Author Topic: Next steps  (Read 1391 times)

Offline JohnDoe2020

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Next steps
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 March 21 03:16 GMT (UK) »
No problem. This is a big shift in logic conceptually. Everyone handles this differently and that is OK. We are all human, frail, emotional and occasionaly irrational.
I never knew my father, never saw a picture of him. It was somehow alright as I grew up, I didn't feel that I was missing anything. As I became older (much), I began to quizz my mother. She had some stories but candidly she knew very little. I ultimately discovered who he was using DNA and in doing so discovered a whole side of my family that I did not know. In the process I discovered some other "family secrets" and it made me realize how little we understand why people do things. Humans. I wanted to know more about me through learning more about my roots.
The match you mention is not going to change, you are right, he is your father. How you deal with this complicated issue is up to you. Your choice. There is no fault here and you have no obligation other than to yourself. Good luck, I am sure you will make the right choice.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 March 21 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Did you reply to the nephew LL?

He might be able to help you .... and you might find a whole new family you end up getting on really well with. I know it will take a while to get your head around, but don’t dismiss him.

I look after a couple of DNA accounts and one of the match of one was in a similar situation to you. He found out in his late 40s that his father was not his biological father. Long story but he ended up meeting his biological father, and he continues to research the family of the father who brought him up. He admitted that it took some time to come to terms with it.

Offline LostLass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 March 21 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I replied briefly, then phoned him last night to explain. He was lovely, is happy keeping it to himself for now, told me bits about the family history and what the match was like. He's into genaology as well so had quite the chat about general issues and DNA tools, we spoke for over an hour and could easily have gone on longer but I was struggling so made my excuses.

Am emailing him the information we discussed so he can get his head around it as well.