Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 28th February  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 28th February
« on: Sunday 28 February 21 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Another sunny start, had a very pleasant walk, was lovely to see some of the trees covered in white blossom. Back home I prepared the vegetables for tea, I had a chicken that I needed to cook and I knew I wouldn't feel like doing much preparation after gardening during the afternoon.

It wasn't as warm in the garden as yesterday but still very nice. Pulled out a lot of suckers from the fuchsia bush, it tends to try and take over. Had to squeeze between the bush and the fence to get at some of them. Managed to cram some more into the bin by chopping them into smaller pieces. It's looking very tidy in that area now.
The clouds started coming across so I came indoors and did some work on my snowy landscape painting, it's coming on well.

Enjoyed the Sunday dinner I'd made with lots of veg. Watched the Pottery Throwdown, some great pieces again, was quite shocked and disappointed at the ending. Next week should be very interesting.

There was an item in the local news about some people who were camping on the cliff edge. Literally on the cliff edge. How does the saying go? Oh yes  - You can't fix stupid.

First day of March tomorrow, nearly a year since the first lockdown.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 28th February
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 21 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Haven’t posted in a few days, time I bored you all :) again.
Roobarb, sounds like you are being very industrious in the garden and enjoying your art (I know there are some frustrations but it must be rewarding).  Can’t imagine blossoms on the trees, your February is our May.
Weather has warmed up here, even had some rain, so the snow is shrinking.  That does not mean winter is over, though, just the deep freeze is unlikely to return. March can be a devil for snowstorms.
Nice to hear some birdsong in the morning and the sky is lighter at 6:30 and tonight it was still a little light 12 hours later. 
We went out three times this past week, what excitement.  Went to the local grocery store haven’t been in there since December.  They have a trail mix I like.  Stopped at the pet food store for little lad, he needed a top up.  Also hit the library for the next Peter Lovesey book, OH is reading it.  We went to a clothing store and OH picked up two sweaters, total of $40, I paid $60 for one for him for Xmas, same store, very similar.  He was very happy, both with the sweaters and the bargain price.
We also went to another charity shop, I got a puzzle, good brand, all different windows and very colourful.  We also got some books. I gave up on one puzzle I was doing last week, too hard, and pieces missing.  Finally got a bag of puzzles over to a friend, she was very happy to get them. 
We went for a walk in our huge local park yesterday, it was a blistering 7C, and was it crowded! There was ice around the edges of the Thames but it did not freeze over this year.   My leg/hip bothered me last night due to the walk, but not too bad today.  I did some online work this morning, got a project done 10 months in the making.
Caroline, sorry about your friend’s injury, a friend of mine had the same sort, but she was visiting her mother in the hospital, slipped as she entered the building, so did it in the right place and got immediate attention, not fun at all though.
Covid cases still down here, 100 active cases in region of half a million.  I may have mentioned where my daughters and brother live, Niagara region, have more restrictions because Toronto people will inundate them and TO has always been the hot spot and still not doing well.  Niagara itself does not have a high number.  Seems unfair, but probably sensible.
Finished my Patrick Taylor book and started Anne Perry’s second in her William and Charlotte Pitt series, might take me years to get through them all, think there are about 30!
Happy March, everyone! 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 21 01:43 GMT (UK) »
It sounds like you’ve been keeping busy and being constructive Roobarb. It’s always good to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labours in the garden (and with your artwork too of course).

Another hot and humid Sunday for me. My daughter and boyfriend were coming for lunch, so I decided we would have Banh Mi - light and easy. There is a bit of prep involved with quite a bit of slicing of ingredients, so I started early on the pickled carrot to give it a chance to “brew” for a while. In the past I’ve cooked my own pork fillet infused with suitable flavours, but it’s not really worth the effort as I didn’t think there was much benefit taste wise, so recently I’ve been buying a good sliced deli pork which is probably better I think.

Watched a couple of episodes of Scott and Bailey - am enjoying this series.

Took dog for a walk - she was particularly silly - barked at a couple of dogs. Some she ignores, and some press her buttons - I have no idea what the trigger is. I know she is a nervous dog and they say barking is a symptom of this, but it can be a bit embarrassing sometimes. People are stupid too - I always cross over the road to avoid her coming face to face with another dog, and am amazed how often the person with dog also crosses the road, so I have to re-cross.  ::)

A bit of rootschatting and TV in the evening. Had the air conditioning running till about 9pm as it was still quite humid.

Added: I was just about to post this and saw you had posted Diana. You’ve had a busy day too.  :)7 degrees? That must have been very pleasant. The trouble with snowy climates is that when it warms up, every dick and his dog goes out - not good, especially during these times.  I had to smile when you referred to your dog as “the little lad” ... that’s so sweet.  :)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 March 21 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie, imagine it is very warm there, but we will take 7 degrees right now, and the sky was.a lovely blue and no wind.
Your dog sounds a bit like mine, he is barky.  Partly the breed, partly his own foolishness.  His first two years before we adopted him were not the greatest, not abused I don’t think, just probably ignored. 
What is the weather there now?  Is it cooling down a bit?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 21 01:58 GMT (UK) »
It’s still warm here Diana. 32/33 degrees during the day. It is overcast so doesn’t seem quite as hot if you keep still.

My dog was born nervous I think. She had a lovely dog Mum and first human mum. We got her when she was 8 weeks old and has had a very easy life.  ;D She’s a golden retriever - generally a very chill breed, but not this one. She is gorgeous, but is a bit of a weirdo. I think she’s quite bright too.  :)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 March 21 02:03 GMT (UK) »
It’s still warm here Diana. 32/33 degrees during the day. It is overcast so doesn’t seem quite as hot if you keep still.

My dog was born nervous I think. She had a lovely dog Mum and first human mum. We got her when she was 8 weeks old and has had a very easy life.  ;D She’s a golden retriever - generally a very chill breed, but not this one. She is gorgeous, but is a bit of a weirdo. I think she’s quite bright too.  :)

Much too hot for me, Ruskie! We have those temps in July and August, and it’s humid too.  I hate it!
Dogs are all different, aren’t they?  OH and I agree Darcy is the brightest dog either of us have ever had, and the most appealing, it’s the barkiness which is his only fault.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 March 21 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Haven't read all the posts yet but from the ones posted last week, it sounds like you all have a spring in your step.
Well it's the 1st of March here and summer has gone, so should be over your way soon. Winter is the toughest time to have lockdown mainly because of the weather.
You would have heard it on the news but just in case we are in lockdown and not happy about it.
Auckland is back at our level 3 and where I am it's level 2 for a least a week. Last month we had a 3-day lockdown to get on top of things but that didn't work.
Here is a link that will tell you why
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19-coronavirus-frustration-as-new-covid-19-case-visited-infected-family-during-l3/IPA5EP4WDWTBIM65OV5SKYOM2U/
It only takes one.
A 21-year-old was unwell for a week before getting a test then went to the gym.
The team of 5 million less those that broke the rules are not happy.
Last night and today it is hot and muggy with showers. Not enough to help the gardens.
Stay Safe
from a frustrated Carol in lovely NZ.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 March 21 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Well I got almost through my writing and then it all disappeared.....
So here we go again!

Roobarb- sounds like your gardens coming on a treat already... perhaps allowing you to sit and enjoy during the summer... likewise your art too!

Diana - you too have had a busy time visiting shops for bargains .... glad you think 7C is balmy weather brrr!
I can understand barky dogs and great that you are concerned.... wish others were! Sounds like yours is a sweet little one going by his avatar.
Hope the leg improves with some light exercise...

Ruskie- oh we’d like some warm and balmy weather... maybe skip the humidity though! Found that hard to cope with when we stayed in Brisbane in 2019... son very kindly left air on all night for us... your lunch sounds very tasty... not tried to pickle carrots b4 ...

Carol - how annoying for you all... just one person puts a whole place into panic mode irresponsible to say the least... we currently have an unknown person with the Brazilian variant somewhere in uk because they didn’t fill in their paper work correctly... why they were let in in the first place baffles me!

The day started beautifully sunny although at 4C a little chilly....
Read the Sunday papers... two lots as had free one with my shopping delivery on Saturday....
Decided I’d get my card finished for my friend with broken shoulder... she’d received the flowers we sent and her hubbie had arranged them beautifully....
whilst in the midst of card making our daughter FaceTimed us with two very excited boys... they’d just been to the garden centre and bought 6 cold water guppies for the fish tank... beautiful colours... iridescent with pale blue tail... several with tiger tails and one with black tail... all named after singers in groups like iron maiden, guns and roses, death leopard etc! Eclectic tastes they’ve definitely got!
After lunch we went for a walk as it was such a lovely day... met few others out too always nice to catch up and only time we see anyone!
Sat outside with a cuppa once home and delightful listening to all the birds... and the motorbikes screaming up and down the road... so we came indoors as it was spoiling the tranquility...
We’ve heard back from the Dog Warden too saying the owners have once again been visited and the case is being left open for six months...
We had noticed on our walk that the field they own that runs along the road out of the village has now had the square mesh fencing put up...place where we last had our experience of the make dog on their side of the ditch... not very adequate at only 3’ high but better than nothing... not seen or heard a peep from them since our last experience so hope it’s all sorted for everyone’s benefit.
We had a couple of games of scrabble won one lost one now one behind!
Dinner was roast chicken with roast pots, green veg etc..
Watched pottery Throwdown... shame about those that left but they were told to stick to the brief and one especially didn’t.... both good potters .... liked the winning one...
Another day passes bringing us nearer we hope to being able to at least get out a bit... even just a coffee with the girls in our gardens like last year would be soooo nice!
Keep positive everyone....
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 March 21 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Diana, you're certainly not boring me! And I'm sure the others would agree, it's interesting to hear about life at the other side of the pond. Re the tree blossoms, I don't know what sort of trees they are but there are just the tiny beginnings of leaves on them and no buds on any of the other trees in the wood. It's lovely to see the blossom.
Pleased to hear you managed to get some puzzles. I didn't realise there was a Thames in Canada, I was never very good on geography. Every day's a school day!  :D

Had never heard of Banh Mi either Ruskie. Come to Rootschat and be educated!  ;D Can just imagine you criss crossing the road along with the other dog walkers!

Very sorry to hear you're back in lockdown Carol, there's always some idiot who thinks they can do such stupid things then everyone else suffers the consequences. Hope it's soon under control.

Caroline, good to hear that all's quiet on the dog nuisance front, what a shame that doesn't apply to the bikers.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales