Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 13th February  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 13th February
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 February 21 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Diana - how fascinating that your Susannah was born in Olney... a town I know very well!
It has the widest high street in England and has had an annual pancake race for centuries.. first started in the mid 1400’s with lapses over time but still held now... although probably not this year!
It’s a very pretty town and we visit it quite often... small world eh! Your book sounds interesting so might download it to read...
Your chocolate cake sounds delicious never mind what it looks like the taste is the all important bit 😀
Please to hear your leg is feeling better resulting in good nights sleep...so important..
 thanks MH for the link too..
Nothing will happen on anniversary of blind date day! We did have a lovely lunch out in 2019 as that was 50 years! We were both still at school when we met! I soon went off to Fashion College and OH to teacher training college... my that does seem such a looong time ago now!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 February 21 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Snow here Saturday - which doesn't happen all that often - at sea-level, anyway!
Started about 11am; thaw set in (is -2C a thaw?!?!) about 11pm.

All buses cancelled; ferry didn't sail; didn't fancy the walk to the pub, so stayed in.
Minor RTC just 50 yards from my flat. One car ended sideways across the road.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 February 21 14:43 GMT (UK) »
-11 c here right now.  Got a bit of fresh snow yesterday, it was all sparkly under our security light early this morning.  Technically, I think a thaw starts at +1! Having the sun out can make a difference, of course.  Unusually here, in Canada’s tropics, that we haven’t had a real thaw since Christmas Day. The snow has piled up.  Temps are warming up though, we might hit -3 by Thursday.
Caroline, that’s fascinating that you know Olney!  About half of my children’s paternal ancestors were early New England settlers, and many of their origins are documented.  They have ancestors from all over the British Isles, a map with pins in it would be interesting.
I forgot to mention there was a error very early in the book where the author mentioned the first subject, Rebecca Towne Nurse, was from Great Yarmouth and then said something about just over the border in Sussex.  Later she mentioned Suffolk, but where are the editors these days?!  I am hoping the rest of the book is more accurate  :)
Roobarb, we also watched Doc Martin last night, think we have only two left.  He and the vet operated on Buddy, thought the vet was hilarious in the part.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 February 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the compliments about being a tech wizard but I'm really not! All I had to do was plug it into the slot on the TV then connect to the electricity, there was a bit more to it when I originally got the stick but I just followed the instructions. The reason I was so pleased with myself was because I'd thought of using the Amazon one rather than buying an additional one.

Your Valentines meal sounds lovely Caroline, no point in waiting to eat it but turns out you'll be able to have a double celebration anyway.

Good to hear your leg is better Diana, hope it stays that way. Your comment about the office chair made me think of once at work when someone who had back problems was presented with a chair that was supposed to help, she sat in it for a very short time and said it was horribly uncomfortable and went back to the old one! Not a great time for shopping for a new one, definitely something you'd need to try out before buying.
I loved the Doc Martin episode you watched, it was so funny when the vet was blundering around knocking things off the trolley!  :D

MH, the weather certainly is dreadful today, winds currently at 32 mph. Strangely enough the wind is coming from the south, I think it must be the south pole! The Met Office says it's 3 degrees here but the wind chill factor is taking it down to minus 4. Rain too, at least it's not snow!
Well done on getting out for a walk anyway. Good to hear the baby now has a name.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 February 21 15:39 GMT (UK) »

I forgot to mention there was a error very early in the book where the author mentioned the first subject, Rebecca Towne Nurse, was from Great Yarmouth and then said something about just over the border in Sussex.  Later she mentioned Suffolk, but where are the editors these days?!  I am hoping the rest of the book is more accurate  :)

Just for clarification, Great Yarmouth is actually in Norfolk, not Suffolk (just over the border).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 February 21 15:45 GMT (UK) »

Yes, I did know that, and that Norfolk does not border Sussex, my mother’s birth place  :)

Just for clarification, Great Yarmouth is actually in Norfolk, not Suffolk (just over the border).

Annette

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 February 21 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Well England did a lot better yesterday but then they were playing Italy who have lost something like the last 28 matches.
Ireland v France just now,I am for Ireland.

Daughter has moved the horse ,the Vet is wondering if he can get down but something has hurt him at the stables and he has not forgotten , there  was a sort of bar to stop him doing something or other and it had not been fixed properly and it had scarred his side ,put in place by the stable girl.
However he had also not been getting a medication prescribed to get him ready for more tests , so it has to start again .
My daughter was blazing ,access to the yard is limited of course at the moment ,so the owner must make sure things are still being done.
But once open the stuff has limited time .,so start again and a lot of money wasted.Meanwhile the horse is distressed.
He was being got ready for tests etc.
Anyway ,we will see.
Raining here today and very dark,
Was getting ready for my little walk but friend phoned and by then quite heavy rain so did not bother.

Made a pork casserole with peppers ,onions ,paprika and surprisingly Oregano, but tastes very nice ,just a jacket potato I think and some sour cream or in my case some Greek Yoghurt stirred in.

Nice news about Valentine’s Day meals etc.
Hope everyone is well.
The frost will have gone here after the rain but not seen the forecast ,may freeze again tonight .
Another week gone , and news more encouraging ,just hope things are not eased to soon again and people are not selfish over Easter, children back at school March 8 th?
I know a certain somebody who will be glad!
He will also be glad the the horse is much nearer to him, just across the way in a nice paddock.

Congratulations on all your baking and sorting out of technology etc, I am in awe!

We had our own witches hereabouts ,( not that I am likening those clever people above mentioned to witches)The Pendle Witches ,Demdyke etc.
Just old women mostly who knew a but about herbs etc and in an atmosphere of religious intolerance- well !

Had a good laugh yesterday ,found  on channel 81, which shows old movies
“ Old Mother Riley and the Circus”
Gosh, we thought her funny as kids but the repartee went over out heads and was really witty .
The elbows—- were everywhere !Always ready for a fight .
Happy days.

A big magpie on the bird table and three starlings and blackbirds ,a female  was exploring and went to the shed, I wonder if she has found the hole the rat gnawed at the bottom of the door  and door post, lots of wicker flower baskets hung up in there ,make a lovely nesting place ,
safe and dry.
I must resist looking.
Well I need a cuppa .
Thanks for all the news .
Viktoria

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 February 21 17:03 GMT (UK) »

Yes. I did notice that. Surprised me somewhat. 
Also, the "look inside" facility is rather peculiar when it comes to paragraphing, but perhaps the book is better.
If I am honest, I don't find it especially "readable", but I am very picky!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 February 21 17:30 GMT (UK) »
KG, my apologies, I forgot to mention your post.  :-[  I'm so envious of you getting rid of the snow in one day, I bet the car driver wishes they'd waited to make their journey too.

Viktoria, what a to do with your daughter's horse, I hope he improves now he's in his nice paddock, I'm sure the attentions of FH will help.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales