Author Topic: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.  (Read 6215 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 22:16 BST (UK) »
Joseph Piechowski's wife Georgina was the sister of Adam Grzybowski's wife Maria [his first wife, the Scottish one].
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: POLAND (Germany?) Birth of Adam Grzybowski about 1806. Possible death in US.
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 23:42 BST (UK) »
I'll write a summary of this complicated story, as Brigidmac suggests. It certainly has been a great example of the way Rootschat can bring skilled and generous people together from all over the world to solve family history conundrums!
I think it is reasonable to assume the Piechowskis in Mobile were related. Joseph was born in Poland in about 1808 and his children were born in Scotland in about 1840-41. George was born in Poland in about 1821 and Hugh was born in Scotland in about 1856. George might have been a younger brother of Joseph's and Hugh might have been George's son. Louis must have been an approximate contemporary of Joseph's since they both fought for Alabama in the Civil War. They may have been brothers or cousins. Louis died in 1877. The widow applying for a pension seems to be Louise. Emma, who was born about 1842, is the wife of the man who went to Brazil.
All we can say for certain about how they all ended up in Mobile is that they must have followed Joseph, or indeed Joseph might have followed Louis. Because as this ship list shows, Joseph, Georgina and the two children were the only ones on the boat arriving in New York on 1 Sep 1845.
But as you will see when I write the summary, it is Adam that we are really interested in anyway. Geoff

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 05:16 BST (UK) »
Summary Part 1
On 30 Nov 1835 a fundraising dinner was held in Edinburgh for Polish emigres. There were several Polish Army officers in attendance, and three in particular interest us because they married Scottish women from the Bremner family. Soter Drelinkiewicz married Jemima Bremner; Adam Grzybowski married Jemima’s first cousin Maria Bremner; and Joseph Peichowski married Maria’s younger sister Georgina Bremner. The weddings were held in the same Edinburgh church in 1834, 1836 and 1838 respectively.
In 1845 Jemima sued successfully to have her marriage to Soter annulled, and she then married James Bremner in 1848. He was the brother of Maria and Georgina and her own first cousin. Jemima and James moved to South Africa and fade from the picture.
Adam was born in Krakow on 10 Dec 1812 and baptised the next day at the Basilica of St Mary. His father was Piotr, a literate Customs Officer later described by Adam as a barrister (perhaps gilding the lily), and his mother was Anna Sobolewska. We know of three brothers and two sisters.
Adam graduated with a medical degree in Berlin then moved to Scotland, but was not able to practise because he was not admitted as a surgeon until Dec 1846.
We know that Adam was a freemason. He joined the Edinburgh No. 1 (Mary's Chapel) Lodge about 1834 and the Polish National Lodge in Kensington, London, in 1847, by which time he was a surgeon at St Thomas’s Hospital.
Adam and Maria had three children: Uladislaus Adam Grzybowski (b 1835); George Grzybowski Bremner (b about 1842); and Harriet Mary Bremner (b 1844). The lack of a Grzybowski among Harriet’s names might be significant, but when she died in 1877 Maria was described as “widow of Adam Grzybowski surgeon”, and she is using his surname.  When the first child married in 1861 (calling himself Adam Bremner) he said his father was Adam Grzybowski, a sub-lieutenant in the Polish Army (dec’d), and his mother was Maria Grzybowski (nee Bremner).
Adam married again at St Botolph, Aldersgate, London, on 1 Aug 1848, to Harriet Sarah Chance (1827-1874) and they had a daughter, Harriet E. Grzybowski, born in France. We have no records for that birth. But the family then emigrated from Le Havre to New Orleans on the ship Manchester, arriving on 21 Dec 1849. Adam gave his birth date as 1814 in Poland,  and said his last residence was Poland, which suggests he might have gone back to Poland between leaving London and arriving in the US.
From New Orleans the family headed upriver and when the Census was taken on 1 Jun 1850 they were at Brazeau Township in Missouri. The ages given were Adam, born Poland, 38; Harriet, born England; 23; and Harriet, born France, 1. We don’t know what happened to Adam after that. Harriet headed back to London and had another daughter on the way – Sophia Jane, born in New York in 1852. When Harriet was baptised at Holy Trinity, Marylebone Road, London, on 12 Dec 1852, Harriet described herself as a widow.
Harriet remarried, to a man named John Lee at Shoreditch in the first quarter of 1871. She died at Edmonton, Middlesex, in 1874. Her daughter Harriet married William Frederick Snow on 5 Feb 1872  at St Olave, Bermonsey. Harriet’s other daughter, Sophia Jane, married Henry Bentley in Oct 1879 at St Pancras, London.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 05:16 BST (UK) »
Summary Part 2
The third Polish officer was Joseph Peichowski. He and Georgina had two children before emigrating to the US. When they arrived in New York on the Hebrew on 1 Sep 1845 they are listed as Joseph, aged 37, born Poland; Georgina, aged 24, born Scotland; Levi, aged 5, born Scotland; and Rose, aged 4, born Scotland. From New York they headed to Alabama, where Joseph joined the 36th Regiment of the Alabama Infantry on the Confederate side in the Civil War (1861-1865). It is not known if Louis Peichowski, who served with the 1st Battalion, Alabama Artillery, was related.
Rose Peichowski married Eugene Pillard in Mobile, Alabama, on 24 Dec 1855, when she would have been barely 15 years old. Rose and Eugene lived in Mobile or Galveston, Texas, until Eugene died in Mobile in 1915. Rose also died in Mobile. She was still alive in the 1910 Census. Nothing more is known of Levi.
There were other Peichowskis in Mobile around this time who might have been related. One family had a child in Mobile, then moved to Brazil where two more children were born. The husband died and the widow and children appear back in Mobile in the 1880 Census. One of the children is named Louis, so this may be the family of the Louis Peichowski who fought for Alabama, not Joseph.
Our emphasis has been on Adam and his family, since he is directly related to my cousins. One cousin is in Scotland and the other was born there but now lives in Australia, as I do. Obviously we have relied a lot on the Scottish cousin, but Rootschat has provided all sorts of unexpected details about the rest of the story.
The only “will” we have is a summary of the assets of one of Adam’s sons, who died intestate. The Edinburgh lodge does not seem to be taking inquiries and the London lodge has not answered my email. The documents we have support the conclusion that Maria’s children used Bremner, but their mother used Adam’s surname and acknowledged herself as Adam’s widow.
Except, of course, we have no evidence of Adam’s actual death, just that Maria and Harriet both said they were his widow. If Harriet is correct, and she had Adam’s second daughter early in 1852 but was a widow when the child was baptised in Dec 1852, that really narrows down his time of his (alleged) death. But if he changed his name and disappeared, that leaves us with a major gap in our research. And it is looking like that might be the only answer.
I hope that puts it all in context, Brigidmac, and that others agree with my summary.
Geoff

