Author Topic: Diary > Monday 15th February  (Read 851 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 15th February
« on: Tuesday 16 February 21 00:15 GMT (UK) »
More scam phone calls this morning, this time on the landline, luckily I was already awake early or I would have been really angry. Ignored the first, cut the second off without answering and ignored the third.

No snow today, no rain, no wind. Off out for my first walk in ten days. The usual area didn't feel quite so usual now. Hadn't realised that it's half term, won't be going to the beach this week. Not that I think there would be families picnicking on the sands but it's bound to be busier. The sun came out as I was walking, had even gone out without a hat, what a change from yesterday.

After lunch I spent a few hours in the garden, pruned a couple of shrubs, dug out some sprouting bulbs in their block of soil and repositioned them. Picked up a terracotta pot at the back of the garden that had bulbs growing in it, I'd labelled it daffodils and .....?  the writing had worn off. As I lifted it the bottom fell out, the contents were hanging through the remaining part, had to find somewhere else for them.
Cut the passion flower right back in the hope that if and when it grows again I can control where it goes instead of it grabbing onto anything within reach. My garden bin is already full, had to bash it down with a spade. Collection due to start again in March.

While I was out I missed the postie with a parcel delivery, I think it probably wasn't my regular postie as she usually leaves any parcels next door. Had to go online to reschedule. Hope my friend is free for a walk on Tuesday, it's two weeks since we last went. I really miss having some company, even once a week helps.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 15th February
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, glad to hear you got out for a walk, and that you got some yard work done.
Very blah day for me.  I’ve had three days where my leg/hip was pretty good, today it was not.  I did not take any Tylenol but I will tomorrow.  I slept six hours last night, finally drifted back to sleep, just getting up at 6:40 to take dog out but OH said he would do it, he was already dressed to go.  Was tired all day and fed up, really.  Did a load of laundry and that was about it, oh, and made the evening meal, nothing interesting.
I did get a new and interesting DNA match, person had her full name and age range and where she lives, and there was a news item about her online, so was able to find her, only one in England, unusual names. All the people she matches to have been puzzling me, cannot figure out how we are all connected, so I will trace her backwards and see what I stumble upon.
We were supposed to get some snow last night but we didn’t get a lot, but tonight they are forecasting 15-25 cm, This storm came out of Siberia, over the North Pole, south over our Prairie provinces, down to Texas back up through the central US and then will hit Ontario and Quebec.  I imagine then out to the Atlantic provinces and get blown out to sea.  Quite the “weather event “.
Watched the first episode of season 4 of the Canadian bake-off.  Most of the contestants are fine, but a few are, shall I be charitable, slightly annoying.  It was cake week, they did a Bundt cake, and now we want to do one.  Needs lots of eggs!
Last night we watched the second episode of The Queen’s Gambit, guess we will continue.  It had been a couple of weeks since we watched the first episode, forgot some of the plot!
Today was a holiday here, Family Day, not the whole country, so we had mail delivery.  Schools were closed, imagine they will be plowing in the wee hours tonight to clear the teachers’ parking lot.  Our street does get priority because of the school, a good thing.
Ontario, at least many parts, coming out of strict lockdown tomorrow, imposed on Boxing Day.  Stores and such are reopening, at least partially.  Hope they are not doing it too soon.
Take care of yourselves, everyone.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 02:25 GMT (UK) »
So nice to wake to no frost and was a nice bright day.   No more frost this week thank goodness.   Just the usual days activities.

Of my 9 great nieces/nephews the eldest, Luke, was 17 today.    Spoke to him early afternoon - just caught him as was about to go out for a bike ride with his Dad.   Agreed I would drop off his card and present tomorrow and he was happy with that.

The twins have been in the local paper twice - one was an article of babies born in Suffolk in 2020 (spread over several days) and the other article was related to a local gym where 4 of the staff had babies in recent months.   This is where my niece is a coach and so 5 potential new gymnasts for the club.

