Author Topic: Booking your flights and hotels for your Summer holiday?  (Read 3626 times)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Booking your flights and hotels for your Summer holiday?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 05:53 GMT (UK) »
We had a cruise booked last year, that was cancelled, due to the nasty visitor that won't go away, luckily got our money back.  We had a short holiday revisiting the top of the North Island, a couple of weeks ago.

No intentions of travelling overseas for a long long time, as we reckon when the all clear goes, there will be everybody everywhere, so in the meantime, we are quite happy having our holiday in our own back yard, or a few short trips away in our own country. :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
We have a week in July booked at our favourite B and B in west Wales which was booked during our annual stay there last July, which went very well. I just hope that we are able to go by then. If not, then maybe later in the year. Also, if we are able, we'll have another break somewhere in the U.K..
We have also re-booked our Baltic cruise which was cancelled last year and, all being well, we will be sailing away May 2022.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 15:19 GMT (UK) »
As we suspect all our much-loved British destinations - unfashionable bits of Cumberland coast, Whitby, Scottish lowlands, Welsh borders - will be booked up solid, and crowded, and we'd not fancy self catering, like good food done for us, then ....
.... Chez nous, in the back garden, 'phone on messages, and ..... relax!
That should come out cheaper, too.
Dearly love to zoom off abroad, but feel the price in terms of risk may still be too high!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 18:39 GMT (UK) »
If Nicola will allow us in  :-X we’re going to Galloway with our family in August, staying in two small apartments in the same building. It’s perfect: we can see each other while being in separate units.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Is that the same place as last year?

Thinking of it,  D & G is a possible for us too. I've not been over for a couple of years.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 February 21 11:45 GMT (UK) »
My week in the Lake District moved from early May 2020 to early May 2021 has been cancelled and will be moved to early May 2022, 3rd time lucky! My 2020 summer holiday to Switzerland was cancelled as was my January 2021 holiday to Switzerland and it looks unlikely that I will be able to go this summer either. I might make it in January and/or the summer 2022.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 February 21 13:34 GMT (UK) »
We have not booked anything for this year yet. Will wait and see how thing go first.

When we do book it will be self catering probably not far from home. Looking at Perthshire or if we are allowed to cross the border Northumberland - Seahouses area which we love. Self catering suits us better as we have a dog who is 12 years old and his days of going into kennels are over. We don't cook as a rule but go out for meals or get takeaway.

Gadget - Have you been to Orkney before? It is well worth a visit and we have holidayed there a number of times.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 February 21 13:58 GMT (UK) »
I've been twice, Dorrie, and really loved everything about it. It was easier when we lived in the Highlands but that will be one of my early destinations when it's safe for us all.

Dumfries & Galloway is another favourite place - my mother's ancestors came from there. We lived in Wester Ross for many years and went there on holiday before that. We also lived in Aberdeen and the NE has some good places to stay. Kintyre is also a good place. The Western Isles have been mostly wet and/or midgie  but I've always gone at the wrong times - e,g. February to Lewis, Harris and the Uists and Skye in July- August  ;D ;D ;D

Lots of places in Scotland that I love visiting.

Maybe we can exchange passports - you can come here and I can come there  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 February 21 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It depends on when I will be fully vaccinated, without vaccination I can't travel abroad, even if I don't travel by plane. Here they are still vaccinating only the people over the age of 75, so maybe it will be my turn in April or May or maybe even later. By the way I live near Lucerne in Switzerland. I'd like to travel to Munich, Germany and Besançon, France, both for research purposes. But if I have to stay in Switzerland, I'll probably spend some weeks in our beautiful mountains.

Svenja

Interesting to hear how other countries are getting on with vaccination.
I have a package holiday booked in Switzerland in mid-June with a 4 day extension in Germany I booked myself, so a bit complicated. I originally booked in September 2019, for a holiday in June 2020. The Swiss  package part was cancelled of course, but I had some difficulty with the hotel in Germany as that was open for tourists at the time. Eventually they agreed to changing it to same dates in 2021, again to run at the end of the week in Switzerland. Hope it will go ahead. I should get my second vaccine dose sometime before then, the 12 weeks will be up on 8th May.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott