Author Topic: Parsons town, Offaly, 1887 - Baptism records for children born in the barracks  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Nellieginn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parsons town, Offaly, 1887 - Baptism records for children born in the barracks
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 March 21 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!  That is absolutely marvellous Kiltaglassan!  How on earth did you find that?  I tried so many times, with so many different ways/spellings to no avail.  My Mother will be so pleasantly surprised now with all this info.  She lost her Grandad to WW1 in Gallipoli and he's the only one I have been able to find info about.  I've only just started, so very green round the gills when it comes to knowing how and where to look.
I apologise for the misspelling of the month, that must have been autocorrection. 

A very big Thank You to everyone for being so helpful on here......I really have a lot to learn.

Offline Nellieginn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Parsons town, Offaly, 1887 - Baptism records for children born in the barracks
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 March 21 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Heywood for recommending the newspaper articles.  Is that something anyone can access or is it a subscription site?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 March 21 21:51 GMT (UK) »
It is a subscription site which carries British Newspaper archives. Sometimes you can see snippets mentioning what you are searching. I do not have access as I don’t subscribe.
It is useful at times in finding military movements in Ireland by using the Irish newspaper option.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nellieginn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 March 21 22:36 GMT (UK) »
That's great to know Heywood.  That's worth looking into.  I was thinking of trying to get in touch with the SWB in Brecon and see if they could help.  He married Great Grandma who was from Talgarth, Breconshire.  I'm hoping they would be able to fill in a lot of the gaps in one go.

Offline Nellieginn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 March 21 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, that should be SWB Museum in Brecon.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 March 21 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!  That is absolutely marvellous Kiltaglassan!  How on earth did you find that?  I tried so many times, with so many different ways/spellings to no avail. 

I found it straightaway although I wasn't sure how his surname might have been recorded. You may have been to precise and entered too many details. I used the basic search option, put a minimum amount of information, first name, surname, year range 1887-8 and ticked "birth". I left registration district box empty as I didn't know the name of the district. That decision was correct as the district was then called Parsonstown, the former name for Birr. I'd also surmised correctly that babies in Ireland with the names Valentine Llewellyn would have been few and far between.
Cowban

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 March 21 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Charles Llewellyn's army file has dates of birth for his children and their baptism details.

On FindMyPast: https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO97%2F3305%2F022%2F001&parentid=GBM%2FWO97%2F3305%2F110422

Also on Fold 3: https://www.fold3.com/image/587911184?xid=1022
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk