Author Topic: Kelly's in Keighley  (Read 441 times)

Offline hunnibee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Kelly's in Keighley
« on: Tuesday 02 March 21 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for any information about the Kelly's who lived in Leeds Street Keighley, especially between 1900-1950, and North Dean Road.
Names of interest are William, Mary Ann, Hugh, Winifred, Teresa and Margaret.

Many thanks in advance
Antonella
Lewis - Glamorganshire, Breconshire
Halladay - Bermondsey, Glamorganshire, Gloucestershire
Edwards - Glamorganshire , Pennsylvania, USA
Watkins - Glamorganshire
Riglia - Scisciano (NA ITALY)
Arsolino  - Italy, USA, UK (southend)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly's in Keighley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 20:40 GMT (UK) »
No birthyears given.  Are they one family or more?  What is the relationship between the names given?

Exactly what type of info are you looking for?   Have you looked them up on the 1901/1911 census & the 1939 register? 

Where they all born in Yorkshire or elsewhere?

Have you checked freebmd for BMD info?  www.freebmd.org.uk

Please do not post details about anybody who may still be alive
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 18:05 BST (UK) »
I seem to have a maternal dna link to a family in the same street and another group of matches who are Kelly descendants going back to Co Mayo. I can't be sure if they connect to each other or if I just happen to bridge the two family groups. Very few have trees and those that do either don't really overlap with each other or omit years/places. It can be a real nightmare trying to work out if two instances of a name are the same person or not.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 June 23 19:26 BST (UK) »
HI Glen,

Going by the time period of the first post of hunnibee, its so vague, being 2 street names in KEIGHLEY
and a list of Kelly first names with no linking info of what is the family connections, years of birth of the names or marriages. between 1900 to 1950
The only suggestion I can give is look at residents in Leeds street and  North Dean Road in KEIGHLEY on the 1891c, 1901c, 1911c,1921 c and 1939 register also electoral registers in Keighley and (nothing to do with your Kelly family history but the name of the books >) Kellys directories in Keighley library

Also trips around local graveyards or MI's of burial grounds near to  Leeds street and  North Dean Road in archives and libraries.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 June 23 23:43 BST (UK) »
Found online tree names appear about same as post # 1 exception addition of  Anthony

Nothing certain here but better than nothing to work on. Someone may find it useful as a research start.  ???  :-\

William Kelly 1892–1934 father   x   Mary Ann Mullarkey  1886–1959 mother
Marriage 24 Feb 1917
Keighley, West Yorkshire, England

siblings

Mary Kelly 1917–1918
Anthony Kelly 1919–2010
Hugh Kelly  1920–1978
Winifred Kelly 1922–2014
Teresa Kelly 1924–2004
Margaret Kelly 1927–2015
William Kelly 1930–1930

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 June 23 00:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to reply Dobfarm.

I'm looking at two sets of dna matches showing two families in the two streets, both are maternal links but I can see nothing to link them beyond their dna descendants being in my results.

My info is about as vague as it it possible to be but there are a couple of my close maternal family taking tests so it might reveal something. If only I could have matches with unusual names instead of 100 options in bmd and census and matches who answer messages and had actual trees with information. I've just searched my matches for any with Keighley as a place mentioned in their tree and been staggered at how many there are, sometimes it's easy to forget to check the basic stuff.

Doubtless once the new results are in I may have a new angle to look from, in the meantime I have a lot of Keighley matches to check through!  You may have given me the little spark of inspiration needed.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 June 23 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Both methods of ancestry research are both good tools of the overhaul picture and give more accuracy in the end result

DNA is OK but basics are the best way to start with your family tree as it builds a sound picture of your ancestors lives as you go back each generation.

If possible your grandparents  start and follow either paternal or maternal grandparents but keep to one side of your  parents ancestry either  paternal or maternal but not both at the same time to save confusion or mix up,

Once you have decided on which route back check your great grandparents BDM's (if Known) which should take you back to hopefully the 1939 register and 1911c and 1921c

Then you will be in the 1837 BMD's forward of and 1841c up 1921census looking at trades or anything that connects and gravestones, burial records, parish registers.

In those days the parish of birth was their authority responsible for people even if they moved to another parish or town like overseers in the parish of birth collected relief money tax on parishioners of means to pay a small income to the poor with record of both as one example.

My Granddad Herbert - I found out was born 1866 a year before my Gt grandmother married my thought Gt Granddad in 1867 It turn out my granddad was baptized in 1868 in the surname of my
 Gt Grandmothers husband. I got my granddads date of birth from the 1939 register and by going to the Chesterfield register office asked if a Herbert had been registered as a birth to a Mary Cutts (My Gt
 Grandmother) on November 7 1866 and at last I had found my Gradfather Herbert's birth Certificate as Herbert Cutts born Illegitimate but took his mother Mary Cutts Husbands married 1867  surname of Tidmarsh also baptised Tidmarsh not Cutts illegitimate birth surname.

Was Mary Cutts Husband Thomas Tidmarsh Herbert's real father or another chap had been with Mary Cutts and thats where DNA comes in as a useful tool

Just to show how all methods need to be used. There is an old church in the Huddersfield University grounds with the flat headstone MI's- on one stone a lady who had lived in Huddersfield with her husband most of her life till he died, he was buried in this church graveyard with his flatstone MI. after he died, she went to London to live with her sister and after she died there was no record of her burial except for an inscription of her burial place, & date in London on her late husbands grave flatstone MI in Huddersfield.

A quick joke!

Posh woman on the village church flower arranging committee use to brag about her fathers ancestry went back to William the conqueror, so decided to do a DNA to prove it, she got a match a  taxi driver in NewYork - his father had been a GI in Engalnd in the run up to D Day landings and the woman who thought was her father - he was fighting abroad in 1944.

The lady in question left the flower arranging committee very quietly without a good reason   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 June 23 07:22 BST (UK) »
PS

If you put some names, dates, time periods, BMD's & census info you know are your family on this thread = it is highly likely it won't take members of Rootschat long with their collective knowledge and resources to soon put together segments generations of your tree together and as Carole W said we need  info to start a research. also she said  Please do not post details about anybody who may still be alive
 ???

Best I can suggest

Dobby