Author Topic: Parents of Robert Riddell - Born 1830 Ballygawley Tyrone Died 1890 Victoria Aust  (Read 3489 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Robert Riddell - Born 1830 Ballygawley Tyrone Died 1890 Victoria Aust
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 March 21 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Ballygawley Presbyterian Church Graveyard:  Peace Perfect Peace. In loving memory of Thomas Riddell, of Millix who died 20th March 1873, aged 58 years and of his wife Margaret Riddell, who died 1st March 1900 aged 80 years. Also of their daughter Sarah Campbell, who died 17th June 1883, aged 33 years. Erected by their children, also Thomas Riddell, who died 10th May 1927 and of his wife Isabella, who died 2nd Septr. 1934. And their daughter Mary Elizabeth who died 12th Nov. 1980 aged 69 years, wife of Arthur Charles butcher who died 22nd June 1981 aged 80 years. Until the day break, and the shadows flee away Solomons Song. 11.17

Margaret's will is free to read on the PRONI website: Probate of the Will of Margaret Riddell otherwise Riddel late of Millix County Tyrone Widow who died 1 March 1900 granted at Armagh to Thomas Riddell Farmer.

https://apps.proni.gov.uk/willscalendar_ie/WillsSearch.aspx

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Robert Riddell - Born 1830 Ballygawley Tyrone Died 1890 Victoria Aust
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 March 21 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Margaret's (probated 1909) will mentions her daughter Margaret Riddel/l and son Thomas Riddel/l both of whom were living with her at the time she drew up the will in 1893. 

PS Great find Gaffy...full of info!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 March 21 10:24 GMT (UK) »

Thomas Senior born 1815 died 1873
Margaret Snr born 1820 died 1900

Thomas & Margaret Riddell's  children:

Thomas died 1927
Margaret Riddell
Sarah Campbell died 1883 born 1850
Agnes Riddell b.14 may 1862 (died 1928 Ohio USA) married Daniel Lockhart 1888 Ohio
George J Riddell b. 1864 (Died 1915 Ohio USA) married Anna Timmons 1889 Ohio

Peter Riddell 'late' in 1851 by the time of his daughter's marriage

Peter Riddell and 'Madame X's' children

Robert born 1830 Family known to OP

Eleanor full age married 1851 stated she is a widow of X Moffit marrying Samuel Mills

Thomas born 1815 see above for some of family....gaps so may still be more children to find. 

Offline Mixo

• RootsChat Member
  • Lead miners from near Alston & Allendale
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 March 21 23:55 GMT (UK) »
WOW.

Thank you all for your time and expertise. You are amazing at what you do. I will pass on this info to my cousin John Riddell, and thank you all on his behalf.

Best Regards,
Mixo Sydenham
Victoria Australia
Joseph Richardson & Ann Metcalf from Alston c1720s, Fenwick Allison & Isabella Slack from Garrigill c1770s,
William Calvert & Eleanor Allison from Allendale c1790s,
John and Mary Liddell from Ninebanks c1780s,
William Coulson and Mary Scott from Allendale c1760s,
James Vipond and Mary Ann Bell from Alston c1800s,
John Clementson and Mary Whitfield from Garrigill c1720s,
and more at
http://www.richardson.org.au/

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 March 21 06:51 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking some more at George Riddle who died 1889 and was born abt 1801.
He was a witness at the 1851 marriage of Peter’s daughter Eleanor (Moffit) Riddle and Samuel Mills.
George was a bachelor and famer.
Witness at his death was his brother-in-law James Moffit.
The death was at Lurgacullion, which is where James Moffit was living (see Griffiths Valuations).
Therefore I have assumed that James Moffit married George’s sister. So apart from Eleanor Riddle, it seems that a second Riddle girl married a second Moffit boy.
I could not find any marriages for Moffit to Riddle. However following death records we have:
•   James Moffit age 88 (born 1816, married, farmer of Lurgacullion) who died in 1904, son John Moffit present.
•   Probable wife - Eliza Moffit age 90 (born 1820, widow of a farmer) who died in 1910 at Legaroe, son John Moffit present. I am making the assumption that Eliza’s maiden name was Riddle, and she was sister to George.
(Incidentally, at the marriage of son John Moffit in 1883 to Mary Anderson, James Riddell is a witness)

continued next reply …..
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 March 21 06:52 GMT (UK) »
So I think the following are likely all siblings and children of Peter and X? Riddle:
•   George Riddle 1801-1889
•   Eleanor Riddle (married Moffit & Mills) dates unknown - 2nd marriage 1851
•   Thomas Riddle 1815/1828 -1873
•   Eliza Riddle (married Moffit) 1820-1910
•   Robert Riddle 1830? -1890 Australia (Where does 1830 birth come from? Robert died Cheltenham Vic in 1890, age 63 - so birth is 1827).

