Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 10th March.  (Read 785 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 10th March.
« on: Thursday 11 March 21 08:52 GMT (UK) »
For the second time this year the weather was relentless, and I could not go out for a walk, however, I reviewed an e-book, so the day wasn't entirely wasted.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 10th March.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 March 21 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear MH, it must have been really bad for you to have stayed in, hope you can get out today.

My day:

Rain this morning as forecast. Did some Pilates, shortly after that I started looking again for the old phone that I last saw months ago. I wondered if it had fallen down the back of one of the drawers under the bed, pulled it out as far as I could but it doesn't run well so I pulled out the one at the other side. As well as being able to see lots of things that had fallen out I could see that there was a box jammed under the other drawer which would account for it not running properly. I emptied the second drawer so I could remove it and get at the stuff that had fallen out. Went back round and tried to wield the other drawer to get it out, there was a crack and the back board had parted from one side. I  spent ages removing everything, trying unsuccessfully to glue it back together and putting all the clothes back in the other drawer. I eventually admitted defeat and swapped the faulty drawer with one I don't use much and isn't so accessible. Put all the contents back. I was exhausted and bruised, they're big drawers and they're heavy, I'd also had to move the bed around to get them out. One thing I did learn is how much sportswear I have stored in the second drawer. Still didn't find the phone.

After a rest I went for a walk as it had stopped raining. That didn't last, it started again as I was walking through the woods, I got rather wet but wasn't too bothered. Made a casserole for tea with some chicken, didn't do anything else that was strenuous.

Watched the commission episode of Landscape Artist, the scenery in Snowdonia was stunning, I wish I could say the same for the painting. It looked to me like an illustration for an old fashioned travel guide, the colours made it look twee, I really disliked it, much the same as I felt about all her other work. When she was doing the watercolour sketch she commented that she wasn't a watercolourist, that was obvious from the way she coloured in all of the paper. Unpainted areas of paper are key in watercolour.
 If she was doing illustrations for a children's story book I'd say she was ideal for the job but I don't think she did justice to the scenery in any way. Such a disappointment when there were much more worthy winners.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 March 21 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear.... another one of THOSE days Roobarb!!  :(
Ref the drawer, when that happened here, H used wood glue round the edges for the base panel AND some wood skirting beading, (quarter circle shape,) which he then tacked as well.
But yes, they are so big I have immense problems moving them, and I hate having carpet in the bedroom, but we have no choice being in an apartment block.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 March 21 11:15 GMT (UK) »
I thought I had some wood glue but turns out I didn't so I tried with superglue, wasn't entirely surprised when it didn't work. I'll probably order some wood glue and have another go. It's so unwieldy and one of the problems is that I'll have to move the bed again to get it out, it weighs a ton because of the four drawers underneath. I do like my carpets but they certainly don't make for easy movement of furniture. I might just just ignore it for a while.  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 March 21 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't bother unless it goes again.  :P
The important part was the reinforcing l reckon.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 March 21 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I know just what you mean about draws under the beds, both of ours have them and I store spare pillows and duvets in them... trying to move the bed is almost impossible and needs someone with super human strength! It’s hard enough turning the mattresses round, which I do regularly and every 6 months turn them over for winter/summer... that’s almost impossible too as they’re so heavy...
I’m sure your phone will turn up somewhere least expected Roobarb...
Sounds like a frustrating day for you... and MH not being able to get out either...

