Author Topic: John Webb 1737  (Read 467 times)

Offline Marpatch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Webb 1737
« on: Sunday 21 February 21 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Is it possible to ask for help in searching for people before 1851

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Webb 1737
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 February 21 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where about in Hampshire he came from? If not where his descendants were? I have Webb as one of my direct lines. Kingsclere, Tadley and then Southampton. Before civil registration and census record you will need to use the parish registers. Hampshire Record Office has an on line index which is really useful.
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 February 21 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Is it possible to ask for help in searching for people before 1851

Just post the details and tell us what information you need and we can see if we can help.  Some Hampshire records are available online
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 February 21 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully you have already looked at the links to any online resources which are listed on the Hampshire resources board. Did he live in a parish where there is no online coverage?

John Webb is quite a common name in Hampshire in the 1700s - I have found the baptism of one in Southampton in January 1738/39.  That's the closest I can get if 1737 is his approximate birth year.

Let us know which area you are interested in and there may be someone who can help.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marpatch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 February 21 11:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for the parents of John Webb 1737-1808 married to Sarah Bist 1730-1798. John's bap record states 30th May 1737 to John & Elizabeth Beaulieu. John's brother Edward also bap 1741 Beaulieu. I'm also looking for the parents of William Webb 1771-1844 married to Elizabeth Eldridge 1761-1850 . His birth record states Wm as father. John & William are from two different families which joined together in 1834 when William Webb born 1807 in Eling married Rosa Webb born in Fawley.

Both sides of my Webb families lived in the New Forest area. Fawley, Eling, Dibden & Beaulieu & finally Burley.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 15:21 GMT (UK) »
William's baptism in 1771 took place in Fawley and his father's residence is shown as Eling.  There are no other Webb baptisms in Fawley around that time with the father William so it makes it difficult to guestimate an approximate marriage date.  I tried Eling as well, but nothing stands ut there either.

Do the names of any of the children of the latter couple suggest possible family names?  Sadly, John, Elizabeth, William seem to be very popular!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk