Author Topic: Can anyone help please? Westlund Scotland  (Read 688 times)

Offline AllieElsokary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help please? Westlund Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 February 21 01:14 GMT (UK) »
Karl was a dock labourer who lived in Glasgow St. This reminded me that Rose's husband Alec also worked in the docks with sulphur loads on the ships. Wish I had more info on him .😞
Rose and Alec also both had ice cream vans that went round Ardrossan and Saltcoats.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 February 21 13:11 GMT (UK) »
on other searches related to the Westlunds, Ashgrove Road, Ardrossan came up as an address.
The honorary Norwegian Consul (1963) and Danish (half-consulate, whatever that is. from 1965) is Mair Shipping Company, still active with a connection to Winton Buildings ( housing the Consulate) and operating from North Harbour, Ayr.  They are an old established multi-functioning company to do with all forms of shipping enterprises related to West of Scotland ports.  They had some responsibility for monitoring crew changes on vessels using the ports so perhaps the Norwegian connection came through them and possibly a business connection to a company in South Shields ?  (surmising ..).
Threetowners forum will uncover live people who knew the Westlunds.  cheers, Ian   
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 February 21 14:35 GMT (UK) »

Catherine died in 2016, aged 79. The death was registered at Largs, Ayrshire.

Daughter Catherine's marriage was in Bristol, 2nd Qrt 1964 (vol. 7b/ pg. 331).

Can't see anything for Rose unfortunately.

Rose and Alec also both had ice cream vans that went round Ardrossan and Saltcoats.

Thank you for the reply back to the PM which I sent you as I didn't know if the persons mentioned were still living - so no connection to the US  ???

I wonder if there might be an obituary for the 2016 death of Catherine perhaps mentioning her sister by name or perhaps she may have been a witness to her sister Catherine's 1964 marriage
or even the informant on the death certificate of her father (MonicaL posted parents grave details)

Karl Westlund age 95 Birth 19 Mar 1909
Aug 2004 Blackburn With Darwen Lancashire
Register Number:   A73B
District and Subdistrict:   580/1A
Entry Number:   229

The only other thought was maybe looking at Kelly's Trade Directory but that may prove difficult as you don't have a surname or an address for Rose or Alec to search with - I don't know if this link might be helpful https://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Directories-and-Phone-Books.aspx
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 February 21 18:39 GMT (UK) »

Threetowners forum will uncover live people who knew the Westlunds.  cheers, Ian

If you, I think I would follow Ian's advice here. Rose and Alec's details are hard to determine without at least confirmation of Alec's surname. No sign yet of their marriage to help further. Finding local people with long memories is certainly worth trying  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllieElsokary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there I did try to search for an obituary but came up with nothing for Catherine's death. I doubt she would have been an informant on her dad's death certificate as she lived in Irvine and he was buried in England and I would imagine be to old and frail to attend his funeral.
I have managed to locate who I think may be one of her brothers in Pattaya, Thailand and sent him a PM on Facebook but as yet no reply. Hopefully it is him :) I joined the group that Ian suggested (thank you Ian) and made a post so we will see if that jogs any memories hopefully :) I also came across a distressing piece of news that hopefully is not a link to the same Westlunds in Blackburn but I think it might be sadly. It's how I made the link to the ? brother in Pattaya. If you Google Marina Westlund January this year you can see what I mean. :(  anyway thank you all for all your efforts, very much appreciated  8)

If you, I think I would follow Ian's advice here. Rose and Alec's details are hard to determine without at least confirmation of Alec's surname. No sign yet of their marriage to help further. Finding local people with long memories is certainly worth trying  ;)

Monica

Offline AllieElsokary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ian, so much help and info  :o
You are all marvellous <3

Thank you for the reply back to the PM which I sent you as I didn't know if the persons mentioned were still living - so no connection to the US  ???

I wonder if there might be an obituary for the 2016 death of Catherine perhaps mentioning her sister by name or perhaps she may have been a witness to her sister Catherine's 1964 marriage
or even the informant on the death certificate of her father (MonicaL posted parents grave details)

The only other thought was maybe looking at Kelly's Trade Directory but that may prove difficult as you don't have a surname or an address for Rose or Alec to search with - I don't know if this link might be helpful https://www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Directories-and-Phone-Books.aspx

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Wish you best of luck with the searches  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllieElsokary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I just noticed you have his DOB IN 1909. How did you find that? Was he not born in Norway? 😮

Offline AllieElsokary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much 👍💙[author=AllieElsokary link=topic=844528.msg7115201#msg7115201 date=1613587043]
I just noticed you have his DOB IN 1909. How did you find that? Was he not born in Norway? 😮

[/quote]