Author Topic: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 20 March 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff

If this is the right Adam then there are some siblings baptised in the same parish:

Dionizy Franciszek Napoleon

Jan Nepomucem Ignacy

Marianna Emilia Zuzanna

Adam Tomasz, as detailed before

Record 342
Tomasz

Record 343
Wiktoria

Tomasz & Wiktoria on second to last scan:

https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/jednostka/-/jednostka/14604743?_Jednostka_delta=20&_Jednostka_resetCur=false&_Jednostka_cur=4

I haven't found births or a marriage for Piotr and Anna so far.

Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 20 March 21 20:09 GMT (UK) »
That is very thorough of you, Gaie. I am not familiar with Polish names but I presume that Dionizy Franciszek would be a boy; Jan Nepomuceum Ignacy would be a boy; Marianna Emilia Zuzanna would be a girl; Adam and Tomascz are boys; and Wiktoria would be a girl. I also assume that Tomasz and Wiktoria must have been twins.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 21 March 21 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Birth Adam - translation
He could´nt decipher Piotr´s profession.

notification:
December 11, 1812 at 3 p.m., in presence of the Vicar of the Church of the Virgin Mary, representative of the registrar of the Virgin Mary Parish in the Department of Kraków, Powiat and Kraków Municipality
notifying person (= father): gracious Mr. Piotr Grzybowski, ?., 40 years old, residing in Szpitalna street no. 564
A male child born in his residence on the 10th day of the current month and year at 4 a.m.
Mother: wife of the notifying person, Madam Anna, née Sobolewska (Sobolewski), 30 years old
name of the person to be baptized: Adam Tomasz
Witnesses: Mr. Wincenty Chorosiewicz, Secretary of the Municipality, 32 years old, residing at 393 Żydowska Street, and Mr. Jan Wilczyński, possessor, 45 years old, residing at 563 Szpitalna Street
Read to those appearing and signed by the priest and the persons mentioned above.
Signatures:
Piotr Grzybowski, Wincenty Chorosiewicz Secretary of the Municipal Office,
Jan Wilczyński

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 21 March 21 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Davecapps. I found Szpitalna St, Krakow, in Google maps (there is a nightclub called Szpitalna 1 on that street) but it doesn't seem long enough to have a No. 564. Anyway, we now have the address, the day and the time of his birth. And the ages of his parents. And if my cousins want to go to Poland they can at least visit the street where he was born as well as the church where he was baptised.

Lucasz in Poznan said Piotr's profession was Customs officer, so that might have been a specific Polish word your friend didn't know.

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 22 March 21 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Piotr's occupation looks like assydent humory celny; celny is customs; an archaic term so customs officer is a good fit.

Piotr may have gone on to become a barrister but "promoting" one's parent to a better-sounding occupation / social position was common in the 19th century.  Are there any parental details on Adam's first marriage record?

Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 22 March 21 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I don’t have an image from the first marriage, in Edinburgh on 24 Dec 1834, but the FamilySearch transcript has her father listed, but not his. No professions.

Geoff

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 25 March 21 05:20 GMT (UK) »
I now have the 1841 Census which gives the age of both Adam and Maria as 25, so born in 1816, not 1806. It also says both Adam and Maria were born in Poland, and we know Maria was born in Scotland. That seems a bit unreliable so I don't see that as any reason to discard the 1812 Krakow baptism, which fits roughly with the US Census, US arrival document and London lodge details.
We also raised the question of divorces in Scotland at this time. Maria's first cousin Jemima Saunders Robertson Bremner married a friend of Adam's, Soter Drelinkiewicz, on 19 Apr 1836; divorced him (at her insistence) on 25 Feb 1845; and then married her own cousin, James Grindlay Bremner, on 26 Feb 1948. There is no evidence that Maria and Adam were divorced -- Maria was described as Adam's widow on her death certificate. But it is handy to know it was possible, I guess.   Someone might have better luck than I did at reading this divorce listing, especially the fine print.

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 25 March 21 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff

NOTE

A Decree of ? Divorce at the insistance
of the said J S R Bremner was pro:
        by the Lords of Council & Session
on 16th  .  Extraced on 26th Feby 1848
conf            extract produced            ...siding
& Declaring that she is loosed acquit
ed & freed of the marriage betwixt her
& the said Soter Drelinkiewicz & that it is
lawful for her to marry any other free person
whom she pleases in the same
manner as if she had never been
married, or as if the said Soter Drelinkiewicz
were               dead.

I'm not yet convinced that the right Adam has been found.  We could be looking at three different Adams !!! 

I looked at the transcription of the 1841 Census on FreeCEN: https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a151daff4040b9d6e29f447/adam-grzybouski-1841-midlothian-st-cuthbert-s-1816-?locale=en

Under occupation the transcript says "Government Allowance", not doctor.  Have you seen the original?  I wonder what government?  Regarding the ages, in the 1841 Census ages were supposed to be rounded down by five year intervals, so don't read too much into apparent discrepancies.  In 1851 Maria is shown as 43, and her parents as 75 and 66 (25, 60 & 50 respectively in 1841).

It's odd that Maria would be a dress-maker in the 1851 Census if her husband was a member of the Royal College of Surgeons and a freemason.  Where is Maria in 1861?  What was her marital status then?

I do not know whether there are signatures on the marriage between Adam and Maria, but if so it would be good to compare Adam's signature with the later marriage found in London.

The Ł2 sent to the known Adam came from Karol Sienkiewicz who was the joint founder of the Polish Library in Paris and was the private secretary of Prince Adam Czartoryski.  Many emigrated from Poland after the Uprising of November 1830, especially those who had been in the Polish army.  Did I read somewhere that Adam's occupation was given as something to do with the army on one of his children's marriages?  If he was friends with Soter, another army chap then it would make more sense for him to be army as well, rather than a doctor.  They both seem to have disappeared around the same time...

Adam the doctor who was a member of the Royal College of Surgeons was recorded in their Calendar as resident in Berlin until at least 1888.

Looking forward to the information from the Edinburgh Lodge!

Gaie

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Here they are in 1835:

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qgd/

A dinner and speeches in Edinburgh for raising funds for Polish refugees, Adam and Soler (Soter?) listed as sub-lieutenants and invitees, though it does not go on to say if they actually attended (Prince Czartoryski did attend and speak).  Karol Sienkiewicz was not present but was heavily involved in the welfare of Polish refugees.

On page 48 there is a list of donors to the Fund for the Polish Exiles; I wonder if that would be the source of funds for the "Government Allowance" in the 1841 Census?

Gaie