Author Topic: Help translating 1674 Will, top quarter appears to be in Latin.  (Read 306 times)

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great Grandpa William Hillman
    • View Profile
Help translating 1674 Will, top quarter appears to be in Latin.
« on: Monday 15 February 21 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Could someone please help me in translating a Will? The first quarter is in Latin. I can make out bits and pieces from the English but not enough to get a good understanding. I won't post the image here because of copyright but here are the details so you can look on Ancestry yourself.

Will of Richard Frampton of Pimperne 1674

Thank you

Penninah
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help translating 1674 Will, top quarter appears to be in Latin.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 February 21 04:53 GMT (UK) »
I think you can post the section you want help,with.

Or post the ancestry link to save us the effort of searching

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 21 05:58 GMT (UK) »
It's not a will.
Richard Frampton died without making a will, (intestate), and this is an Administration for his goods etc.
Allen Frampton, (senior in the Latin bit at the top), and Martin Frampton, go along to swear they will produce an Inventory of Richard's goods, so that administration of the goods etc can be made.

The start of the part in English:
The condition of this obligation is such, that if the above bounden
Allen Frampton the naturall father and lawfull Administrator of all
and singular the goods chattells and credits of Richard Frampton late of
primperne aforesaid deceased"

All the rest is legal stuff about completing the Inventory. No other people mentioned.

Allen Frampton and Martin Frampton sign with good signatures.
There is no following Inventory of goods.

It is permissible to post clips of wills here on Rootschat.
You could start with the Latin bit at the top, but I don't think it will give you any more details.
As Mckha says, it is so much better to post a clip here on Rootschat, than for people to go searching on Ancestry to find it, which takes up more time of the person who is trying to help you (voluntarily). Plus not everybody has a subscription to Ancestry, so you are cutting down the number of people who may interested and may be able to help you.
Just a thought for the future.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 February 21 11:07 GMT (UK) »
The only extra piece of data in the Latin section (the ‘Obligation’) is that Allen Frampton and Martin Frampton are both farmers of Pimperne. The bond is dated 20 February 1674/75. (1675 in the modern calendar).

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 February 21 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for explaining that to me, I could only make out snippets.

I did try posting on an AncestryUK page on FB with just one very short line of the text and had it deleted because apparently I was 'in breech of copyright'.. even though I see others do similar all the time. I tried attaching the link to the document on Ancestry but it just came up as a 'join ancestry link'?

I see Allen is the father to Richard but does it say who Martin is? I'm thinking Richard's brother. I am pretty sure he is my direct descendant, there are no other Martin's around. He dies in 1695 though I can't find a marriage for him or his birth, which I am assuming has something to do with the civil war.

Thanks again,

Penninah
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 February 21 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Martin's relationship is not given in the bond. Relationships are not normally stated in administration bonds, other than for the administrator him/herself, who in this case is Allen. Martin is only the bondsman.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 21 15:54 GMT (UK) »
There's an Inventory for Martin Frampton in 1695, in case you haven't seen that? It's indexed under Marlen Strampton.

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 February 21 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have that, thanks.
Just an inventory, although interesting, it doesn't give anything about his family away which is what I am trying to figure out as I can't find his baptism.