Author Topic: Brick Wall  (Read 3337 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 07 March 21 17:53 GMT (UK) »
There is a gap in the Michigan death records/indexes that are available online from 1953-1970, so that is probably why a death record can’t be easily found.  Also, most entries on the Social Security Death Index are from the early 1960’s forward, so he would likely be missed on there if he died in 1959.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 March 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Trying to make sense of the 1923 passenger list of the Virginian but finding it a bit difficult to read.

As far as I can make out he arrived in Quebec in Aug 1907 and was going to stay with a friend Mr Sheppard at 393, Hey Street W.Toronto. Then he was going to Michigan to a friend J Sithe? at 1050, Turnbull Ave, Detroit 5/3/1923. It says his nationality was Canadian. After that the only other record is the 1930 census .

Is it time to give up the search? I am driving my husband mad.
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 March 21 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I can see the 1923 border crossing, and that says that Mr. Sheppard was the name of the relative/friend in the country from whence Alexander came (Canada).  On the 2nd page, there is the information about the address you mentioned that he was going to, but it doesn't say anything in the column where they asked if he was in the US before, so that would indicate it was the first time he came to the US.

I see a 1907 passenger list to Quebec for the Virginian for an A.E. Littlejohn, but there's not a lot of detail to determine if he's your guy.  He's listed as a 30 year old single miner going to Montreal.  Under nation or country of birth, he has a ditto under a bunch of guys listed as born in Sweden, so that may or may not be correct.

I did post other records above, including the city directory entry & the Social Security application.   Considering the date of birth on the Social Security application matches your guy's, it's almost certainly the right one. 

If you wanted to spend money on it, you could try to order a Michigan death record, as explained here - https://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/0,5885,7-339-71551_4645---,00.html  You could also order his original Social Security application for a fee.  It would give his address  & employer at the time of his application.  More information available here - https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2020/11/16/ordering-the-ss-5-2020-style/

The 1950 census is expected to be released next year, so that may be helpful.  As time goes on, more of the Michigan death index may be released.  So even if the information isn't readily available now, it may be in the future.

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought could he have been involved in WW1 and is this why he was in Canada from 1907 to 1923 when he crossed the border into America. His nationality was shown as Canadian.
brown,henshaw in cheshire,berry,dowding,phillips in gloucester, littlejohn,arkle,nicol in aberdeenshire.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 15:21 GMT (UK) »

There was no sign of Alexander Littlejohn in Canadian Attestation Papers.  here is the link for you to have a play with yourself.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/personnel-records.aspx

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 11 March 21 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I found the tree of Mary littlejohn, a sister of Alexander, on ancestry who was married to Andrew Crichton. She died in 1962 so would have been alive after Alexander died I think.

So I sent a message to see if her family had been contacted and I had a response from Ancestry stating that “The member connect service is unavailable.  Please try later.” So it hasn’t been sent.

Is there any way I can view the Social Security Application & Claim?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 11 March 21 17:22 GMT (UK) »

just as reply 5 referred really (available on subscription site)  - it is just an index - a transcription - nothing else to see - other than...........

Alexander Littlejohn
Birth Date 30 Mar 1877
Birth Place United Kingdom
Claim Date 13 May 1942
SSN 375093942
Notes 16 Sep 1977: Name listed as Alexander Littlejohn

I believe the 1977 date - is just a date that this was entered on to the index.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline poirot

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 12 March 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

I would like to thank you and others who have helped me with my research but I now realise that I am never going to find the death of Alexander Littlejohn in America. So I think the time has come to close this thread.

I would like to return to the Canadian thread that I first posted many years ago looking for the marriage of Charles Littlejohn to Maria Lynch.

You have been very generous with your time and expertise and I really appreciate it.

All the best,

Poirot

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 12 March 21 16:30 GMT (UK) »
There are always new records appearing so you never know - one day Alexander may turn up.

Meanwhile I have resurrected your 2020 Canadian thread on Charles Littlejohn and Maria Lynch for you.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=836380.new#new

Sandra