Author Topic: 20th Century Jewish brick wall  (Read 10078 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 20th Century Jewish brick wall
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 20:37 GMT (UK) »
As the above people are probably living, I think their names should be removed. That's why I sent the memorial notices from the Jewish Chronicle by PM.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 20:51 GMT (UK) »
sorry didnt think will remove
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 11 March 21 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Just a little update as a thanks for your hard work - I have managed to find a cousin once removed who is a granddaughter of Vera Moss! And her Dad, Vera's son, apparently has some info. I am very happy & should get some more ancestral info too. I'll update you all again if I get more if you like.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 11 March 21 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Good news that you've made contact. Yes, do keep us updated if you'd like to.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 11 March 21 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes please - I’d love to know if my hunch re Moss/Moses was correct!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 11 March 21 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, please, update us when you can!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 11 March 21 22:52 GMT (UK) »
yes love to know I tried the United Synagogue for Rose Phillips marriage nothing matched exactly but there are a lot of Rose Phillips!!
https://www.theus.org.uk/category/find-marriage-record

index is free but I think they charge for record

Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 18 March 21 09:38 GMT (UK) »
So to update you kind people, I finally spoke to Vera's son, (Harry & Rose's grandson), yesterday. Nothing concrete but a few clues & one possibly very exciting thing I found as a result.

1) there is a story of someone being born, possibly Harry, on a ship - that the family tried to emigrate to the USA but weren't allowed in, & upon return there was a birth onboard. However my hunch is that he is getting the family sides mixed up, because Rose's eldest sister Julia's birth (b.1875) is registered in Liverpool, where their parents (Morris Phillips & Rachel Nelson) also got married in a synagogue in 1875, & around the same time Morris' brothers had emigrated to the USA, (tho I have no travel docs for them). This Phillips family had always lived in London apart from this.

2) Apparently Harry had a very wealthy uncle called Colonel Isaac Moss Vernon (spellings & accuracy of this is not to be taken too precisely! I haven't managed to find anything on google), who made his money gambling, travelled to Monte Carlo, had a collection of racehorses & a lot of property around Shaftesbury Avenue. This uncle was apparently involved in a scandalous affair that was covered in the newspapers at the time, whereby a barmaid in a pub he owned apparently fell pregnant to him & took him to court. Vera's son believes he had cuttings of this story from the Telegraph but can't find them. Apparently Harry informed this uncle's wife of the affair, which is why Harry was cut off from any inheritance from him.

3) Most interestingly, Vera's son is convinced there is a connection between the Moss Bros shop and our Harry Moss. I then googled around a bit & found this amazing genealogy thread from 2007, which gets very interesting on page 2 when they are discussing our Harry & Rose Phillips! I can't quite understand all the references, nor am I sure if they feel that indeed Harry Moss was an extended part of the same family. I know that the Harry Moss they find b. Kensington who took over the business wasn't him. But I was wondering if you experts agree with these researchers, that the Harry I am after is the same working on Shaftersbury Av in 1911 census, born in Paddington etc... I'm also going to try & contact this Squiddley1957 who was posting.

https://www.familytreeforum.com/forum/research-advice/family-history-research/67721-moss-bros-family

Any help much appreciated.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 18 March 21 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Portsmouth Evening News
Fri., March 19, 1926

“BARMAID’S CLAIM.
Estate of Racehorse Owner.
ALLEGED LOANS.

“LONDON, Friday.

“In the King’s Bench to-day, Miss Maggie Sayer, also known as Mrs. Maggie May Montague, brought an action against Capt. Stuart Reginald Moss Vernon, and Mr. Lewis Edwards, executors of the will of the late Mr. Isaac Moss, also known as Isaac Moss Vernon, owner of racehorses, [sic] Plaintiff claimed £9,717 on the ground that it was money testator had from her. The defence was a denial of liability. The Statue of Limitations was also pleaded.

“Mr. Fortune, for plaintiff, said testator owned the ‘Avenue’ Hotel, Shaftesbury, [sic] Avenue, where Miss Sayer was employed as a barmaid. In 1913 she went to live with him and remained until his death in 1925. A child was born to them. At that time testator was known as Mr. Montague.

“At times he had command of large sums, but at others was short and borrowed from Miss Sayer. She had got money partly from testator as gifts and partly from winnings on the turf. She had not kept many cheques and documents relating to loans, because she destroyed them at testator’s request. He had an idea he might be blackmailed. He died suddenly on Jan. 10 last year, and left his property apparently to another lady. The gross value of the estate was £104,000.”
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters