Author Topic: Looking for JOHN 'jock' RICHMOND dob CIRCA 1938 PAISLEY  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for JOHN 'jock' RICHMOND dob CIRCA 1938 PAISLEY
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 March 21 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Scotland people have a birth in 1939 Paisley but the certificate is not available
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
The reason for that is Covid-19. Normally you can download birth certificates that are over 100 year old, and you have to order more recent certificates, but the certificate ordering service has been suspended while the pandemic lasts. So we all hope it won't be long before you can order a copy of that birth certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 March 21 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am in NSW Australia.  There are restrictions on accessing non historic records, and we should establish that Jock is no longer living.   I will try to assist, could take me several hours to reply further, as I am not at my home where my trusty reference book lives in the top drawer. (you know, the real deal hard copy book that we older family history buffs have, the pocket note book etc).

Cheers,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 March 21 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Lynne, could you provide some more detail on John's life in Australia please? Sometimes going forward helps with going back! If we can avoid naming any living people...

Where did John live and make his life in Australia? Did he marry and have children there? Do you have his death details (at least an approximate location/year(s)).

Monica 

PS: As an aside...I have spent a little while this PM looking at your Violet Kaiser in Edinburgh again (been a few years  ::)). Her entry on the 1911 census didn't really help much did it  :-\
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 March 21 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Here is the live link to RYERSON index.  It MAY be useful, and it is sensible to check it regularly to see for listings under the name of the person of interest.  It is an index where volunteers lodge death, funeral and probate notices that appear in newspapers.  It does not cover every newspaper. 
https://www.ryersonindex.org/  But there’s around 70 individual deceased names listed there for the given and surname of our person of interest.  So, basically I cannot confirm the death of our Ops person of interest.

I will post some tips shortly.   :D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 March 21 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Passengers arriving in Australia in the 1960s….

Well, many still came by ship, as £10 POMs…. An emigration scheme.   The National Archives of Australia has digitised many of the passenger lists for that era.   It is the arrivals manifest for each voyage, and it is the list that was lodged at the FIRST port of call in Australia, provided that voyage was across the Indian Ocean, ie via Suez or around Cape Town, in South Africa.   It often reflects part of the info that you can find on the Departure passenger lists at Ancestry and FindMyPast etc, but it does extend well into the 1960s.   

Home page for National Archives of Australia:
https://www.naa.gov.au/

It can be a tedious process to find the aeroplane Incoming Arrival Cards,  but do NOT give up,  they are usually in strict alpha order by surname, then by given names.  They are usually in batches of around 2400, and so around 1200 passengers per bundle (each card has back and front).

Here is a possibility:  (it is page 607 and page 608 of 2376)
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=12001710&S=607    Notice it has a DoB, a nationality, a passport number, and other identifying info about a passenger with same name as your person of interest on .   You will likely eliminate this chap, based on his date of birth.   Page 608 gives you the Immi Stamp permitting arriving to Australia, stating date and airport etc. 

Here is another possibility:  (it is page 471 and 472 of 2298)  - this batch is very poorly sorted, but the indexer has been careful and the NAA index has found it. 
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=12554824&S=471     It is for a chap flying from NEW ZEALAND (Wellington) to Sydney for FOUR DAYS … an Engineer, likely work related, but obviously if only intending to stay in Australia for 4 days, he was transiting.

Here is another possibility … this is a SHIP … the Canberra.  So page 50 of 62.  Tourist class, arriving June 1963.
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=11990360&S=50
Mr and Mrs …. With their proposed address for Tasmania.

There are eight jurisdictions that make up the federation of Australia.  Each one has its own parliament, and so, from a family history perspective, there’s eight separate BDMs… so just as Scotland’s People looks after Scotlands bdms,  well NSW BDM looks after NSW, and Qld BDM looks after Queensland, etc.   NO centralised register covering all the jurisdictions. 

Each BDM has its own set of rules, but in general terms, members of the general public are not given access to NON historic records.   So, there’s time restrictions…. In NSW it is 100 years for births, 50 years for marriages and 30 years for deaths.   

I am still pondering how to help.   I agree, we need more clues. … any middle name,  profession/occupation,  if married, etc. 

I have living rellies who are actually old enough to be parents to people born in 1939.   Some of them are retired NSW BDM senior officers, some are clergy, some are retired Archivists.  They are concerned for the Australian strict rules about privacy of the individual.  In Australia that extends to the person’s names, date of birth, etc. 

May I suggest perhaps a NEW thread with a link back to this thread.  New thread to go on the Australia board, asking for help on this thread on Renfrewshire board.  Ask for all replies to go to Renfrewshire board, and perhaps ask for the Australia thread to be locked to avoid duplications.

In meanwhile,  I will pull thinking cap down further. 

JM

Offline lynne67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the help its really helpful

\I have trawled quite a lot of lists with no luck so far. All I have at present is John was from Paisley born circa 1938 +/- a couple of years and related to the Porteous family. He was single when he emigrated to Australia around 1963/64. I am relying on information from elderly relatives which is minimal and many of the original contacts are now deceased.
McCulloch, Kaiser 1807 (Marriage Lambeth London, edinburgh 1909) Stevenson

Agnes Calder then wright, then kaiser, then gibson, unknown dates/places

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have any clues re:

:) his occupation in Scotland
 :) where in Australia he went to? .... as in what state? 
      - New South Wales (Sydney is its capital city)
      - Queensland (Brisbane is its capital city)
      - Victoria (Melbourne is its capital city)
      - Tasmania (Hobart is its capital city)
      - South Australia (Adelaide is its capital city)
      - Western Australia (Perth is its capital city)
      - Australian Capital Territory (Canberra)
      - Northern Territory (Darwin is its capital city)
 :) names of his mum and dad (this info is included on bdms for several of those jurisdictions just listed above).

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 07:25 GMT (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Porteus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porteous_family  includes several famous Australians who are still alive.

JM

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Just a wee note, Scotland's People has not totally suspended certificate ordering within the 50,75 and 100 year limits, it's just that they only accept orders within normal office working hours because of the Pandemic (I understand it is stated on the website)
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire