Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 2nd March  (Read 546 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 2nd March
« on: Tuesday 02 March 21 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Back to winter today, not much to report. I seemed to be busy all day although not sure what with, was feeling rather unsettled all day. Did some more to my painting and emailed it to my art teacher, am hoping she'll pronounce it finished. It was too cold to tempt me into the garden, no sunshine, just grey and gloomy all day. Garden bin collection is due tomorrow, have got a load more ready that'll half fill it again straightaway.

Met my friend J for a walk at five, had warned her to wrap up well but I think she was still quite surprised as to how cold it was. Not such a long walk tonight but at least it was light. Usual evening, finished off my bottle of wine, that turned out to be a rather large glass but I think I deserve a treat sometimes. Well that's my excuse anyway.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 2nd March
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes winter again here too! Hope your art teacher agrees with you that your paintings finished... onwards to the next project then! You make me feel incredibly lazy...
Well done for getting out in the chill for a walk but great to have a friend to do it with...

Early start for us today as OH’s car was in for its service and MOT... had to drive 10 miles to local town... a bit of a culture shock... we were there by 8.45am! Bank on the way home and delivered card to J who’d had the bike accident... she was at the fracture clinic this am...then a late breakfast...
Phoned my friend M ( she of Gatwick airport) as it’s her 70th .... she was thrilled with the card and she opened the two pressies and delighted with the tripod for her phone and even more so with garden vouchers... so nice to give people something they want!
Had a tidy up ... then a message from J’s hubbie to say that accident  more serious than first thought...she damaged the ball joint on her shoulder ... consultant said she needed surgery and his opening comment was ‘life changing’ so not good... their son is an orthopaedic surgeon in Reading so all scans sent to his shoulder surgeon who said ‘ he’d done worse operations..... and she’s having it done on Friday... not sure exactly what it all means but heart goes out to her...
After lunch we went to collect OH’s car and I popped into the butchers and bakers on the way home...
Switched the heating back on as it was a cold day... had a game of scrabble... got well and truly beaten... OH got a word over two treble word scores and he used all his tiles! Just as well most of them were only valued 1! Still ended up with 98 for one go!
Dinner was a new recipe from my Good Food magazine... salmon fish cakes... cook two sweet pots in microwave scoop out insides add lightly cooked salmon, some leeks, herbs smoked paprika mix all together... meanwhile boil some red and black quinoa then drain... form fish mix into cakes coat in qunoa then bake in the oven... cut skins of pots in strips brush with oil and also bake... lots green vegs to go with it... O.H not too sure said he preferred white fish for fish cakes but enjoyed crispy sweet pot skins! Oh well you can only try...
Usual tv...
That’s my day... bit of a roller coaster day... especially for my friend J....
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 08:14 GMT (UK) »
By special request, I am to try and spin an exciting novel out of my weekly trip to the supermarket yesterday! Door to door, all done and dusted in less than an hour, though quite busy with shelves being re-stocked, and pickers filling orders.
Had a Whatsapp chat with a Gransnet friend, though we hadn't much to say, we thought. Then ended up talking about both having been at the Powderham Castle filming of Flog It, and surprisingly it was screened on TV at tea time, which caused a brief flurry of excitement among the group members.
After lunch, as tutor sessions for H have been shuffled around, I walked out alone, to return a library book* and pick up my medication. Easterlies making it viciously cold and so misty I could barely make out the cruise ships at anchor, though there had been 5 basking in the sunshine the day before.
I wasn't in any rush to get back, so I made a large loop down to the prom and then up the cliff walk to extend the exercise a little.
Design challenge on TV later. I was vastly amused by the young man who seemed to say he wasn't expecting the beach hut to be at the sea-side! Also watched the DNA series from Stacey Dooley. What a lot of tortured souls in the world!
Roobarb it is great how you fill your days with art and gardening, both occupations are very creative and rewarding.
Caroline, very sorry to hear about your friend, and hope she makes a swift recovery from the operation.  The fish cakes sound delicious. I attempted cauliflower rice and butter bean patties a few days ago..... bubble and squeak kind of result, but an interesting experiment. :P
*"The Four Winds" by Kristen Hannah; about life for migrants from the Dust Bowl of Texas after the Great Depression, trying to make a new life in California. Amazing social history, of which I knew nothing.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to hear from you MH!
I’m presuming you weren’t in any of the Flog It screening..... we were once watching a programme filmed in Portsmouth Dockyard when this person wandered across behind the person talking to the camera when I said to OH
‘I’m sure that was Mike walking along’...
‘Don’t be daft ‘ he said...
‘No I’m sure it was’I said...
So after a couple of rewinds we were certain it was... I sent him a message saying did he know he’d been on the programme just walking along... he said he seen them filming as he’d been there on a visit and they’d wondered if he’d been caught on camera... so I assured him he had! It was quite weird seeing someone you know suddenly pop up out of the blue!
I like the sound of your cauliflower and butter bean patties... I make cauliflower rice quite often... not something OH would eat!
I’ve just finished a book called No More Tigers by Mary Rayner... all about her childhood in Burma and having to walk to India with her mother and siblings in 1942... aged 8! Interesting tale..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline..... I WAS smiling prettily for about 4 seconds near the end of the programme, (extreme right,) while Paul Martin was spouting as he does.  H and I also "featured" in the Roadshow from Newport. (Tredegar House.)  :P
His sister phoned up and said she thought she had just seen him on the TV, but it couldn't have been, obviously. She was most gratified to find it certainly was him.
I didn't spot my friend in the footage, but she had seen several seconds of her late husband..... said he hadn't aged at all. I said I have aged immensely and she, such a flatterer, did not agree. ;D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Worrying news Caroline for your friend J, hope her operation goes well. A good choice of present for your friend M, a lasting gift for her to enjoy. A great recipe for the fishcakes, I started off thinking it might be straightforward enough for me but copped out at the quinoa stage!

Great to hear from you MH, I thought your weather on the south coast would be better than ours but it doesn't sound like it has been. At least it won't be thronged with tourists. I've recorded the Stacey Dooley programme, couldn't settle to watch it last night. Hope you enjoy your new book.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Quinoa is very easy Roobarb.....
1 part grain to 1:5 water.
Wash the grain in a sieve carefully, to get rid of the bitterness.
Add the measure of boiling water, and simmer until water absorbed - about 15 mins.

I often eat it for breakfast. Sometimes I put in a dash of elderflower cordial to sweeten a little, or some dried fruit. This time I added ginger and mixed spice.

I find one cupfull makes 5 portions, and being a very lazy cook that feels great not to be making my breakfast daily for nearly a whole week.  ;)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 09:42 GMT (UK) »
MH - might have to do a catch up then see if I can spot you..... not that I know what you look like of course...
OH was on Antiques Roadshow few years ago...he was an actual participant.... I hid behind the presenter (Philip Mould) as I didn’t want to be seen.... very interesting day we had..it was at Kirby Hall...

Roobarb- you can swap the quinoa for breadcrumbs which OH said he would prefer.. so otherwise it’s pretty easy to do... I’m sure you’re capabilities would run to it... have to say never thought crispy sweet pot skins would taste so delicious...

Caroline

Added - quite like the sound of it for breakfast MH
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Big teeth!! ;D

Funny you hid from the camera Caroline.
Tredegar House I was quietly waiting in the queue and observing..... never dreamt the long shot during the obligatory Clarice Cliff piece would include me.  Bit of a wake up call to watch my weight again!!

Quinoa is really nice with some fruit and/or yogurt.