Author Topic: A Wedding photo family Conundrum.  (Read 6176 times)

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Wedding photo family Conundrum.
« Reply #45 on: Friday 25 March 22 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this explanation Marmalady. I was not aware. I suppose it remains inconclusive. I think this evening I shall have a go at seeing if the other identically named John James Turnbull has a Smith grandparent then at least I will be able to rule that particular census return out.

Thanks again,

Neil.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 25 March 22 21:02 GMT (UK) »

For a child of an unmarried couple to have the father named on the birth certificate, he had to be present at the Registration of the birth. If he was working and unable to have time off to go with the mother to register the birth there was no formal recognition of his relationship to the child.
So just because the father is not named does not mean that there was no on-going relationship between the father and his illegitimate child.
So Sarah Ann may well have known her father -- he may even have lived with the family for some of her early life -- and the relationship continued once she had children of her own.

If an unmarried father was present at a birth registration and named as the father, would the child still take the mothers surname?
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 25 March 22 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I am increasingly believing that the John James Turnbull who was resident as a 5 year old grandson of James Smith aged 56 is 'my' John James Turnbull and that James Smith must have been the blood father of the illegitimate Sarah Ann Tipping. James Smith was born in Stanwix. In 1861 Sarah's mother, Margaret Ann is living in Stanwix. Sarah was born in Stanwix. James is 8 years older than Margaret Ann. The boy John James is  recorded in the census as having been born in Botcherby. My John James was born in Botcherby.

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 26 March 22 11:39 GMT (UK) »

If an unmarried father was present at a birth registration and named as the father, would the child still take the mothers surname?

Depends entirely on the family circumstances. There is no hard and fast rule.

If they were all living together as a family the child may well have taken the father's name -- but could equally well have taken the mother's name

If the parents were living separately, the child is less likely to take the father's name, but again might have done.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 26 March 22 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I am increasingly believing that the John James Turnbull who was resident as a 5 year old grandson of James Smith aged 56 is 'my' John James Turnbull and that James Smith must have been the blood father of the illegitimate Sarah Ann Tipping. James Smith was born in Stanwix. In 1861 Sarah's mother, Margaret Ann is living in Stanwix. Sarah was born in Stanwix. James is 8 years older than Margaret Ann. The boy John James is  recorded in the census as having been born in Botcherby. My John James was born in Botcherby.

It seems a reasonable conclusion
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Online Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 18:53 BST (UK) »

As the guests are all wearing very impressive hats I am assuming that this was a church wedding.  I haven't checked but am assuming that Shakespeare Street was in Caldewgate in Poets corner and they would marry in Holy Trinity Church.  If everywhere was open I could have checked the marriage entry for you to see if the witnesses would give any clue.

Have checked and the wedding did take place in Holy Trinity Church, hence the magnificent head wear!.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IanShalapata

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 19 November 22 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil,

Hopefully I am not too late to the party.

To possibly add a wrench into this investigation, I note that there was a marriage of a Margaret Tiffen registered in Carlisle in 1862. On the page of possible grooms is listed a George Smith. Dec 1862 10b 580

I don't know if this helps or hinders at all.

Note: Check your PMs for a message from me.

Regards
Carlisle (from Ireland) : CLARK(E), CURRAN, SHEVELEN, LINCH

Carlisle (from Buckinghamshire) : NICHOLS

Carlisle : SKINNER, PARK, LYTOLLIS, IRVIN(G), CARRUTHERS, MASON, MONTGOMERY

Wigton : ROSS

Dumfriesshire : MORRISON, McCALLUM, CARLYLE

Lancashire : LIGHTTALLARS

Somersetshire : HOOPER

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 20 November 22 02:30 GMT (UK) »
familysearch have this marriage between Margaret TIFFEN and Thomas SEWELL 22 Dec 1862 at Christ Church, Carlisle
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKBK-JLF

(Margaret TIFFIN on the marriage registration)

So no SMITH connecton here.  ;)

Offline IanShalapata

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 20 November 22 13:20 GMT (UK) »
That solved, then. Thank you maddys52! ;D
Carlisle (from Ireland) : CLARK(E), CURRAN, SHEVELEN, LINCH

Carlisle (from Buckinghamshire) : NICHOLS

Carlisle : SKINNER, PARK, LYTOLLIS, IRVIN(G), CARRUTHERS, MASON, MONTGOMERY

Wigton : ROSS

Dumfriesshire : MORRISON, McCALLUM, CARLYLE