Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 25th February  (Read 461 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 25th February
« on: Thursday 25 February 21 23:43 GMT (UK) »
The Met Office got it right, it was sunny all day. Arranged with J to meet for our weekly walk at 5pm. Put spag bol ingredients in the slow cooker and went into the garden. It was breezy and a bit cooler but the sunshine was lovely. Started on the messy corner, dragged out lots of plant pots ranging in size from very small to huge. The huge one unfortunately has a crack in it. Pulled out the stand, it was a wooden shoe stand in a former life. Hosed it down on the patio, I was going to paint it with fence paint but couldn't get the top off the container. Levelled the soil in the now cleared corner and cut off a piece of the thick plant membrane that I'd bought online. Laid it and put the stand and pots back. All of this was heavy work and my shoes were getting progressively muddier. At some point during this I had some lunch then back to it. It's not finished but is looking better already. I eventually stopped what I was doing before I'd done too much.

Out to meet J at 5pm, it was still light, we had a good long walk. It was getting a bit chillier later, had worn my thinnest gloves, should have worn a thicker pair. Home to spag bol, watched Your Garden Made Perfect, it was quite a challenge for the designers this week but I think they did well. Bath and bed, worn out.......
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 25th February
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 21 00:04 GMT (UK) »
My goodness Roobarb you have had a busy day... but sounds like you enjoyed it... glad you were able to meet up for a walk... I’ll bet you have a really good nights sleep!

Today wasn’t as warm as yesterday but still pleasant enough... bread making day today... for a change white rolls and loaf..
After breakfast did some paper work for our local village magazine
Whilst doing this my daughter FaceTimed us... youngest J was having a cooking lesson, having to write down the recipe and measure ingredients... very impressed with his joined up writing for a five year old! Got his apron on and telling mum what to do... American pancakes! Which they then proceeded to eat with fruit on top! Eldest T had been doing maths and English this morning... whilst cooking was going on he showed us their latest acquisition... a fish tank with all the pebbles, plants etc ready filled with water... ph of water to be tested then fish to be bought... cold water so probably guppies... the tank will take about 10 -12 fish!
Had a walk down the village as it was by now quite sunny..
Lunch time we had a lovely fresh roll that was soft on the inside and crusty on the outside...
Into the garden and swept up the patio, cleaned all window sills and emptied plant pot holders of all water... in a day so many more little daffs are out as well as some small purple iris...a real pleasure to be outside...
Cleaned all inside kitchen windows, cupboards and glass...
Had a game of scrabble while having a cuppa after hard work... I won so all square again!
Had a zoom with two sets of our friends... nice to catch up for a chat...
Dinner we had salmon cooked in the oven with asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms and I’d pickled some cucumber as a dressing along with linseed sprinkled over the top... I had pasta with it and OH had sauté potatoes...
Watched tv... film Stan & Ollie ... very touching tale...

Beginning to really feel like spring now with the light much longer now..
Well we have a date on the calendar! 19th December! Daughter has booked for the whole family ( them & all grandparents) to go to see the Christmas lights at Kew... something to look forward to for then end of the year.... hopefully!
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 February 21 02:22 GMT (UK) »
A date for my calendar too, Caroline - 20 to 23rd October in York - which came about unexpectedly.

Last night we had our 'cousins quiz' and chatted as usual afterwards, at one point bemoaning the lack of holidays to look forward to.   My sister and b-in-law are going (fingers crossed) to a family wedding near Halifax immediately after then (the 3rd date planned?) and mentioned they were thinking of spending a few days in York beforehand.  Discussion re. York ensued, and my cousins wife said why don't we all go?  Upshot being we are!    Cousin investigated this morning - I last went there with my ex husband, so many, many years ago, but apparently parking in York itself now is a nightmare - some car parks charging £15 an hour I'm told!!!!    We will be staying in a Premier Inn some 4/5 miles outside York so parking will be no problem and paying £24.99 for a meal deal per day enabling us to have breakfast and evening meal in one of 3 restaurants in the vicinity (one being a Beefeater literally next door).   There is a shuttle just up the road which will take us into York so again no parking to worry about.  I've stayed in plenty of Premier Inns - pretty basic but since we are literally just sleeping there it will be fine.   Best of all, my sisters birthday is 21st and mine on 22nd. so we can have a nice family celebration.   Will travel up there with my sister and brother in law and when they go on to the wedding I'll travel back with my cousin and his wife. My cousin and her husband in Dorset are driving up too so there will be 7 of us.  Anyway, that's the plan and if things go pear shaped because of COVID again I'll go outside and scream very long and very loudly!!"

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, what a clever little boy your grandson is with his cookery lessons. Good to hear it's not just girls being taught to cook these days. What a busy day for you,  the daylight and sunshine are certainly encouraging.

Your plans for October sound great Annette, York is such a lovely vibrant city. I like Premier Inn, always lovely and clean and efficiently run. I'm sure you'll have a great time, something to look forward to.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales