Author Topic: Was a Carnes family member in Reverend Peter Prudden's company of colonists?  (Read 318 times)

Offline Sandia49

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello All,

I've traced my line of descent back to Thomas Carnes (abt. 1663 - 1735), who lived in New Haven, Connecticut. He is my current brick wall. The AGBI lists another Thomas Carnes (abt. 1640 - 1685). However, I have no documentation to support his existence and I've found nothing at all documenting a Carnes resident in New Haven for the time prior to 1640. This last Carnes would be the person who crossed the Atlantic. You may be aware that New Haven was founded by a Puritan group led by the Reverend John Davenport and Theophilus Eaton in 1638. While I have no evidence to support my belief, I am of the opinion that both Thomases descended from one of the colonists in Rev. Davenport's group, mostly because there would have been a natural inertia against moving away from New Haven for many years and that is where the younger Thomas lived. Because I am having difficulty finding that person using American records, I have lately been reading 'History of the Colony of New Haven to Its' Absorption Into Connecticut', by Edward Atwater, to see if there might be some evidence in England that would allow me to circumvent the block. Mr. Atwater suggests the colonist group was composed of three companies, one from the London/East Anglia Area, one from Kent and the other from Herefordshire, the latter led by Reverend Peter Prudden. Which leads me to inquire here as to whether there might be any local records or information about the Hereford Company, who colonized New Haven and later, Milford? Might there be any with the name Carnes, or Kearns, or Keran among them? I would appreciate your assistance.

Very Respectfully,

Alan Hines