Author Topic: Diary > Friday 19th February  (Read 1194 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 19th February
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 February 21 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria, if you want to time your walk just look at the clock before you go out and again when you return.  :)
I haven't worn a watch for years, they irritate my wrist now so I just use my phone while the watches recline in a drawer. I used to have a Rolex, or to be precise, one that looked like it, I bought it on the market in Bangkok.  ;D  It was actually a good watch, particularly considering the price!

Annette, what an awful time you've been having with your tooth, pleased to hear you've been able to get it seen to. Hope the antibiotics soon do their job. Your neighbour sounds like a very kind man, it's good to have people like that keeping an eye out for you.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 February 21 10:08 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;DRoobarb, but I need to know that I have at least been out for half an hour ,but if cold ,then not much more than  that  as the walk home is a steep path.
I am so annoyed I have lost the ability to walk for over two hours  and  still do a very steep walk home ,however, my eye treatment coinciding with lockdowns etc has been a bonus , otherwise I would have been stuck in again if the treatment had been at any other time than lockdowns - “ Always  look on the bright side of life “
Wow, a tooth abscess ,so very painful!
Hope all is well soon.
When you see skeletons from archaeological digs ,often a hole on the jaw is pointed out “ this person had a really bad tooth abscess”—- whew, without painkillers too!
A very dull day, not raining but really damp .
Chicken for evening meal ,lots of veges and some cream to use up so posh potatoes too.
Don’t often do puds now but yoghurt always in.
Bananas not ripe yet either so either yog or rice or semolina pud  as  the milk lady only had two litre packs ,so must use some up.

Well Flash Harry will be mucking out I should think , counting out tablets too.
I found in an old desk diary some curvy lines and zigzags done by his Daddy ,oh must be about 28 years ago,going over pastel felt tip lines with a big soft pencil - me getting him ready for school, a bit of pencil control and hand / eye co ordination .I will send them just for a laugh.
Gosh where have the years gone?

Must wash out bird feeders, so much rain has ruined most of the food,why can’t a feeder that is waterproof be invented?
We can get to the moon and now Mars but a waterproof bird feeder—— nah!

Well cheerio. Hope all are well, those working ,walking,painting, cooking, sewing ,baking etc .
Life goes on, and things are a lot more hopeful, let’s hope The P.M is wise in his easing of restrictions, I personally think it ought to wait until after Easter but some people will not stick to guidelines whatever is done.
We have done our best ,so cheerio, look after yourselves .
Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 February 21 13:27 GMT (UK) »
What sort of bird feeder would be your ideal Viktoria? Here we have bird feeders with a little cover over the top, and a hook on top for hanging. This sort of feeder is generally used for dry bird seed, and is handy for protecting the seed from the rain.

Annette your abscess sounds very painful. What is going to be done after you finish the course of antibiotics? Extraction? Am I correct in thinking that infections are usually tackled before any other work can be done?

I do feel for your OH Caroline (and for you as well) - my OH has a bad back which lays him up sometimes, though he tries to be careful.  :)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 February 21 19:52 GMT (UK) »
The ones I have seem like those you describe.
The long clear plastic tube goes down beyond the area protected by the lid , rain runs down the outside and in at the pecking holes ,
The food gets wet and can get musty if not mouldy,I throw such a lot away.

I think the wooden ones with just one pecking aperture are better ,but quite dear and some birds can monopolise them to the disadvantage of the very small ones

The last lot of peanuts were not in the brown skins and have gone mouldy so quickly.
I got a lot of fat blocks some with insects some with fruit scraps,  all goe white and nasty looking on the outside,
They were from Wilko’s ,not cheap, but I do wonder if they could be harmful when all white and crumbly?
Tiddler great grandson sent me a feeder to stick on the window,but again  the seed trays fill with rain despite a “ roof”.
Had a rat visiting some months ago so am very careful not to let  any food fall to the ground nor do I put food on the feeding tray of the bird feeding station.

Then a flipping squirrel demolished a good feeder ,full of sunflower hearts , just ripped it open.
I will look online ,pay a good bit more as I got a bulk order of good food so don’t want to waste that.
Thanks , enjoy your visitors!
Viktoria.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 February 21 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Annette sorry to hear about your toothache... hope the antibiotics work for you as it can be miserable... years ago I had a similar situation and the antibiotics I was prescribed put me away with the fairies!

Viktoria- hope you get your bird feeders sorted out such a pain when we have so much rain...
OH actually glued the lids down so the squirrels couldn’t open them then realised he would have a problem actually filling them 🤣🤣... sadly we’ve had to take ours down as have surrounding neighbours as the old boy next door (90) throws birdseed on the ground usually at 4pm in the afternoon... therefore feeding the rats... we’ve had the rat man... rat traps the whole works but despite the council telling him not to do it he just ignores them... such a pity as it was a joy to watch the birds....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 February 21 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I think the bird feeders here must be quite different. We don’t have the fat blocks for wild birds either as far as I am aware. Ours feeders are more like a flat tray but with a roof over. They probably wouldn’t prevent the squirrels from raiding the seed though.

We have neighbours who throw all sorts of bread products on the “lawn” for birds. Crows take chunks of bread, fly over to our bird bath and soak the bread to soften it, leaving all sorts of disintegrating slush in my bird bath. Drives me mad.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 February 21 00:53 GMT (UK) »
I think I might have mentioned we have a squirrel-proof feeder, if a squirrel climbs up the pole and swings over to the feeder it has an outer layer that slides down and blocks access to heavier creatures, so even heavier birds such as grackles can’t get at the seed.  Other birds don’t weigh enough to pull it down.  The squirrels then have to fall quite a distance from the feeder!
We sometimes have trouble with bird seed rotting after a large downpour, but think we get much less rain here during “bird season”, compared to the UK.
Ugh, Caroline, rats! Are they common there? 

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 February 21 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Diana, the theory is in the U.K. you are never more than a metre away from a rat!

Viktoria.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 February 21 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Diana, the theory is in the U.K. you are never more than a metre away from a rat!

Viktoria.

Oh my! 
Of course we have rats but I have never seen one.  I think of them as living in sewers or run down areas.