Mince Beef Hotpot tonight with a glass of wine.   Then watched an old New Tricks followed by Waking the Dead.   Oh, and I remembered this week, to watch Long Lost Family at 9pm.

My car was still covered in snow yesterday (after a week) although some had slid off the bonnet.   This morning, with no frost and some sunshine, the car was clear of snow altogether.

Take care.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 07:35 GMT (UK) »
After at least 6, maybe, I lost count, days and nights of gusting winds almost continuously over 45mph, up to 70, it seems the storm has finally blown itself out.
Up at 06:30 having slept quite well.
Out early to do the grocery shop, and then a crazy video call with the children in Oz. First time for about 6 weeks I think. They are in a mini lockdown again, but very strict.  The children are off school, just as they were settling in after the long Christmas/summer holiday, and my son is not allowed to go to work. He is very angry as it seems to stem from the Tennis Open which they feel was entirely unnecessary. But DiL was shocked to be told we still have around 12,000 new cases daily, and agreed the Ozzy way is preferable.
Walk after lunch, so nice not to have slightly fewer clothes on, and I got a warm at one point.
ROOBARB, I noticed 3 fruits in someone's Skimmia hedge and H said it was passion flower. They looked quite plump and fresh sitting there.  Also in that street tiny clematis continue to flower.
Found a Poirot to watch on TV.
The wind got wild around midnight.... woke me up, and has been howling all night again.
Famous babies already Annette! I am sure the twin aspect will be of interest to local journalists often as they grow up. :)

DIANA: I meant to say this.....
"did get a new and interesting DNA match, person had her full name and age range and where she lives, and there was a news item about her online, so was able to find her, only one in England, unusual names. All the people she matches to have been puzzling me, cannot figure out how we are all connected, so I will trace her backwards and see what I stumble upon."
.... is marvellous and I hope you get lots from it.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to wake up and read everyone’s cheery posts.... such a difference after the last week we’ve all had...
Roobarb- I can’t believe it’s been that long since you got out for a walk.... Shame it’s too busy to go to the beach... hope you manage to meet up with your friend...
so annoying to get nuisance calls at any time let alone early morning!
Great to get in the garden let’s hope it continues to stay pleasant...

MH - delighted to hear you’ve managed to speak to your Oz family.... does cheer you up! I’m sure they’re fuming about the Tennis... feel the same... great to watch sporting events but not when it’s caused this much trouble... one has to ask is it worth it?

Annette - the twins are stars already then! Gymnastics is a wonderful activity.... both my son and daughter belonged to a gym club when younger and represented The East Midlands....
Glad to hear your snow has pretty much gone now too...

Diana - sorry to hear your legs playing up... at least you know the tablets help... what a lovely hubbie you’ve got to take your dog out...
Interesting weather pattern you describe there... lots more snow to come then for you... handy having the school nearby to keep your road clear...
Hope your release from lockdown brings some normality back to life for you all..
Good luck with your DNA matching!
Queens Gambit was a great series ... we enjoyed it.

