Author Topic: Booking your flights and hotels for your Summer holiday?  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Booking your flights and hotels for your Summer holiday?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 09:45 GMT (UK) »
We have two Landmark Trust Properties booked for July and September.
I love holidaying in history 🙂 and have been staying in them since the mid 1970’s.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/

Romilly.

Ooh,yes!!!!! Me too Romilly!

We always try to stay somewhere with a bit history whenever possible when we travel.

I’ve considered staying at landmark trust properties but for the areas I looked at at the time (years ago) they were all a bit too big, (sleeping up to 10) when there were only three of us.

Do you have any favourites?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I like Professor Jonathan Van Tam, he does talk a lot of sense and several times has said the opposite to Government policy. I think he pointed out that even if this country says it is fine to travel, other European countries may not say the same. A lot of them are also behind us when it comes to vaccines. I won't be leaving the UK any time soon.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I like him too. 

Have been happily holidaying within the UK for many years and this year will be no exception.
Got Cornwall booked for June and Isle of Wight for September. 

Had booked to attend a wedding in Scotland for May but not doing that now. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes Ruskie,
My all time favourite, where we stayed in February 5 yrs ago now, is Villa Saraceno, in the Veneto, Italy.
It sleeps up to 16!  But Landmark have started shutting down part of it during off peak times and letting it to up to 5. In fact it was just myself and my husband who went, and it totally lived up to expectations!

Other than that, we love Monkton Old Hall and the West Blockhouse in Pembrokeshire, the Danescome (Arsenic) Mine and Arra Venton in Cornwall, Gurney Manor in Somerset, most of the ones in North Wales... (I could go on...:-)
One still very much on my wish list is Fort Clonque in the Channel Islands!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes Ruskie,
My all time favourite, where we stayed in February 5 yrs ago now, is Villa Saraceno, in the Veneto, Italy.
It sleeps up to 16!  But Landmark have started shutting down part of it during off peak times and letting it to up to 5. In fact it was just myself and my husband who went, and it totally lived up to expectations!

Other than that, we love Monkton Old Hall and the West Blockhouse in Pembrokeshire, the Danescome (Arsenic) Mine and Arra Venton in Cornwall, Gurney Manor in Somerset, most of the ones in North Wales... (I could go on...:-)
One still very much on my wish list is Fort Clonque in the Channel Islands!

Romilly.

Thanks for those Romilly - I'm off to look them all up.  ;D
Maybe something to look forward to one day.

Added: They are all fabulous!!!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Now: in the Veneto sounds really appealing - but probably not anytime soon.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Now: in the Veneto sounds really appealing - but probably not anytime soon.

TY it was lovely, - I’ve just been looking through our photos to remind myself...

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/villa-saraceno-12832/#Overview

Romilly.

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I know Venice very well, but don't know the real Veneto as well. Very pleasant thoughts..... (sighs) TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 21:50 GMT (UK) »
The Ponte Vecchio, Florence, one evening in 1986  :) scanned from my own photos of an Inter Rail tour around Europe, including all the main sight seeing places of Paris, Cannes, Nice, Montecarlo, Monaco, Pisa, Florence, Rome, Brindisi, Corfu, we were green and met at the Port by Agents who persuaded us to stay at their place known as the 'Pink Palace' which turned out to be a bit of a camp bedded Den-of-iniquity so we hired motorbikes, ate out and took our possessions with us (as someone nearby was robbed), but apart from that we had fantastic cheap lodgings and great food mainly in hotels arranged by an Agent at each Rail Station (looking to fill rooms), back to Brindisi, Venice, Lienz Austria, a day trip up the mountain road  Grossglockner hochalpenstrassen by coach and then on foot using a lift down the slope onto the Grossglockner glacier and walked on the glacial ice and back; Salzburg, then back through Germany with a few hours in a City and back on the train to Ostende and home.

The struts under the houses that are hanging out over the Bridge sides  :o  :o  ;D still surprise me!

I never kept a Diary, but have an envelope full of Hotel receipts and some places visited en-route and some photos of most of the stops and sites of interest.

Mark