Author Topic: How did Henry Whiteside die?  (Read 481 times)

Offline oz diva

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How did Henry Whiteside die?
« on: Sunday 21 February 21 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Newbie here.

I am interested finding out how my great great grandparents died.

They were Henry Whiteside and Margaret Cuff. They lived in County Mayo and left there in the late 1840s to live in Glasgow. The 1851 census has them residing in World's End Finnieston in Glasgow. Shortly after that they both died, from what I do not know. Their son and two daughters were sent to the Sligo (Ireland) Workhouse and later were sent to their uncle in Sydney.

The problem I am having is that they were born and married in Ireland but died in Scotland and of course the pandemic is not helping.

Where to next?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: How did Henry Whiteside die?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 21 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline oz diva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 21 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Wow that's amazing, thank you. That's them, I see they have an extra daughter, Sarah. I don't know what happened to her, she didn't make it to Australia. Maybe she died in the Workhouse? Thank you once again.

Also interesting that Henry is listed as an excavator, on a death certificate he's listed as a shipwright. I would imagine excavator is pretty low paid and hard work. their mother Margaret could have died in childbirth I suppose.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 21 09:16 GMT (UK) »
If Henry and Margaret died before 1855(the start of official records in Scotland) you are probably not going to find much(if anything) about their deaths.
Margaret may even have died in Ireland or on the journey to Scotland  :-\
There might be records of the children being transferred back to Ireland , other with more knowledge would hopefully be able to advise.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 February 21 09:19 GMT (UK) »
8 L I G O UNION
... and no account of them. Their fathers name was Henry Whiteside, mothers maiden name, Margaret Cuff, both natives of the County Sligo, they died in Scotland. Henry Whiteside and his wife Margaret Whiteside or Cuff, died in Scotland about ...

Published: Saturday 28 March 1857
Newspaper: Sligo Champion

SLIGO It 11i1) OF GUARDIANS
... account of them. Their father. name was Henry Whiteside, and mothers maiden name, Margaret Cuff; tooth natives of Sligo. They both died in Scotland ahout seven years and the children were removed from Scotland ...

Published: Saturday 28 March 1857
Newspaper: Sligo Independent
British Newspaper Archives.

ev

Offline oz diva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 February 21 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. If you think it's unlikely I'll find anything much about Henry and Margaret I guess I'll leave it.

They definitely did go back to Ireland. We have a mention of the children in the local Irish newspaper some years later. (ah I see you found it)

Their uncle in Sydney was looking for them for years and eventually his letter got to the right eyes and this chap said he knew them. Then they were put on the ship to Sydney and arrived in October 1857.

By the way after an inauspicious start George (my great grandfather) lived to 90.

Offline oz diva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 February 21 09:25 GMT (UK) »
I am in the middle of writing a historical fiction novel about the trip to Australia.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 February 21 09:32 GMT (UK) »
The Scotlandspeople website has Parish BMD records before 1855 but these are far from complete.
I had a look at the deaths but could not see anything.

Good luck with the book  :)

ev

Offline oz diva

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 February 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help. May be impossible to find.