I had the worst nights sleep for a long time ... it was gone 4am before I finally drifted off... no idea why I couldn’t sleep... got woken, it seemed like 5 minutes later, by next door banging about with their bins ... going to have to say something to them soon as it’s like living next to a recycle centre!
Got up in not a very good mood! The sun at least was out and the temperature mild in comparison to the last week... decided to risk using the washing machine and just kept my 🤞 all would be ok! Thankfully no noise this time so risked doing another load! It was lovely to get it all out on the line to dry...
Opened some windows just to get some fresh air through the house... always have bedroom and bathroom windows open anyway...
Decided to walk up the village with the weekends lottery winnings and return the basket to Caroline that she brought the meal in...
lots of birds around, they obviously are enjoying the warmer weather too! Walked back through the churchyard. I noticed that since I last went out two houses have got Sold signs up... ones been on the market for a while lovely house but will need lots doing to it... be sad to see current people go, they’ve lived here along time but now in their mid 80’s and garden certainly too big for them to manage... the other one sold belonged to our postmistress... heart and soul of the village... she was nominated for an MBE which she received... one of life’s rare people .. her house and land sold after her death and now has 4 houses built on it and hers has been enlarged... nice to have new blood coming into the village....
After lunch I sat in the conservatory and read my book, it was warm and pleasant in there and I could easily have nodded off...
OH challenged me to a game of scrabble, thinking in my tired state that my brain wasn’t working sharply... he was right and he won so now we’re all square!
Dinner was venison meatballs in a pesto sauce with lots of vegs... I cooked the gammon in the oven too as OH likes it in sandwiches.
Watched some tv, usual Monday programmes and retired early as couldn’t keep my eyes open!

Keep safe everyone

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I knew the weather would brighten up for the UK rootschatters, as forecast.  :) I can sense that your moods have lifted. I know Roobarb, that your were going quite stir crazy holed up indoors for so long. Great that you have had a chance to get out for a walk and into the garden too.

Caroline, I understand how annoying your neighbour rattling his bins around must be. I have something similar to put up with - one of my neighbours I think sleeps all day and does his gardening at night as well as other noisy activities inducing metal gate slamming. So inconsiderate - it infuriates me.

Diana, your tales of Canadian snow are interesting to hear. I wish we had more regular contributors from other countries. I agree with Caroline - The Queens Gambit was an excellent series. I hope your leg pain eases. Could it be arthritis? Your DNA match sounds very exciting. Let us know how you get on trying to place her in your tree.

So sweet that the bubs have made it into the paper Annette. One of my daughters had triplets in her year, and they got write ups in the local rag for all their ‘milestones’ (starting school, graduating school etc etc).

MH- the current lockdown in Melbourne is not related to the tennis. They say it was due to a returned traveller in hotel quarantine using a nebuliser and spreading droplets around. Nebulisers are not allowed apparently, and he either didn’t declare it or someone didn’t know the rules and allowed him to have it. Either way, someone has messed up. There was a case a week or two ago where some tennis person or other had the virus, but there wasn’t a lockdown.

My Monday was unmemorable - so unmemorable that I can’t remember what I did.  ;D Went to Bunnings (I think those of you in the UK have heard of it - I believe it didn’t do too well there  ;D ) - I bought some nasturtium seeds to plant in my daughter’s planter boxes - nothing does very well in them and I suspect the soil is lacking in nutrients. We have started watching Last Tango in Halifax - it’s an oldie so I don’t know how we missed seeing it over the years. We are on to series two of five. It’s a bit of a comedy of errors I suppose. Am quite enjoying it. Still warm here but temperature has reduced somewhat, which is good news.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 13:06 GMT (UK) »
QUOTE: MH- the current lockdown in Melbourne is not related to the tennis. They say it was due to a returned traveller in hotel quarantine using a nebuliser and spreading droplets around. Nebulisers are not allowed apparently, and he either didn’t declare it or someone didn’t know the rules and allowed him to have it. Either way, someone has messed up. There was a case a week or two ago where some tennis person or other had the virus, but there wasn’t a lockdown.

Thanks Ruskie, I had heard that, but the perception of the local people is worth noting perhaps?

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie - think my sons got shares in his local Bunnings! It gets used widely by him and they’re very accommodating to his often bizarre requests!
Think over here it would be B & Q that’s equivalent...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I went all faint at the thought of cutting my passionflower back! Last year I planted a replacement for the one the severe frosts had killed off spring 2019, and it's been lovingly swaddled in fleece all winter, and through the last few days. Warm enough today to potter up the garden and say "hello" to it, Too slippery still yesterday, although most of ice / snow gone.
Can see I've got buds growing on my magnolias, through their fleece overcoats.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)