Author Topic: Diary > Friday 26th February  (Read 481 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 26th February
« on: Saturday 27 February 21 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Woke myself up coughing, went on for a while before I was properly awake. Can only think it had been something in the garden the previous day that set me off. Sunny again, quite chilly early on. Out for a walk before lunch, had something to eat then prepared for art class.

Class went well, it was the last week for this project and although none of us had finished we can carry on with it during the week or during the next class. I'll be doing mine during the week, I'm the only one of the four of us in the afternoon class who is familiar with pastels but the others have done well. Next week is a demonstration and we'll have to join the morning class for that. The following week will also have to be in the morning due to the teacher not being available in the afternoon. Not a great time for me but I will be there.

Cooked some salmon in the oven, did new potatoes, peas and tomatoes and some fine green beans that I thought I'd try out, they were lovely. I'd previously bought frozen green beans but they're such an enormous bag full, they don't suit me. Why does everything have to be family size? Will stick with the smaller pack of fresh ones in future and just hope I don't forget they're there.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 26th February
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 February 21 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb- good to hear your arts going well...pity it’s mornings for the next two weeks but hopefully the weather will be better encouraging you feel more like a morning person!

It was a beautiful day and although a little chilly we decided to get out for a walk after breakfast. We walked over the road down the hill and turned right for a change through the small village up the lane and over the fields along the road and home... the birds were singing and there was very little traffic once we’d crossed the main road... when we walk back over the fields and you turn to look back at the view it always reminds me of the east coast with those great elliptical skies... only without the sea on the horizon... but beautiful non the less..
Once home we flung all the windows open which I always like doing and am prone to do even if it’s chilly....
After lunch went out and pottered in the garden for a while....
Got dinner prepared, pork chops cooked in cider with mushrooms, onions and orange segments..
Had a late afternoon game of scrabble... I lost!
Got a message from friends we were on zoom with the previous night... they’re keen cyclists.. in fact they do a lot! Holidays in France and Italy over the years ... anyway message was they’d been out she’d hit a pot hole come off her bike and broken her shoulder... the pxonimal humerus... very painful and in a sling... such rotten luck ... good job her hubbie a good house and cook person! Along with our other friends were getting some flowers sent to her...
After dinner just watched usual tv and had an early night..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 February 21 23:13 GMT (UK) »
The weather makes such a difference doesn't it Caroline? Going for a walk in the sunshine is a real pleasure. Your poor friend, what a rotten thing to happen to her, it does sound very painful.

A poor turnout for today's diary thread, I wonder where all the usual suspects are! Must be busy doing interesting things.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 February 21 00:32 GMT (UK) »
You both sound fairly cheerful! It must be the improved weather and being a able to get out and about.

Your art classes sound very interesting Roobarb - it sounds like your teacher keeps you on your toes and gives you plenty of interesting projects. I think art classes by zoom are probably one thing that translates fairly well, though not as good as in person, it is good that the classes can still continue and reach everyone at home.

Ouch Caroline - your poor friend. I must say that I think cycling is very dangerous, notwithstanding potholes, I just would trust motorists not to hit me, and of course some cyclists take risks in traffic I think. Your pork dinner sounds lovely. I used to make a recipe with pork, apple, sage and cream which was quite nice. I think it is a common combination so there are probably loads of recipes online.

My Friday was spent trying to keep cool. I visited my father, then picked up a few groceries, watched a bit of TV .... I can’t remember what else. I was very pleased to see that the grubs renting a house across the road are moving on. Hallelujah. I dread to think what state the place is in inside. Here’s hoping that it is rented to a quiet clean family.

Watched Notting Hill on TV in the evening.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 28th February
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 February 21 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Where have all the diarists gone?, I do enjoy peoples news and hearing about their surroundings but everyone appears to have gone quiet, perhaps we are all feeling  a bit down  but there is a light at the end of the tunnel from next week when we can meet up with a friend in a park, I am hoping to meet up with a friend on a park bench with a coffee and perhaps a cake , last time I did that was just before we locked down again, sitting on a bench i  park with a blanket sounds ridiculous but it was fun and we got a few smiles from passers by, also hoping to see my family soon, my daughter did pop in last week but she sat in the cold on the patio whilst I sat inside with my coat on but that will soon change

I am hoping my next jab will be next week, my husband has had both of his, they have opened up a theatre locally which was all very well organised, moved it from the hospital which is much better parking wise

Hope everyone is well and keeping safe

Louisa Maud

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 February 21 09:44 GMT (UK) »
The sunshine certainly gives me a lift Ruskie, although I can imagine that the level of heat you get is quite exhausting.
My art classes have definitely been a saviour, I don't think I'd have been getting on with any painting without the teacher to inspire me. I'm absolutely in awe of her and the way she has learned how to use the technology and used it to our advantage. She didn't even have a mobile phone until recently and was quite a technophobe which is unusual for someone of her age. One of her children taught her how to record her demonstrations and the lessons, talk about role reversal!
Hope you get some nice neighbours to replace the recently departed ones.

I hope you can get together with your friend again LM,  such small things really help. Fresh air and a friend's company can really give you a boost.
Hope you get your second jab soon, I haven't had my first one yet.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham