Author Topic: Whittlesea - Gutridge / Guttridge / Gutteridge  (Read 1600 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Whittlesea - Gutridge / Guttridge / Gutteridge
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 February 21 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Good luck Nookie :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 February 21 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I have been unable to trace a marriage here for him, but that could be because of parish records that are not on line - or, it could be that the 45th Regiment were in Ireland and he married there!!

From 'The 45th: 1st Nottinghamshire Regiment 'The Sherwood Foresters, Their Honours and Medals'
https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital%20BNJ/pdfs/1913_BNJ_10_14.pdf

In 1833 we find the 45th in Secunderabad, where it remained for some years. In 1837 it embarked for England, landing at Gravesend in 1838, and went on to Canterbury, thence to Windsor and later to Newport. In 1840 we find it again in Ireland. In 1843 the regiment sailed for the Cape, and after landing at Cape Town it was split up into detachments, doing duty in different places in South Africa, and taking part in numerous engagements against the Boers and Kaffirs. In 1859, after sixteen years' service in South Africa, it returned to England, and was quartered at Aldershot for some time, going again to India in 1864.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 February 21 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen - I have also been reading up on the 45th Regiment and spotted that as well.  So far I have not been able to find out whether wives accompanied them when they came to South Africa.  Unfortunately ship lists do not appear to cover that time period. 

I also, quite frankly, think that it is unlikely that the 45th Regiment would allow wives and/or children to accompany the regiment on duties, but could well be mistaken. 

I am now planning to search for Mary Guttridge as an immigrant into South Africa - possibly with children.  The only children I have been able to trace for Thomas and Mary here have been boys which strikes me as a bit odd - although not impossible.

Many thanks for the information.  Really appreciate the interest in my problem.

Liz
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 March 21 09:35 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot but if his Army Service Record has him in Ireland in 1841;

On Familysearch.Org;

Marriage 1841 Ross, County Cork, Ireland.
Thomas GUTTRIDGE to Mary LUNNIN

Trish :)

Trish - that is just so interesting!  I have just been through his service record again.  He had just over 18 years in service, of which 14 years and 3 months were in the Cape.  That basically means that there are about 4 years unaccounted for.  I am assuming that the missing years would be at the beginning of his service with the 45th Regiment. No mention is made of anywhere other than the Cape of Good Hope, even though he served in Natal from at least 1845.

I have been unable to trace a marriage here for him, but that could be because of parish records that are not on line - or, it could be that the 45th Regiment were in Ireland and he married there!!

Guess what I am going to be exploring this afternoon.   ;)    Thanks so much.

Just out of interest I have established that some of the 45th Regiment was in County Cork at the time. Now to try and sort out whether he could have been one of them there.   ???
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods