Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 17th February  (Read 685 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 17th February
« on: Wednesday 17 February 21 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Another fine day, was keen to go for a walk but I'd rescheduled my parcel delivery for today, was hoping it would arrive around lunchtime. Did a short session of Pilates, focusing mainly on arms, my legs had plenty of exercise yesterday.

Was hungry so had early lunch, the postie arrived about 1pm. She handed the parcel to me, my regular one leaves it at the door and steps back which is what I understand they should do.

Went off out for my walk, it was windier than I realised. Usual route in reverse then home.

The parcel I'd just received contained a pot of cobalt blue acrylic paint, I wanted it to paint some plant pots. One of the huge ones I'd been given last summer had been painted pale yellow by its previous owner, not sure what sort of paint. A lot of it had worn off and I managed to remove some more but some of it was stubborn. It was quite smooth so I decided to paint over it and see how it worked out. Was looking for a brush in a box in the garage when I spotted that I had some paint roller sleeves so used the roller, it was so much quicker and easier. I did it in the garage because of the wind.
Sowed some sea holly seeds, it seems I should have sown them in January for this year, hope they germinate. It wasn't as warm in the garden as the last couple of days so went back indoors and did some more work to my painting of a hot and sunny place.

Watched Landscape Artist, a very unusual selection of submission paintings. I approved of the winner, I thought their painting was the best of the finalists, much better than one of them which I thought was awful. I liked the wildcard winner too.

Hope everyone who hasn't been feeling well has been better today.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 17th February
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 21 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I’m glad you managed to get out for your walk Roobarb. I get the impression you really need that for your sanity.  ;)

I’m sure any postal deliveries need to be left rather than handed over. It’s even the rule here too. They generally just make sure you have seen them, give you a wave and leave it on the doorstep.

I had to Google “sea holly” - is it the one that looks a bit like a thistle and comes in white and blue? If the weather is similar to January, I’m sure they will germinate. I imagine they would give some nice colour and texture to a border.

My Wednesday was spent dog sitting. Odd weather, brief downpours interspersed with sunny periods. Miracle of miracles - my daughter and her partner mowed their lawn! It was really starting to get on my nerves. Now doggy do dos are easy to locate.

Usual dog walk - we met the labradoodle. He was on one side of a fence in school grounds off lead (dangerous - he is a dozy untrained big puppy) and my dog was on the other. They were excited to see each other, and a few barks were exchanged. He’s a funny cute little thing, with pale hazel eyes.

Watched the final episode of series two of Last Tango in Halifax. What complex webs they all weave.  ;)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 21 08:54 GMT (UK) »
I just lost my entire post.  :'(

I bet your garden is a picture Roobarb.
Your "borrow dog" Ruskie, must be a bit like a grandchild that you can "give back". ;)

I mooched around most of yesterday, but felt much better by tea time and slept heavily.
Feeling normal again this morning.
Thanks for all the kind messages of support.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 21 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Your "borrow dog" Ruskie, must be a bit like a grandchild that you can "give back". ;)

I think that is a perfect analogy MH.  ;D

Glad to hear that you are feeling better today.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 21 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Very glad to hear you have recovered Mowsehowse.  :) Hopefully, your body will have built up a defense now and you won't have this experience after next jab.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 21 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie, you're right, a daily walk is what keeps me sane (just!). Yes, the sea holly is the blue plant that looks like a thistle, something a bit different for my garden. It's not looking a picture yet MH but probably will when all the bulbs that are sprouting burst into flower. 
So glad you're feeling better today.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 21 10:25 GMT (UK) »
MH- good to hear you’re feeling better today and had a good nights sleep... so annoying when a post disappears....happens to me all the time!

Roobarb- glad to hear your weather was fine and enabled you to get out... and into your garden too... ours is far too wet to do much yet just enjoying watching all the spring flowers starting to venture out...

Ruskie- an excellent way to enjoy an dog being able to hand it back! Your daughters very lucky to have you to dog sit for her...

Yesterday was a bit of a blur really as was the day before because I’d completely forgotten that I’d had a book club zoom with my friends on Tuesday! We all enjoyed Jamaica Inn...quite nice to read old classics sometimes. One of my friends retired doctor is now volunteering at a big vaccination centre where she says they’re doing between 1100-1500 people per day depending on quantities available...
I cleaned the house, put out some washing... machine made dreadful noise on first spin... tried to phone a place but couldn’t get through on hold for 20 minutes then told me to phone back another time! One local one closed down and another closed not doing any repairs... so just keeping fingers crossed until things reopen again..
Started to rain so that was the end of either a walk, although OH not up,to it with his back still...
Had a game of scrabble that I won so now one ahead again...
Dinner must have been unimaginative as I can’t even remember what we had...
Watched Landscape artist...thought all submissions were to my liking but not all ones done on the day...the one I’d hoped would win didn’t and I wasn’t overly impressed with the one they chose... arts so subjective and sometimes I don’t get what they’re looking for other than something different!
Went to bed early as having an early start...

That’s my day another exciting one passes by!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 February 21 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Back trouble is grim.
I feel for him, and hope he is recovering again soon.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 February 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MH - it rears it’s ugly head every so often... puts his whole body shape out of kilter... back opinion 1998 on L4 & 5.... two hip replacements... considering he does well!
We’re going for a walk today but in the too hard box for him 😢.

Hope you’re feeling back to normal now?

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK