Author Topic: Parsons town, Offaly, 1887 - Baptism records for children born in the barracks  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Nellieginn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'm trying to find a baptism record for my Great Granduncle who I found to have been born in Parsons town in February in 1887. 

His Dad , from what info I have, was a Lance Sergeant Charles Frederick Llewellyn in the 1st Battalion on the 24th regiment (South Wales Borderers?)in Curragh Camp in 1885/6 and then Staff Sergeant Frederick Charles Llewellyn of the 4th battalion SWBorderers in Pool Town in 1888.  He had children baptized in both these places, but I can't find any military records or baptism record for his son in Parsons town in 1887. 

I'm thinking as an officer in the SWB, that maybe their time in Parsons town was transient, but as I can find no other records, I'm assuming my Great Granduncle may have been baptized in a church in or related to the barracks?  I can baptism records for all their other children before and after 1887, just not my Great Granduncle.
Any help or info on my 2nd Great Grandfather C.F Llewellyn or my Great Granduncle will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parsons town, Offaly, 1887 - Baptism records for children born in the barracks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 March 21 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I see  his birth record in 1887 the address at that time was Crinkle, these would be the Barracks.
This is outside Birr or Parsonstown as it was then.
I can't place were the Church of Ireland is.
I know there is a Methodist Church on Emmett Street.
I see all the other children were born in different parts of the UK.
I checked the rootireland site and no Baptism for him.
If the Baptism took place in the Barracks then it would be on his Army papers, but there isn't any listed for Charles on line.
Maggsie

Offline Nellieginn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parsons town, Offaly, 1887 - Baptism records for children born in the barracks
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 March 21 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the reply.  I have looked up my Great Granduncle, whose name is Valentine Charles Llewellyn, on Family search and it comes up with the details that he was born in Parsonstown on the 14 of Nov. 1887, but it's not viewable online as it's on microfiche(I have no idea how to go about asking for copies of what could be on there, or if it would say anything else than what's already stated online), but still can't find anything to say if and where he was baptized.  The other children have very meticulous baptizimal records (rank and regiment of my Great Grandfather), but nothing for my Great Granduncle Valentine........just very odd!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 March 21 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Roots Ireland has a list of parish registers with dates, A-Z by parish, divided into R.C., C. of I. and Methodist.
https://rootsireland.ie/offaly/online-sources.php

Irish Ancestors website also lists parish registers in Offaly with dates and locations.
https://www.johngrenham.com

The List of Church of Ireland Parish Registers
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/about/rcb-library/list-of-parish-registers

GENUKI pages for Birr, Offaly
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/irl/OFF/Birr
Contains a description from "Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland" 1837
"The barracks, which are about an English mile distant ...."
C. of I. church - "The living is a rectory and vicarage in the diocese of Killaloe ....  The church erected 1815 .."  Other churches - R.C. : " .. the parish, which is still called Birr, .... comprising also the parish of Loughkeen. Each of the parishes has a chapel ..." Others - "There are six other places of worship; three for Independents, one for the Society of Friends, and two for Wesleyan and Whitfield Methodists ...."
The modern map of Birr on GENUKI site doesn't have any coloured icons for church locations. GENUKI is a volunteer site and it looks like the Birr pages haven't been updated. Enlarging the map shows 2 churches in the town of Birr, Chapel Lane and Oxmantown Mall.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 March 21 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I have looked up my Great Granduncle, whose name is Valentine Charles Llewellyn, on Family search and it comes up with the details that he was born in Parsonstown on the 14 of Nov. 1887, but it's not viewable online as it's on microfiche(I have no idea how to go about asking for copies of what could be on there, or if it would say anything else than what's already stated online), but still can't find anything to say if and where he was baptized. 

Birth information is probably from civil registration on Irish Genealogy website, posted by Maggsie.
 https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ Free to view, just sign in each time.
Valentine may have been baptised at one of the Methodist or Independent churches. 
Cowban

Offline Nellieginn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 March 21 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I tried the Irish genealogy site, but it comes up with no records whatsoever for Valentine Charles Llewellyn, not even his birth record.

Not only wanting to find out where he was baptized, but also how come his Dad, who was in the South Wales Borderers, ended up in Parsonstown/ Crinkle Barracks. If anyone could point me in a direction of where that might be mentioned, I'd be very grateful.  Most of our male family members were part of the army in one way or another between 1860/70 to 1950, so a lot of searching to do.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 March 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I tried the Irish genealogy site, but it comes up with no records whatsoever for Valentine Charles Llewellyn, not even his birth record.

Here's the link to his birth record. 14th February 1887.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1887/02570/1950381.pdf
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 March 21 19:47 GMT (UK) »
I was just going to refer to that as his birth is given as November in your post, Nellieginn.

I checked it because there are two newspaper snippets on FindMyPast, 6th October 1887 mentioning the farewell to the South Wales Borderers and the arrival of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.
There are a couple of other references to the regiment.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lola5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 March 21 19:57 GMT (UK) »
St Brendans Church of Ireland or St Brendans RC church both in Birr might be the paces of baptiam neareat the barracks.