Author Topic: Toton and Attenborough Nottinghamshire  (Read 1819 times)

Offline Britt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Toton and Attenborough Nottinghamshire
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the entry you've posted. If this is "our" Ann her age from census & her death certificate, this would have made her only 13 years old when she married. There wasn't any reference to her being a minor on her marriage entry, nor was there a signature of a parent giving permission for her to marry. The legal age at that time in England was 21 years.

If Ann was born in 1787 or 1788 (age on census works out to app. that), then she would have been 7 - 8 years old when Christened, it doesn't mention that she wasn't an infant, which was nearly always recorded i.e. the age of the child, the date or year of birth & I've even seen adult recorded against Christening records.

Her niece placed her death notice in the newspaper in 1861 stating that Ann was 76 years when she died, this would have her birth year as 1774 - 1775, this would then have her around 20 when she was Christened.

Thank you very much for your help, I will look further into the one that you speak of in 1795. I've also just read where Long Eaton seems to join Attenborough and it was a chaplery of Sawley at one point, so I will look also at Long Eaton.