Author Topic: John Craven b ~1825 emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welcome to RootsChat, Sam. I'm sure that Sharlene will find your information useful.

Map of civil parish of Taghmaconnell showing townland locations.
https://leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/taghmaco.html

List of civil parishes in County  Roscommon with corresponding list of R.C. parishes.
https://www.from-ireland.net/category/church-parish-records/roscommon
R.C. parish for the civil parish of Cam is Dysart & Tisara.
Cowban

Offline AngloIrishSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Craven b ~1825 emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 March 21 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thankyou for your information.

Sharlene, just to note that is a discrepancy with the Taughmaconnell RC records. According to the Irish national archives, taugh has records available from 1840ish onwards and this simply isn’t true. They have 1 year in 1842 and then there’s 20 years of missing records, this is notable when you look at the actual microfilm although it isn’t made clear on any ancestry sites or even the national archive for that matter. I have chased this up with the diocese of flo feet who are just baffled and I have asked st. Ronans church in the parish who have not yet responded. It’s interesting too as they don’t seem to know who the parish priest was during that time of the missing records however I came across a newspaper article where it mentioned the priest of the time. He had died in 1863. Patrick galvin. Funnily enough his entire tenure as priest is the exact period of missing records 😂. I often joke that I need to dig up Taughmaconnell.

If you are of the cravens of south roscommon. It will most likely be the parish of Taughmaconnell, namely the townlands of coolfree, taughmaconnell and cuilfadda. As your craven left Ireland prior to the completion of the griffiths in 1855 it is likely that the landholders on here are siblings or cousins to your ancestor John. There are 2 Williams on the griffiths valuation, one born in 1807 and the the other 1827ish (off top of my head). There is also a Michael, John, Martin, James and Patrick. These again were born between 1795- 1840.

The next record is the tithe applotment records (1830) which only has one craven in Taughmaconnell and this is a Matthew. According to one record set however this is in Taughmaconnell and according to another it’s in St. Peter’s Athlone the neighbouring parish. This however seems like it was the townland of cuilfadda which borders the 2 parishes and was occupied by cravens later in the griffiths of 1855 too. Funnily enough my ancestor who was born in 1844 was also called Matthew. So either all the cravens lived here in the 1830s or they did earn enough to pay the tithes. I read conflicting things about the tithe records. However the craven in the area reared bullock and it doesn’t state which townland it is.

Anyway, if it transpires you’re one of ours we have a craven Facebook group, all genetically related. Where we share info. You’ll find out everything there is to know about the cravens of south roscommon.

Also note there aren’t many any where else in Roscommon.

Sam x

Offline AngloIrishSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Craven b ~1825 emigrated to America 1846 to Louisiana from County Roscommon
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 March 21 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I really should have spell checked. That was meant to say diocese of clonfert.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 March 21 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Catholic registers on National Library of Ireland website. Dysart and Taughmaconnell are neighbouring parishes.
Dysart & Tisara, diocese of Elphin, counties of Galway and Roscommon
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0544

Taughmaconnell
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0338
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 March 21 20:30 GMT (UK) »

Sharlene, just to note that is a discrepancy with the Taughmaconnell RC records. According to the Irish national archives, taugh has records available from 1840ish onwards and this simply isn’t true. They have 1 year in 1842 and then there’s 20 years of missing records, this is notable when you look at the actual microfilm although it isn’t made clear on any ancestry sites or even the national archive for that matter. I have chased this up with the diocese of flo feet who are just baffled and I have asked st. Ronans church in the parish who have not yet responded. It’s interesting too as they don’t seem to know who the parish priest was during that time of the missing records however I came across a newspaper article where it mentioned the priest of the time. He had died in 1863. Patrick galvin. Funnily enough his entire tenure as priest is the exact period of missing records 😂. I often joke that I need to dig up Taughmaconnell.

There are baptisms for 1842 & 1843. Marriage register begins 1863. Patrick Galvin's name is in the baptism register as parish priest. PP in 1860's was Walsh. Handwriting in baptism register 1842-3 looks same as when Rev. Walsh took over. Small, neat writing.
Cowban

Offline SharleneM54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 March 21 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sam ~~ Thank you so much for the information you shared.  I am going to study it all in detail.  Since you took a DNA test at Ancestry I wonder if you match my sample.  It is identified as M.C. I would like to contact you privately about the DNA matches as not sure people want their names publicly listed on this site.

Would you please tell me who your grandparents are on your Craven line and back to your immigrant ancestor.

I would really appreciate it if you could email me * to discuss the DNA matches.

I have found that M.C. matches a Craven that descends from William George Craven.  This match indicates he was born 14 August 1837.  She says his birthplace is in Ballinasloe, County Galway, Barony Killian, Parish Moylough, Town Bonvirian, but I think the town should be Bovinion instead.   I see that Ballinasloe is on the border between Galway and Roscommon. 

I have seen the same names you mentioned in the Tithe Applotment records and the Griffith's Valuation.  I agree that it is very likely that these people are related to our Craven family.

Thank you again for your messages.  I hope to hear from you in my email to discuss the DNA results since we both have tested there.

Sharlene

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 March 21 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Sharlene, personal email addresses aren't allowed on the forum. Neither are names of people who are alive or may be alive. This type of information should be exchanged via personal message. Sam should be able to send and receive personal messages after making 3 posts. Click on the user-name or either symbol below it to access personal message option. .
To remove your email address click "Modify" above your post, delete email address, then "Save" to repost the remainder of your reply.   
Cowban

Offline AngloIrishSam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 March 21 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the clarity of the priest. I am rolling these dates off the top of my head. I just know theres 20 years missing of parish records that according to the national archives are there as well as other ancestry sites. It send me on a wild goose chase for years LOL.

Sharlene, you havent come up as a match but it does look like its the same one based on the info you have provided. This is the record

Name
John Craven
Birth
1823 • Ireland

(AGE)

Marriage
11 Jan 1848 • New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Mary Finnegan Craven
(1826–1912)

Birth of Daughter Catherine A. Craven Tarbat(1848–1919)
6 Nov 1848 • Louisiana

Birth of Son Michael John Craven(1852–1928)
Nov 1852 • Louisiana

Birth of Daughter Mary Ann "Marie" Craven Ford(1857–1917)
2 august 1857 • California

Birth of Daughter Elizabeth M. Craven Simpson(1860–)
Jul 1860 • California

Birth of Daughter Ella Craven Meier(1863–1939)
May 1863 • California

Birth of Son Daniel P. Craven(1865–1880)
15 Jan 1865 • California

Birth of Son Thomas Joseph Craven(1869–1921)
Apr 1869 • California

Death of Son Daniel P. Craven(1865–1880)
15 Nov 1880 • Eugene, California

Death
1894 • Eugene, California

I will send you my email so we can share matches and maybe i can provide you some hints to filter through the matches.

best wishes

sam

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 March 21 12:57 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for the clarity of the priest. I am rolling these dates off the top of my head. I just know theres 20 years missing of parish records that according to the national archives are there as well as other ancestry sites. It send me on a wild goose chase for years.

Birth of Son Thomas Joseph Craven(1869–1921)
Apr 1869 • California

I agree it would be helpful if it was obvious from the title that 20 years are missing. It's apparent once you  click on the select a year heading.

Off on a tangent - the California link. A contemporary of John Craven from Taughmaconnell became governor of California in 1860's.
Cowban