Author Topic: Scottish Traveller Families  (Read 1943 times)

Offline andgalcas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Traveller Families
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 February 22 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I have made somewhat of a breakthrough and found James Cunningham and Jane Lindsay's marriage certificate. They were married on the 9th July 1888 in St Lukes Church, Great Crosby, Lancashire. As far as I'm aware neither had any connection to the area and the two witnesses were the vicar's daughter and the vicarage gardener! Their son James was born a month later in Southport however they'd also had their 3 daughters before him: Jane born 1880 in Sunderland, Meg born 1882 in Musselburgh and Rebecca born 1885 in Mold. Jane's father is listed as Andrew Lindsay (deceased) Tin Smith. What would be the best way to tackle this now? I believe Jane had a brother called George who was born roughly 1870. Any help or advice much appreciated!
Many thanks once :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Traveller Families
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 February 22 23:12 GMT (UK) »
What makes you think Jane had a brother named George & where born, which may help others trying to help you?

Edit...I've read back, he'd be the George on the 1881 census?

What was the name & occ. of James' father?

Something I noticed was, you haven't found a son named Andrew (after Jane's father) which may be worth looking for?

Have you tried familysearch.org for the births of Jane & George?

Have you found Jane in 1871 with father Andrew?

From census records, what are the beginning & end yrs of birth for Jane as you give an approx. yr of 1863 which may differ by a few yrs?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"