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 06:27 BST (UK) »
Fantastic summary
Isnt it odd that Adam has two daughters named Harriet one with Maria BREMNER + one with Harriet Sarah CHANCE .

I hope some descendants turn up who
are DNA related to these people .
Have you or any relations  taken a test where any of these surnames occur in shared matches ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 06:42 BST (UK) »
I guess if Harriet Chance wanted to name her daughter Harriet (a family name, perhaps), Adam might not have been able to say, Oh, I already have a daughter named Harriet with the other wife I haven't told you about! lol
I am not descended from Adam, but my cousins (who are) have both done their DNA.
Geoff

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 06:51 BST (UK) »
I've just looked a marriage cert of Sarah and Adam#(record of original on one of the  ancestry trees)
Their signatures are on it

the profession of Adam's father doesn't look like barrister there is no double letter could it be a mistranscription ?

You.ll have to ask your cousin's if they have shared matches to any of the half sisters ancestors or descendants.

I looked for the french.birth too . I know I've found french births before but can't remember which site I used

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 07:06 BST (UK) »
I think that Levi and Louis are the same person  -  the son of Joseph Piechowski.  Maybe Louis was his middle name or he just liked it better than Levi.  One interesting thing that suggests that Louis is somehow connected to Joseph is the burial register of Louis's son, Louis, Jr.  The first line gives his name as:  Louis Piechowski [Pillard].  The only Pillard in this story is Eugene Pillard who married Joseph's daughter Rose.  Why Louis, Jr. would get the name Pillard attached to him is a mystery but strongly implies that Louis is related to Rose and we know that Rose is related to Joseph.   

One thing that strikes me is that 1845 was a critical year for all of these people.  In 1845, Jemima and Soter split up, Joseph and Georgina emigrated to the United States and Adam went to London to finish his medical qualification and, while there, made the acquaintance of Harriet Chance.

I wonder if Soter Drelinkiewicz also wound up in the United States?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 07:15 BST (UK) »
I can't see that document from Australia. I just have the quarterly return listing Harriet Sarah Chance's marriage. There is another Rootschat thread that mentions Adam and Harriet

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=485275.msg3435809#msg3435809

I thought the barrister reference might be from there but apparently not. I can't think where I saw that now.

I have never had much luck with French records. I don't have a worldwide subscription to Ancestry.

Geoff