Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 9th March  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 9th March
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder about that too.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline antonymark

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 March 21 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roobarb,

My friend had the same trouble trying for a vaccine slot. She was told it was because everyone tries for the first available one. Her tip for me was to pick the second or third available day and pick a time like 1.25 or 2.55 as everyone will be going for the on the hour or half hour.

I might just have been lucky but I got mine at first attempt. Next Wednesday at 1.25.

Good luck, Tony.
Hoare, Milsted, Peacock, Herbert, Crampin, McIlroy, Holden, Hilton, Fawcett.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 March 21 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tony. The problem is that the local location only came up once, I chose a slot later in the afternoon as I thought the area around the location would be less busy in general and not congested with parents picking up children from school. It was my own fault I screwed that one up, have been kicking myself ever since. There's a big centre opening in the wider area very soon so I'm hoping that it'll take the pressure off the one I want. I'm pleased you got yours, hope it all goes well.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 March 21 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb: a shower curtain liner is a plastic sheet that is separate from the shower curtain.  Some people just use a liner, but with a fabric shower curtain, the latter would be constantly soaked.
Mowsehouse and Caroline, OH is cautious with his money ( he did work in a bank), even if it is mine 😁 (I am a little more likely to spend just for fun), but I would like to get him something nice for his birthday, but like a lot of men, says he doesn’t need anything.  We might go to the Bay tomorrow, used to be the Hudson’s Bay Company, now it is one of the few remaining department chains left.  They have very nice bedding, we’ll see.
We’ve had record breaking temps the past two days, over 18c today, so nice to go out without winter coat, boots, gloves, for the first time in months.  The snow melted in two days.  The dog just went out and OH said there were two rabbits in the yard, another sign of spring.  Fortunately furry boy was on his leash so frustrated in his attempt to catch them.  They lead him a merry dance, zig zagging back and forth and always going safely under the fence before he gets near them.
The colder temperatures will be back soon, apparently.  I had a British prof at university (lovely man who died too young) who said “You have no spring here...it lasts two weeks in April and then it’s summer!”  I think in England you have three months of spring!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 March 21 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Diana, it is fine to be careful with money, I even admire that, but you can't keep my things AND not allow me to give you one too!!  ;)
I think here in Devon we do get 3 months of Spring, though I doubt that is the case in the Frozen North..... perhaps the "light cardy" brigade will tell us more. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 March 21 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clarification Diana about the shower liner Diana, it makes perfect sense now. What a massive change in temperature for you, hope you enjoy it before it gets cold again.

We do get lots of spring here in the frozen north MH. Perhaps not as frozen as we let you believe.  ;) Of course that often includes March winds and April showers and here on the North sea coast we're prone to high winds and sea frets but that also applies to my friend in Kent. It keeps life interesting.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 March 21 10:17 GMT (UK) »
People often say they like Uk for the differences of seasons, where other places slide from one to another with no marked changes.
It sure does keep life interesting, and what else would we have to talk about!!  :P
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 March 21 12:22 GMT (UK) »
People often say they like Uk for the differences of seasons, where other places slide from one to another with no marked changes.
It sure does keep life interesting, and what else would we have to talk about!!  :P

I think my prof might have been exaggerating a bit!  We have at least four weeks of spring 😊.  It also depends where you are, of course.  Our fall lasts much longer than spring, about eight weeks.
No sign of any budding or flowers yet, though I did see a large insect, ugly thing, out there on Wednesday.