Author Topic: Help Needed finding a Couple more Burial Records in Blyth Please!  (Read 896 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed finding a Couple more Burial Records in Blyth Please!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 February 21 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Newcastle Courant 8 Oct 1858 has the marriage " on the 1st inst, Mr John Stephenson, pilot, to Mrs Jane Lamb"

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 February 21 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Millmoor - you are a star!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 February 21 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Death - Shields Daily News, 28th March 1867.

Stephenson - at Blyth on the 25th inst., aged 72, Mr John Stephenson, pilot.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 February 21 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Oh brilliant again JenB. It's not my query but I'm thrilled with these 2 finds in Newspapers. David -- you must be chuffed.
Places of interest;

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 February 21 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi JenB, Pennines & Millmoor,

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Okay, I am now completely confused!

Have I even got the right first marriage for John? If not then this brings several generations of my tree crashing down!

The 1816 marriage in Earsdon, this Ann was born in Seaton Sluice and baptised at Earsdon (or at least the parents abode was given as Seaton Sluice). If this is indeed the wrong marriage then when and where did John's first marriage to Ann take place?

John & Ann's children were:

Edward Stephenson (1818-1901) Married Elizabeth Cole in 1840.
Ann Jane Stephenson (1821-1896) Married Francis Spink in 1850. (My 3x gt grandparents).
William Stephenson (1823-1893) Married Susannah Rey/Reay in 1846.
John Stephenson (1828-1893 or 97) Married Mary Chambers in  1853.
Isabella Stephenson (1828-?)
Thomas Wilson Stephenson (1831-1852) Baptised in 1834.

All baptised at Earsdon. John and Isabella were baptised the same day.

John's known occupation's are:

1818-1828 = Seaman
1834 = Fisherman
1841-1872 = Pilot

JenB, thanks for pointing that out, seems possibly I might have been on the wrong track! My thanks also for the newspaper announcement of John's death, much appreciated. His death does not however appear in the death indexes as far as I can see, with both spellings of the surname checked. No wonder I have had trouble finding it! ::)

Pennines, my thanks re raising of hopes, the marriage did indeed require proper checking, although with Millmoor's find that would appear to confirm the marriage. Definitely chuffed with the newspaper finds, but as noted above, now very confused re John's first marriage!

Millmoor, many thanks for the newspaper announcement of the marriage, much appreciated.

My thanks to you all again, all help and assistance very much appreciated.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 February 21 19:21 GMT (UK) »
The fact that one of the children (Thomas) -- was given a middle name of Wilson would suggest that either a mother or a grandmother's maiden name was Wilson. (More often than not it's the mother's maiden name).

I haven't looked at the children's baptism records, but if the parents are John and Ann -- then the surname of the mother, is more than likely Wilson -- otherwise where has that middle name come from.

I find it strange though, that on the select marriage record to Jane - it shows John's father to be Peter -- but no children of John Stephenson are named Peter - unusual for those days.

ADDED -- re the birth place of Ann -- if a family moved when a child was very young - it is always possible that the child THOUGHT they were born in the place they remembered, which may not be their birth place.
Places of interest;

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 February 21 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just found this!

Newcastle Guardian & Tyne Mercury, Saturday March 28th 1857.

"At Blyth, on the 23rd inst. aged 66, Ann, wife of Mr John Stephenson, pilot".

It is looking very likely that I have been barking up the wrong tree as regards the Wilson's all these years! Over 30 years of doing family history research and I'm still making daft mistakes!  ::);D

Oh well, at least I now know when both John and Ann died which was half the original reason for the thread in the first place! ;D Just the burials to locate now!

The fact that one of the children (Thomas) -- was given a middle name of Wilson would suggest that either a mother or a grandmother's maiden name was Wilson. (More often than not it's the mother's maiden name).

I haven't looked at the children's baptism records, but if the parents are John and Ann -- then the surname of the mother, is more than likely Wilson -- otherwise where has that middle name come from.

I find it strange though, that on the select marriage record to Jane - it shows John's father to be Peter -- but no children of John Stephenson are named Peter - unusual for those days.

ADDED -- re the birth place of Ann -- if a family moved when a child was very young - it is always possible that the child THOUGHT they were born in the place they remembered, which may not be their birth place.
Hi Pennines, just caught your post, I agree with all the points that you have raised! Does seem to be a case of more questions than answers it seems to me! ;D

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 February 21 19:41 GMT (UK) »
The 1816 marriage in Earsdon, this Ann was born in Seaton Sluice and baptised at Earsdon (or at least the parents abode was given as Seaton Sluice). If this is indeed the wrong marriage then when and where did John's first marriage to Ann take place?

David, perhaps there is more information on the original parish record and that what you’ve seen, but I don’t see anything in the record of the marriage in the BT’s that indicates that Ann was born at Seaton  Sluice and baptised at Earsdon
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6S9W-CPC?i=386&cc=1309819&cat=1808542
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 February 21 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't think you are on the wrong track with the Wilson family -- I don't know where John actually lived at the time of the marriage, but if Ann Wilson was baptised at Earsdon - it was customary to marry in the bride's parish -- so Earsdon seems to have at least been her parish at the marriage AND from JenB's baptism find -- born in that Parish.

(And don't forget that child's middle name)
Places of interest;