Author Topic: James PURVIS of Tyrone 1720-1801  (Read 633 times)

Offline CanadianMcCubbin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James PURVIS of Tyrone 1720-1801
« on: Thursday 04 March 21 17:59 GMT (UK) »
My 5th great-grandfather was James Purvis of Tyrone (b 1720 County Londonderry d 1801 County Tyrone). Birth might have been 1719 Greenlaw, Berwick, Scotland). I've done Ancestry DNA, and have confirmed with dna back to James' son Dolway Purvis (1753-1836) and his wife Sarah Hooper. It also confirms back to James Purvis (1720-1801) and his wife Mary Margaret (1724-1801). I'm pretty sure that James' parents were James Purves (1691-1774) and Joannet Pringle (1695-)...but no one else researching this Purves line seems to have confirmed the connection from Ireland back to Scotland.

Anyone else working on this PURVES/PURVIS line?   Thanks!!!
McCubbin > Smith - Whiteman - Johnstone/Johnston - Shaw - MacRobert - Halliday -
Risbey > Gamble - Weightman - Smith - Tranter - Oatridge - Watkins - Purvis - Jones - Grieve - Johnson - Nesbit - Reavely - Turnbull

Offline niccorr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James PURVIS of Tyrone 1720-1801
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Dolway Purvis born Ardboe Co Tyrone townland of Mullinahoe Farm still known as Dolways to this day Maybe there were more Dolway Purviss elsewhere but Dolway would not have been a very common name A lot of Purvis families lived in close proximity in that townland and would have been distinguished by there first names rather than their surnames