Well what a difference a day makes having spent most of Tuesday outside the same could not be said about Wednesday!
Gloom from the off... I put my new ironing board cover on and took the new iron out if it’s box... lovely iron but it’s much heavier that I’d expected... didn’t feel like doing any actual ironing so it’s sitting on the ironing board in my work room...
A friend phoned and reminded me that it was a year ago this Saturday that they and another set of friends had been round for dinner.... not seen her since 😢 also to tell us her hubbie has been diagnosed with leukaemia... having had lots blood tests, bone marrow, a stint in hospital and now had first dose of treatment going every day..  got 21 days off now until the next lot... he’s had heart issues and surgery, then kidney problems and prostate cancer.... really feel for them, but at least despite what one reads about treatment currently for cancer patients they got onto it pretty quickly... one feels so hamstrung when you can’t help and support... but like my friend with the broken shoulder.... so that was a real damper on our day 😢
Couldn’t really settle much to anything, weather miserable read for a while, had two games of scrabble which I won by skin of my teeth so now just 1 down!
Dinner was cod steaks cooked in the oven with mushrooms and tomatoes drizzled over with rapeseed oil and lots pepper. I sweated some leeks added cannellini beans and some stock with lemon and herb cooked till thickened then lightly squashed... served with fish on top of beanmix and spear broccoli and carrots.
Watched Landscape artist final painting for presentation to NT Wales... what beautiful countryside and I loved the paintings done by Richard Wilson from the 1700’s... OH has climbed Cadair Idris in 1970’s and seen that view down to Barmouth... I did actually quite like her finished painting... but can understand why Roobarb thought it looked a bit like a tourist poster... just her style I think... just wished the camera had panned back slowly so you could get the full effect!

Another pretty dull day otherwise.... roll on 29th March when hopefully 🤞we will at least be able to go to a NT place for a change!
Take care all
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 March 21 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I  have  a 5 ft bed  with  drawers underneath, I  cannot move the  bed so  I take the drawers out and lay them on the spare bed, I always scraped my knuckles on the  door,  then  I  sit  on  the  floor and  push  the bed towards a wall and hoover, then I  push  the  bed towards  the  other wall and hoover, I am  always  appalled  at what  is  under  the  bed, never  any money!,  it  is  hard  work and  I  don't  know  how  long  I  can  do it for, I struggle  up  from  the  floor as  it  is,  I often wonder if  I  depart this  life  I  hope  I  have  hoovered  under  the  bed, like your  mother  telling you to wear  clean underwear

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 March 21 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I am now wondering if all the various things - a lovely oatmeal jumper, a dark red top, a dark red waistcoat type thing ... have somehow wriggled into the spaces between the "pull-out" drawers beneath one or other beds of that type here. I've usually bunged winter woollies in in summer, and summer things in winter, but it has annoyed me to ages about those items hiding somewhere... now: can I face the hassle?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 March 21 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Very windy night ,but I slept well.

I painted today, it was really lovely when I had finished, lots of compliments
from near neighbours.
Only used one colour- white -looked  good on the black,blue green and brown
backgrounds .
My house number and road ——- on the general waste,food and garden waste ,the tins bottles and plastics ,and the paper one.
The silly bin men get mine confused with the same number in the next road.
Now there is a surplus one that used to be mine,because  I  had  to get a new one when mine disappeared .
It has turned up again !
So the admiring neighbours have decided they will house it but anyone with a lot of packaging can use it if theirs is full.

Second son phoned.He is 62 in April, so has got a date  for his vaccination.
That makes me feel old !

Had a long chat with friend of over sixty years ,now lives in Wales,The Gower,
we had a good laugh and are in agreement about the main person in that interview.!
Staged,rehearsed,calculated  etc from the snippets we have seen.

Then another from dog walking days , we put the world to rights.
So very little work done today.

The food you ladies describe sounds delicious ,such variety and tasty ideas.

Number one son will come tomorrow with some fresh food shopping .

Good news about the horse, he has really cheered up and one more test to check his neck is OK, but can be ridden .
He lives now across the road from FH who with his Daddy does the mucking
out every morning whilst the  Franchise is  closed.
CCTV shows he does lie down .
The Vet is of the opinion something had upset him at his previous stables .
Then an ex client who removed their horse after my daughter removed hers showed my daughter some CCTV footage !
Despit Covid 19 there was a big party with motorbikes speeding round the stable yard.
The horses were frantic ,at the noise was contained in the confinement of the yard ,leaping about in their stalls and some must have sustained some
injuries.
So looking good up to now .
F.H settled at school but his friend was very upset ,when asked what could he do about that ,FH said “ I’ll have to give him a big hug”,aaaaw,!
Well ,cheerio ,look after yourselves.
Viktoria.