The d.o.b. of George then would suggest that parents Peter Riddle and wife were likely born in the 1770s or very early 1880s.

Note 1:
The Griffiths Valuation 1860 shows that “Legaroe” in parish Carnteel was the resident for both Thomas Riddell and George Riddell. This was Eleanor Riddle’s address at marriage, and Robert Riddell’s address at marriage. This adds weight to the theory that they were siblings. “Legaroe” was also the place of the Presbyterian meeting house.

Note 2: Eleanor (nee Riddle) and Samuel Mills may have emigrated, as I cannot find any convincing death records in Ireland.

continued next reply …..
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 March 21 06:53 GMT (UK) »
From Australian records:
Children born to Robert Riddell and Mary Rooney
•   Sarah (Riddell) Eden born abt 1854 Ireland; died 1931 Victoria.
•   William James Riddell born 1856 Adelaide SA; died 1932 Vic.
•   Robert Riddell born and died 1859 Victoria (7 months?)
•   Margaret Ann Phonix Riddell born and died 1860 Vic (5 months)
•   Mary (Riddell) Duncan born 1862 Vic; died 1926 Vic.
•   Ellen (Riddell) Shields born 1865 Vic; died 1946 Vic.
•   Ann (Riddell) Beaumont born 1868 Vic; died 1944 Vic.

Robert Riddell died 7 May 1890 Cheltenham, Vic Age 63 (born abt 1827)
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/215729738/robert-riddell

Mary (Rooney) Riddell died 30 Aug 1907 Cheltenham, Vic Age 80 (born abt 1827)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 March 21 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Samuel and Eleanor (Riddle) Mills did indeed emigrate, to the United States.  There are several trees on the 'Ancestry' website setting out aspects of their life there, though the usual health warning applies regarding the accuracy of such uploaded information -  'Caveat lector!'

In these trees, Eleanor is named Ellen Elenor Mills, before marrying Samuel Mills, she is shown as having married a John Thomas Moffitt in 1835, and having had children John (1836), George (1838), and Ann Jane (1840), before her husband John Thomas died in 1840 - sources not checked. But lots more such information is covered, should you wish to look at it (with that health warning). 

However, one intriguing aspect is a reference to an obituary in the Coshocton Age (Ohio) of 28 November 1886, which is the source of a birth year of 1813 for Ellen and may be the source of County Monaghan as her birthplace.  I say 'may', for I haven't read the obituary, but that is the birthplace stated in at least one of the trees.

Anyhow, in that light, I mention the following two baptisms, in the Donagh St. Salvator parish church (Church of Ireland) at Glasslough, County Monaghan, for a couple named Petter and Sarah Riddell of Pullis:

- George Riddell baptised on 13 November 1801;
- Sarah Riddell baptised on 8 April 1804.

These are the only baptisms I could find for this couple, as always, that may simply reflect them having moved elsewhere, for which the local parish records aren't online. BTW, there was quite a cluster of Riddells in that part of County Monaghan, for example, in the same townland of Pullis, there was a couple named John and Elizabeth Riddell with the following children baptised in the Donagh St. Salvator parish church: Sarah in 1798, Oliver in  1803, Elizabeth in 1805, and Thomas in 1813. The Tithe Applotment Books show a John Riddell in Pullis (1826), I couldn't find 'Petter' (or Peter).

Pullis is about 12 miles south of the action thus far (ie. from the area just north of Ballygawley):
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/trough/donagh/emyvale/pullis/

So really just no more than a possibility to note for now.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 March 21 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Gaffy, thanks for your excellent follow-up on my notes. It progresses the research a bit more.
I was intending to look in Ohio for the Mills when I had some more time, as I had exhausted the possibility of them having gone to Australia.

ADDED:
Death record for Ellen (Riddell-Moffit) Mills 1886 Ohio, USA
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F6KW-SP6