Author Topic: How to find the owner of buildings and the origin of a street name  (Read 1415 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to find the owner of buildings and the origin of a street name
« on: Thursday 25 February 21 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I have identified a 'street' that appears in 1841 and 1851 censuses called Winks Buildings. I have identified it on a map (1862) where it is shown as a street off Turks Row in Chelsea. There is a cluster of Winks residing in the immediate vicinity. My first thought was that the 'buildings' were owned by a Winks and so I tried cross-referencing the names of residents from the 1841 census on the Land Tax Valuations list pre 1841 but without success. I know it exists in 1834 as I have a burial record with the address, as well as an arrest in 1834, reported in The Examiner.
Any ideas?

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to find the owner of buildings and the origin of a street name
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 21 08:44 GMT (UK) »
It seems to have been a very unhealthy place to live: there were typhus deaths reported there in 1850 and 1851 ( the place was " pestilential in the extreme" ) and cholera in 1854. I noticed also a report of a smallpox death in 1852 at "Winks Buildings Battersea".
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:33 GMT (UK) »
[There's a Reference to a Mr Browne, Architect of Winks Buildings, in the above link.
[/quote]
Thanks for the link, Sandblown...Winks Buildings certainly get around! Now there's a Canadian connection... but I still feel it's doubtful, as Winks is not an uncommon name. Also the Canadian version is quoted as a 'fine block', while the Chelsea version was apparently "pestilential" - see ShaunJ's post.
Cheers

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Fascinating (and appalling) description of the living conditions, ShaunJ. Thanks. I'd really love to know who the owner was - hope he wasn't one of mine!!!
Do you have the link for the Battersea report?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Winks Buildings Battersea report: https://tinyurl.com/ju6p95m8

There was a James Winks at that address in the 1851 census
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 February 21 14:11 GMT (UK) »
After much searching, I believe "Winks Buildings" are possibly named after W. Winks, who was an active Builder, in Battersea and Chelsea, during the 1830s,1840s and 1850s.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol12/pp31-40

The above link is just a mention of His work in Chelsea, but I have seen reference to His activities in Battersea.

Refer to Danvers House Estate in the Article.

ADD: The 1851 Census has a William Winks, Builder, living at 6, Queens Road East, Chelsea. Born c.1796, Chelsea, Middlesex, England.

Queens Road East is now Royal Hospital Road, Chelsea.

Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 February 21 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted, Sandblown. Thanks for that.
William Winks was, indeed, a builder but, to my knowledge, only after c1846. Up until then he had been a baker (!) - shown on children's baptisms (up to 1844) and 1841 census. The first confirmed records I have of him as a builder are in 1847 (daughter's marriage) and the surveyors reports for Chelsea (1846). The first work that appears there is a minor one: "pulling down and rebuilding external wall” in Lower Church Street, which is next to Danvers Street. It is in the latter that he undertakes his biggest project - 12 houses that are still there. In fact he will reside and die there. There are other references e.g. a court case for theft from a builder named William Winks in 1841. He does give his address in Royal Hospital Row, which would confirm him as the same but, of course, this conflicts with the records as a baker. Also, the Winks Buildings existed before 1834 and were, by all accounts,  of an extremely poor standard, while the Danvers Street houses are of high quality. There is reference to work being done in Battersea, in partnership with a George Bass, but in 1848.
You mention work as a builder in the 1830's. If you have found something to that effect could you give me the reference/link?
Cheers