear you were woken up by your phone.  Never a pleasant experience!
I woke up after about 7 hours sleep, which is not bad, looked at my iPad for the time (4:30) and it had a pop up wanting to update.  I hit okay and then after a while miraculously drifted back to sleep until 10 to 6. Up and out with he with four legs, quick, though I forgot to put my fleece sweater over my pjs and it was cold ( yes I did have my coat on), but we weren’t out long.  Got tea, trail mix, and back to bed.  OH gets tea every morning in bed, what a lucky man! 
My leg has been much better the last two days, am giddy with relief. I am taking two time-delayed Tylenol in morning before I eat anything.  They last 8 hours.  I will do it again tomorrow and then skip it Monday and see what happens.  I have been off my office chair for almost 2 weeks now, so it might be that that has brought relief.
Made a chocolate cake this morning for Valentine’s Day and OH made frosting.  Cake came out very well, perhaps just needed another 5 minutes.  Frosting a bit of a mixed result, looks...ummm...well, it tasted wonderful!  OH wants the same cake for his bd at the end of March.
We played Scrabble this afternoon, just one game, but I won by quite a margin.  It might be back to cribbage next time if OH chooses the game!
I’ve started a new book, Six Women of Salem, nonfiction about the so-called witches that were hung in Salem, Massachusetts in 1692.  One of my children’s ancestors, Susannah Martin, was one of those put to death there, but much to my disappointment she is not one of the six featured, and not mentioned at all.  The book is interesting, author weaves a narrative within the facts.  Susanna was born in Olney, Buckinghamshire.  I like that the author is giving background on what went on in England during the time period as well as Massachusetts.
Tomorrow is step granddaughter’s birthday and her sister’s is on Tuesday.  They will be 2 and 5.  Gifts are ready to go but don’t think we will stop for a visit, sadly.  The older is in her first year at school where they just announced Covid cases.  Not her class, but still concerning.
Supposed to be -17 C in the morning, must remember the fleece sweater under my coat!
Oh, Caroline, -2, what I would give for that now! Supposed to warm up a bit next week, -6 during the days.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 21 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Diana,

Is Ann Hibbins one of the ones featured in the Salem book by any chance?

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 21 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb you are a Tech Wizard and I salute you.
Meal sounds delicious Caroline, great it will do for 2 days, but what happens on the blind date anniversary?
DIANA, who is the author of the Salem book please?

The storm continues relentlessly. I daren't contemplate how it is for folks living on the east coast, it's bad enough being on the south coast facing east....BTW there are NO ships at anchor in Torbay at present. Very sensible.
I went out early to the bakery, which being inland wasn't too bad, but then I did my usual route towards the Esplanade and past the harbour. The seafront looked ravaged and I was surprised by the evidence of how far the water travelled at high tide. Above the harbour the pavement was wet, which I would guess is around 20 feet above the sea level.
We did get out for a brief walk before lunch along the prom.  It was miserably cold walking into the wind, but much quicker getting back with the wind behind us.
Amazing that when I am reading I can block out the sound of the rugby!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 February 21 09:19 GMT (UK) »

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 21 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for pasting the link, Mowsehouse.
Mckha489, Ann Hibbins was mentioned just before I stopped reading last night, but strangely is not in the index.  (Gives me hope that Susannah North Martin might turn up too). Would you like to know what it says about Ann?

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 February 21 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Diana, Mowsehowse has found a snippet on the Amazon preview which is probably it.  I already know a lot about her. She has her own Wikipedia entry etc,