Author Topic: How to find the owner of buildings and the origin of a street name  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to find the owner of buildings and the origin of a street name
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 February 21 19:44 GMT (UK) »
http://oro.open.ac.uk/18803/

The above link is to a OU Thesis on the Development of Battersea. It's quite a large pdf document when downloaded.

I found a reference to a 'Winks' in1834, Using the 'Search' function on Adobe. Continuous searching with the forward arrow key > brings up more 'Winks' references.

There is an anomaly, as 'Winks' Trade Occupation, in one reference, He is described as a Carpenter, and born 1788, in Middlesex.

ADD: The 1834 Reference states "Winks" as Builder of 20 Properties, named Crescent Place, Battersea, on 0.25 acres of land. From the above link, it can be seen that a good number of other Traders/Shop Keepers, not necessarily Builders, speculated in Land Purchase, and Property Development.

Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 February 21 20:18 GMT (UK) »
  I read with great interest the document about the development of Chelsea. My aunt lived in part of a house in the area between Manor Street and Oakley Street in the 1950s, and I have wondered how old they were. Apparently 1850ish. They were rather run-down then, but very smart now!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 February 21 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandblown.
I had seen that OU thesis already but missed the 1834 reference. Well spotted. I am currently struggling with the facts that seem to cross-reference alongside the anomalies that don't.
I'll get back to you with my thoughts.
Thanks again
PS I think the "Other Occupations" referred to in the thesis refer to 'industry' in Battersea streets covered by the study, rather than property speculators. I'll be very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 February 21 15:22 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ previously mentioned the 1851 Census for the 'Winks Buildings', Battersea. There are 20 Properties listed as the 'Winks Buildings' addresses. These appear just after the 'High Street', Battersea addresses, and could possibly be the 20 Properties named as 'Crescent Place' in the OU Thesis.

Yes, there are 'Winks' living there, and in particular James Winks, Born 1788, Occupation Carpenter. Could the Author of the Thesis, have mixed up the Names and Occupations of William and James Winks ?

This is a possible theory, and I have no facts to back this up: I believe James Winks had a Criminal Record, as a young man (Reference Ancestry), so to obtain finance or work on Building Projects, could He have been initially sponsored by William Winks, a Relative ?
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 February 21 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Is this the Turks Row you mention? This is an 1894 map of Chelsea.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=51.48962&lon=-0.15716&layers=163&b=1
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 February 21 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the Winks Buildings in question was at the Lower Sloane Street end.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 February 21 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the Winks Buildings in question was at the Lower Sloane Street end.

So in the upper part of that block then.

I did find a Thomas Jackson in a Winks Buildings, near White Lion Street in Chelsea in the 1851 census but that was the only individual household living at a Winks Buildings. Inbetween Mermaid Yard and the Rose And Crown PH. Maybe the same place, and the other houses still being built, or another property of the same name, perhaps built by the same family.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 February 21 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandblown - well done! You spotted that there were 20 houses in the Battersea version of Winks Buildings. So, I had another look at the 1851 census. Before I had just seen the High Street as a neighbouring road. This time I looked further and found 'Square' = Battersea Square, which is still by Battersea High Street on Google Maps. I then checked on the 1862 Stanford map of London...and there, by Battersea Square, just off the High Street is Crescent Place.... AKA Winks Buildings in the 1851 census!
I have more but it's late so I'll get back to you tomorrow....and thanks for your inputs!!

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 February 21 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Sandblown. Below is the summary of what I conclude and you will see that you and I agree about James the carpenter (and yes he was convicted of larceny in 1811)

So, the possible anomalies/ niggles are:
•   The birth date of 1788 in the OU thesis (no source) in the context of building evidence in 1848. William was born in 1795.  We know there can be errors with births - however, 1788 corresponds to the birth of William’s brother James.
•   Profession as carpenter in OU thesis, 1848. There no evidence at all that he was a carpenter, unlike his brother James, who was a carpenter.
•   The 1841 court case showing William to be an established builder and a man of substance; the houses in Denby (Denbeigh?) Street not found on FindMyPast street search; no evidence that partner was George Bass
•   Absence of surveyors’ reports before 1846. Explanation is that the first district surveyors for suburban areas were appointed in 1845
•   The 1859 probate showing assets of below £200, strange for a successful builder living in one of the houses he built in Danvers Street
Possible explanations:
•   William was operating 2 professions side by side, maintaining the bakery side pending take over by his eldest son, age 22 in 1841.
•   The OU thesis reference to George Bass’ partner, William Winks, a carpenter born 1788 may, in fact, refer to William’s brother James, born 1788, a carpenter.
•   Conclusion to initial query: given the name of the street and given the evidence for Winks Buildings Battersea (see previous post), I suspect (and regret) that William Winks was almost certainly the builder responsible for the insalubrious Winks Buildings.

So, thanks a lot for your productive input, Sandblown - and thanks too ShaunJ for the 'sanitary' references and the pointer to Battersea