Author Topic: Burial records for Calton residents in 19th Century  (Read 473 times)

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial records for Calton residents in 19th Century
« on: Friday 19 February 21 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I’ve been wondering where I could find burial records for my 4x great grandfather- John Stewart. He lived at Gallowgate in Calton at the time of his death. He died on 2nd December 1864 from Typhus. But I can’t find a burial record for him and I’m not sure if he was buried nearby or in a pauper grave?

His family included his wife, Rachel nee Alston, children- jemima Stewart, William Stewart, Jane Stewart, Janet Stewart. He also had another child prior to his marriage- James Stewart who’s my 3x great grandfather.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated.
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Burial records for Calton residents in 19th Century
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 21 21:13 GMT (UK) »
The nearest cemetery would have been the Eastern Necropolis (also known as Janefield Cemetery). www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2152132/eastern-necropolis

If he was buried there, you can try looking through the various burial registers here www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1323530?availability=Family History Library

Plan of the cemetery here www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Documents/Janefield Cemetery Plan.pdf which shows the sections. Other Glasgow cemetery plans here www.glasgowfamilyhistory.org.uk/ExploreRecords/Pages/Burial-Lair-and-Cremation-Registers.aspx

Not indexed or searchable so you have to skim through the microfilm online until you get to the right dates.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 21 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Please re-check, but I am not seeing an entry for him on the register unfortunately. Really informative burial registers these.

Images 197 and 198 will let you look through the first days of December 1864.

Other Glasgow cemeteries that  you could check here www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&query=%2Bsubject_id%3A532507

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DeafDoggy488

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 February 21 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica.

I wondered if he was buried elsewhere in Glasgow or Lanarkshire, instead of that particular cemetery?

However, I found this when looking at the death certificate and I'm not sure what it stands for? "27 RCH"? I'm not sure if it provide information about his burial?
Stewarts from Moffat and Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Twaddles and Wrights from County Longford, Ireland.
Weirs from Ayrshire, Scotland.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 February 21 23:38 GMT (UK) »
However, I found this when looking at the death certificate and I'm not sure what it stands for? "27 RCH"? I'm not sure if it provide information about his burial?
No, it doesn't.

I think if you look at the name of the Registrara you will find that RCH are his initials. He made an error when he was copying information on to the certificate, and he has made the correction and annotated it in the first column to make it clear that it was a clerical error.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.