Author Topic: Women possibly from the Helbling family - dating  (Read 248 times)

Offline Kirker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Women possibly from the Helbling family - dating
« on: Friday 26 February 21 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I have 3 photos of women with varying descriptions on the back.  The are definitely family members.  I would be very grateful if you could look at them and date them for me ....

1. Lady in green.  Description "great aunt Josephine Helbling 1840 (died) sister of Lewis Helbling (grandpa)".  I have been unable to find her in records. Parents married in 1782 and my 2nd great grandfather Lewis was born in 1796.  Lewis emigrated to England in 1818 and left his family in Vienna, Austria where she will have lived.
2. Lady in black and white.  This portrait has been described on the back as "Reprint of Josephine? Gt Grandmother to James Helbling - wife of Lewis P Joseph Helbling" and "Maria Josephine Helbling, Vienna" and "great grandmother Helbling of James Helbling and Amelia Carey".  Great grandmother  of James would mean the portrait is from Vienna and the date between 1770-1830.  Wife of Lewis Helbling would place the lady as English, living in London 1804-1837. Or of course it could be that the portrait is of a younger great aunt Josephine (died 1840) of Vienna.
3. Lady in pink. I love this portrait but have no idea who she is. There are no notes on the back.  I hope it is my 2nd gt grandmother Jane Helbling 1804-1837.  She was born in Otford, Kent of parents, who on their marriage could not write their names.  She married in 1823 at the age of 18, a 26 year old merchant from Vienna, Austria, named Lewis Helbling. By 1835 he was a partner in silk merchants in London. Sadly she died at the age of 32 having had nine children.

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandfather Alexander Allison in 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Women possibly from the Helbling family - dating
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 February 21 19:05 GMT (UK) »
First two are 1830s I’d say, difficult to see what side of the decade but could within years of each other. And the third is early 1820s
Hamilton, Lanarkshire - Devine, McGarry, Daisley, McGuire, Mullen, Sheridan, Ford
Blantyre, Lanarkshire - Gibson, Hamill, McInulty
Avondale, Strathaven - Mulligan, Dempsey
Glasgow - Sinclair, Allison, McFarlane
Renfrewshire - Allison
Perthshire - Sinclair, Roy, Donaldson
Edinburgh and Caithness Thurso - Sutherland
Edinburgh and Ayrshire - Sheridan