Author Topic: What happened to the Wilson Sisters?  (Read 354 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
What happened to the Wilson Sisters?
« on: Monday 22 February 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Have been researching a new branch of my tree and am struggling to trace the above mentioned sisters!

Th sisters in question are Jane, Elizabeth & Mary Ann Wilson all born in Bedlington. I will post what I have re the three sisters & the family group as a whole below:

(All Baptisms/Burials took place at Bedlington, St Cuthberts).

William Wilson (1892-1858) Married Elizabeth Whale (1790-1859) in Earsdon on 19th June 1821.
William Buried on 11th March 1858. Was a Blacksmith by trade. Born in Bothal.
Elizabeth Buried on 4th Sept 1859. Born in Bedlington

Children (All born Bedlington)
Margaret Wilson (1821/22-1857). Baptised 26th May 1822. Buried 10th June 1857, (Age 36).
Jane Wilson (1824/25-?). Baptised 20th Feb 1825.
William Wilson (1828-1879). Baptised 28th Dec 1828. Married Mary Jane Swinney in 1860.
Elizabeth Wilson (1832-?). Baptised 13th May 1832.
Mary Ann Wilson (1835-?). Baptised 22nd Nov 1835.

As can be seen Margaret & William have been traced, but not the three remaining sisters!

Margaret & Jane are both last seen in 1841 at home in Bedlington with parents & family (HO107/296/1/5110). I can find neither afterwards apart from Margaret's death in 1857.

Elizabeth & Mary Ann are both last seen in 1851 at home in Bedlington with parents & family (HO107/2418/347/18).

So where is Margaret in 1851? I can't see her at all!

What happened to Jane after 1841? I cannot find her on census, nor can i find any marriage or death records for her!

Then there is Elizabeth & Mary Ann, what happened to them after 1851? I cannot find them on census, nor can i find any marriage or death records for them either!

With Elizabeth & Mary Ann things may or may not be complicated by the deaths of their parents in 1858 and 1859 respectively. Elizabeth would have been 16 & 17 at this time and Mary Ann 13 & 14 years old.

William Wilson (1828-1879) and his wife and family are all fully researched, its just the sisters that I am having trouble with.

Any and all help with this will as always be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to the Wilson Sisters?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 21 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Okay, I have literally just stumbled across a lead for Elizabeth Wilson. In trying to locate a newspaper record of where the Wilson sister's brother William's marriage took place I found  the following:

The Morpeth Herald, Saturday June 2nd 1860.

At  Bedlington, 13th Ult. by the Rev. C. T. Whitley,
Mr. William Wilson, Blacksmith, to Miss Mary Jane
Swinney. - Same day, Mr. John Short, Blacksmith to Miss
Elizabeth Wilson.

Two months later, also in the Morpeth Herald (14th & 28th July 1860) there are a couple of advertisements for John Short, Blacksmith, "Late in  the Employ of Mr William Wilson of Bedlington" now opening his own business in Guide Post, Choppington, Northumberland.

This has got to be Elizabeth Wilson born 1832. I should point out that there are at least five generations (I think!) of William Wilson's in Bedlington and they were all blacksmiths, just to confuse things more! ::) ;D All the same family of course!

Off to check censuses for John & Elizabeth Short now! ;D

Great when it all comes together innit!! ;D

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to the Wilson Sisters?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

A further update!

This time Margaret's story has changed! Arghhh!

Have come across a Newspaper article in the Newcastle Guardian & Tyne Mercury of Saturday 13th June 1857. This states that a Margaret Wilson, wife of a Thomas Wilson committed suicide in Bedlington "on Monday afternoon". This I believe to be the 8th June 1857 with the burial that I found in Bedlington on the 10th June 1857. It is therefore almost certain that the burial that I found is in fact for a different Margaret! ::)

So the question now is, what happened to Margaret, Jane & Mary Ann. Elizabeth's story is now known & these details are added in blue below, so as to keep everything updated:

(All Baptisms/Burials took place at Bedlington, St Cuthberts).

William Wilson (1892-1858) Married Elizabeth Whale (1790-1859) in Earsdon on 19th June 1821.
William Buried on 11th March 1858. Was a Blacksmith by trade. Born in Bothal.
Elizabeth Buried on 4th Sept 1859. Born in Bedlington

Children (All born Bedlington)
Margaret Wilson (1821/22-?). Baptised 26th May 1822.
Jane Wilson (1824/25-?). Baptised 20th Feb 1825.
William Wilson (1828-1879). Baptised 28th Dec 1828. Married Mary Jane Swinney in 1860.
Elizabeth Wilson (1832-1913). Baptised 13th May 1832. Married John Short in 1860.
Mary Ann Wilson (1835-?). Baptised 22nd Nov 1835.

William Wilson b1828 & Elizabeth b1832, both now fully researched.

Good grief, its one step forward & two back with this family! What on earth is going to change next I wonder! Nothing I Hope! ;D

Kind regards

David