Author Topic: My Heritage special offer - no unlock fee for uploaded results  (Read 1467 times)

Offline emeraldcity

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Heritage special offer - no unlock fee for uploaded results
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 March 21 23:49 GMT (UK) »

It was so busy on that Site last night, that I could only get on intermittently!
And I seem to have lots of new matches on there today....

Romilly 😃

I'm not surprised as they are offering this excellent freebie. People are probably playing with the new animating tool too.

I don't have Ancestry to compare, but I quite like My Heritage - it's easy to use, and has loads of useful features. I'm surprised that Ancestry is so popular considering it's limitations. Must be all that advertising that has snared them millions of customers.  :)

MyHeritage seems to have some more useful DNA options but in general I find it much less intuitive to use than Ancestry.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 March 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
I uploaded my DNA data from 23andMe and just assumed it was free!! 

I don't understand their results, they state I am 60% Scandinavian and only 4% English, whereas both 23andMe and Ancestry show I am between 55-70% British/Irish ancestry - not found any Irish yet though with only about 4% Norway (which apparently includes the Faroe Islands and Iceland ::) )

I've not found any Scandinavian etc. ancestry at all so far.  I'm trying to find my g.grandfather and, although, I've now found many distant relatives and more or less know his wider family tree, I've not located his parents - my view is he was illegitimate and his birth probably not registered or he was passed off as someone else's son - there is no trace of anyone from Scandinavia.  There are a few from the Netherlands born in the 1600s.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 March 21 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I uploaded my DNA data from 23andMe and just assumed it was free!! 

I don't understand their results, they state I am 60% Scandinavian and only 4% English, whereas both 23andMe and Ancestry show I am between 55-70% British/Irish ancestry - not found any Irish yet though with only about 4% Norway (which apparently includes the Faroe Islands and Iceland ::) )

I've not found any Scandinavian etc. ancestry at all so far.  I'm trying to find my g.grandfather and, although, I've now found many distant relatives and more or less know his wider family tree, I've not located his parents - my view is he was illegitimate and his birth probably not registered or he was passed off as someone else's son - there is no trace of anyone from Scandinavia.  There are a few from the Netherlands born in the 1600s.
Supposedly MyHeritage were updating their ethnic breakdown %s, but I am not sure they have fully implemented the update yet. What they have added is regions, which weren't previously there i.e. SW England, Midlands, East England etc. Until they update it, it hasn't been known as a very reliable predictor of ethnic ancestry.