Author Topic: Ogg - info on ggg grandfather  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Tink22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ogg - info on ggg grandfather
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 March 21 14:56 GMT (UK) »
My mum has said she worked there, not sure how long for, no idea where she worked before Fred's birth
Researching

Stott, Reid, Horne, Willox, Sangster, Davidson, Gibb, Adie, Ogg, Smith, Campbell, Murison, Kelman, Duguid, Merchant, Livingston, Burnett, Paton, Mcneill

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 March 21 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Jeannie is showing as 'patient' but likely in error from what you say. The original image would let you confirm. I am taking this info from a commercial transcript....where it is not unknown for there to be mis transcriptions  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 March 21 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Jeannie is showing as 'patient' but likely in error from what you say. The original image would let you confirm. I am taking this info from a commercial transcript....where it is not unknown for there to be mis transcriptions  ::)

Monica

The transcript shows Jeannie Ogg listed as a patient in amongst about 100 other patients. Generally the staff are listed at the beginning - Jeannie is slap bang in the middle. But yes, if this is your Jeannie, it might be worth checking the original.

Tink, have you considered taking a DNA test? If this is your mother's family, it would be even better if she could take a test.  :)

Offline Tink22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 March 21 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I've done ancestry dna and uploaded to other dna sites, my great uncle has also tested, fred was his father so I've been looking at shared matches

There are 4 or 5 with the surname paton but they all seem to have been born in Ayrshire, can see no link to Aberdeenshire

I messaged them for info but either no response or they didn't know, so came to a dead end via dna
Researching

Stott, Reid, Horne, Willox, Sangster, Davidson, Gibb, Adie, Ogg, Smith, Campbell, Murison, Kelman, Duguid, Merchant, Livingston, Burnett, Paton, Mcneill

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 March 21 06:23 GMT (UK) »
It is good that your great uncle has taken a DNA test.

If you have matches with Patons in Ayrshire that is interesting and promising. Your Fred’s father could have come from anywhere couldn’t he?

Are they close matches?

Offline Tink22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 March 21 08:48 GMT (UK) »
It is good that your great uncle has taken a DNA test.

If you have matches with Patons in Ayrshire that is interesting and promising. Your Fred’s father could have come from anywhere couldn’t he?

Are they close matches?

Highest seems to be 39cM so not sure really

Going from the public member trees, George gallacher paton seems interesting, lists him as a gardener, 10 years older than jeannie and married, cant place him in Aberdeenshire at all

1891 census puts him in west linton, peebleshire, address says gardeners bothy, garvald, occupation gardener

He had children born in 1898 and 1899 in Edinburgh so seems unlikely he was in Aberdeenshire
Researching

Offline Tink22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 March 21 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I have a photo of jeannie, photographer is stevenson and co, 109 bothwell street, Glasgow

Would the photographer have travelled to Aberdeenshire, dont know anything about photographers in that era
Researching

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 March 21 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Some details here on the photographer www.thelows.madasafish.com/cards/stevenson.htm

No reference to another studio by that photographer other than the Glasgow one. Not to say that they couldn't travel about.

Added: Big write up on the business here https://archive.org/stream/glasgowitsenviro00unse/glasgowitsenviro00unse_djvu.txt

Just use your search and find tool (look for STEVENSON & Co., Photographers).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 March 21 23:19 GMT (UK) »
People moved around more than we might imagine, and we can never account for all of our ancestor’s movements. Jeannie and Fred’s father could have had the briefest of dalliances (anywhere).  :)

The public member tree sounds interesting. Have you considered contacting the tree owner to ask if they would be willing to take a DNA test?

Persist with your other DNA matches, and good luck for a breakthrough.  :)